Repairing computer after virus

My antivirus software tells me I have a winshow virus as well as a javabyte
virus which I cannot repair. This changes my homepage and floods me with
adult sites. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? I tried downloading a
patch from microsoft but on rebooting I got an error message stating the
download nad not taken effect. Is my computer truly broken? Somebody please
help
--
Barny
3 answers Last reply

    "Barnaby Griffin" <BarnabyGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:BB3C01BB-175B-4D89-B424-ADD3FE42E2CF@microsoft.com
    > My antivirus software tells me I have a winshow virus as well as a
    > javabyte virus which I cannot repair. This changes my homepage and
    > floods me with adult sites. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it?
    > I tried downloading a patch from microsoft but on rebooting I got an
    > error message stating the download nad not taken effect. Is my
    > computer truly broken? Somebody please help

    Winshow: http://doxdesk.com/parasite/Winshow.html
    http://www.pestpatrol.com/MS/pestinfo/W/winshow.asp
    How to remove Coolwebsearch and affiliates
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm#Coolwebsearch

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Hi Barny

    Try these programs to check for any spyware that may be on your system:

    Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    CWShredder - http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

    Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

    Also see the following links:

    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Barnaby Griffin" <BarnabyGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:BB3C01BB-175B-4D89-B424-ADD3FE42E2CF@microsoft.com...
    > My antivirus software tells me I have a winshow virus as well as a
    > javabyte
    > virus which I cannot repair. This changes my homepage and floods me with
    > adult sites. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? I tried downloading
    > patch from microsoft but on rebooting I got an error message stating the
    > download nad not taken effect. Is my computer truly broken? Somebody
    > please
    > help
    > --
    > Barny

    Thank you, I thought I'd just replied to this but I must have clicked on new
    posting instead. Could you respond to my new posting "Thanks but". Sorry
    about this

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi Barny
    >
    > Try these programs to check for any spyware that may be on your system:
    >
    > Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    > Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    > CWShredder - http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    >
    > Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

    > Also see the following links:
    >
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Barnaby Griffin" <BarnabyGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:BB3C01BB-175B-4D89-B424-ADD3FE42E2CF@microsoft.com...
    > > My antivirus software tells me I have a winshow virus as well as a
    > > javabyte
    > > virus which I cannot repair. This changes my homepage and floods me with
    > > adult sites. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? I tried downloading
    > > patch from microsoft but on rebooting I got an error message stating the
    > > download nad not taken effect. Is my computer truly broken? Somebody
    > > please
    > > help
    > > --
    > > Barny