gigabyte ga-5aa no sound/modem on pci

vw111

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
Help!! I have upgraded a customer's pc with a newer motherboard, a Gigabyte ga-5aa, amibios rev. f7b, motherboard rev. 2.2. I can't get his sb audiopci souncard to work, nor his Lucent 56k modem. All the equipment was tansferred to this board from a Redfox ss7 board with an earlier version of the Ali chipset, the main difference being the ami bios. We've reformatted many times with both 98se and xp, same problem. Tried one card at a time, no difference. Checked for any conflicts: none. Tried the cards in other machines w/ award bioses, and they still work great. Tried other cards on this board, and the only two cards that will work are a sb16 and usr 33.6 both isa. Windows finds and will install the proper drivers for the pci cards, but the audiopci will only show its playing a sound, and the Lucent modem will dial to the internet and fail at connecting (my isp uses all Lucent 56k modems). Please help, for this is one machine that, after 2 months, I want to see gone out the door.

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I would recommend going into bios and checking all your settings, make sure you have onboard sound disabled. If the board has an agp slot, try not to use the pci slot below the agp slot. Have you tried updating the bios on the new board and downloading the latest drivers for everything, including motherboard drivers, if there are any?

vw111

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
The board doesn't have onboard sound, and I even tried one card at a time in slot #3 on a fresh os, but no luck. To be exact, the only card I ever tried in slot #1 was a nic card, which seemed to work ok.