Repairing computer after virus

My antivirus software tells me I have a winshow virus as well as a javabyte
virus which I cannot repair. This changes my homepage and floods me with
adult sites. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? I tried downloading a
patch from microsoft but on rebooting I got an error message stating the
download nad not taken effect. Is my computer truly broken? Somebody please
help
--
Barny

"Barnaby Griffin" <BarnabyGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BB3C01BB-175B-4D89-B424-ADD3FE42E2CF@microsoft.com
> My antivirus software tells me I have a winshow virus as well as a
> javabyte virus which I cannot repair. This changes my homepage and
> floods me with adult sites. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it?
> I tried downloading a patch from microsoft but on rebooting I got an
> error message stating the download nad not taken effect. Is my
> computer truly broken? Somebody please help

Winshow: http://doxdesk.com/parasite/Winshow.html
http://www.pestpatrol.com/MS/pestinfo/W/winshow.asp
How to remove Coolwebsearch and affiliates
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm#Coolwebsearch

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi Barny

Try these programs to check for any spyware that may be on your system:

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
CWShredder - http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

Also see the following links:

http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Barnaby Griffin" <BarnabyGriffin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:BB3C01BB-175B-4D89-B424-ADD3FE42E2CF@microsoft.com...
> My antivirus software tells me I have a winshow virus as well as a
> javabyte
> virus which I cannot repair. This changes my homepage and floods me with
> adult sites. Does anyone know what I can do to fix it? I tried downloading
> patch from microsoft but on rebooting I got an error message stating the
> download nad not taken effect. Is my computer truly broken? Somebody
> please
> help
> --
> Barny

Thank you, I thought I'd just replied to this but I must have clicked on new
posting instead. Could you respond to my new posting "Thanks but". Sorry
about this