bob_dn

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
I've been reading about Intel's Hyper-Threading and checking out the new boards that support HT.

My question is, has anyone heard anything on whether the I850E boards will support HT? Will a BIOS update make the I850E boards capable of supporting HT? If so, is it likely any MFG will update BIOS to include HT? Or will they make it exclusive on the new boards to help guarantee sales of new boards?

Also, the current P4 processors have "hyper-pipelined technology". Will Intel enable HT on these or are they unable to? Will the 3.06GHz and above be the only Intel processors to support HT?

Thanks for your advice.

IntelConvert

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
Bob~ The i850E chipset definitely supports HT and every 850E board mfr is sure to provide a BIOS to enable it (if for no other reason then to prolong the life of their board)! :wink:

Only the 3.06 P4, and later cpu's, will provide HT.

bob_dn

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Thanks.
I'm considering the Gigabyte GA-81HXP. I checked out the specs and HT wasn't included, unlike the "EP" boards which clearly include HT in the specs.
Every comparison I've seen puts the I850E boards at the top in just about every category, just need to be sure they're HT enabled.
Now I'll need to save up enough for an Intel 3.06GHz processor.
Best price I've found on an Intel P4 2.8GHz is $461 at Price Watch.
Anyone know the estimated price range for the P4 3.06 GHz?

letdown

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2002
The 3.06 hits the streets at $637 MSRP. It should drop to maybe $400 or so in Jan/Feb when the 3.2 ghz is released.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No NEW i850E motherboards have been released since Intel officially anounced they would enable hyperthreading on the 3.06GHz. What this means is...
Motherboard manufacturers RARELY update the information on their boards. I see a lot of PIII board say they support "up to 700MHz", even though any board that supports the 700 also supports the 850 (and probably the 1000E, and usually 133MHz FSB versions). The trend continues, they probably won't update their website info on that board, but you MAY see it supported under a BIOS INF file. Otherwise, it will in all likelyhood STILL be supported with the latest BIOS. Someone within these companies needs to gripe out the people who write this information as lack of information can lead to lost sales!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
I'm considering the Gigabyte GA-81HXP. I checked out the specs and HT wasn't included, unlike the "EP" boards which clearly include HT in the specs.
Every comparison I've seen puts the I850E boards at the top in just about every category, just need to be sure they're HT enabled.
Now I'll need to save up enough for an Intel 3.06GHz processor.
Best price I've found on an Intel P4 2.8GHz is $461 at Price Watch.
Anyone know the estimated price range for the P4 3.06 GHz?
I850E boards may be at the top in just about every category, but that won't last long with Granite Bay (E7205) boards coming out in 3 weeks. E7205 boards should perform as well or better than i850E boards.

Finally, I can't imagine why you are even looking at the 2.8 (high price and no HT)! If you wanted a 533MHz P4 to tide you over until the 3.06 (with HT) becomes affordable, your best bet is a 2.4B for $190.

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
intel dont plan to release a new speed grade before at lease 2 month after 3.0 and also no price cut after 3.0 ghz dont expect a big price cut

Now what to do??