Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP

Last response: in Motherboards
October 25, 2002 8:58:05 AM

I'm currently experiencing a problem with my GA-7VAXP, and would like any help that can be provided.

The setup:

Gigabyte GA-7VAXP Mobo [Rev. 1101, BIOS ver. F4]
1.4Ghz AMD Athlon Thunderbird
2 x 256MB Corsair XMS DDR333 CL2 RAM
VisionTek GeForce 4 Ti4600
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum w/ Live Drive
16X Buslink DVD-Rom
40x12x40 Samsung CD-RW SW-240
100GB Western Digital Special Edition Hard Drive
Antec SX1240 Full Tower Case w/ 400W Antec Power Supply
Windows 2000 Professional SP2, Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2

The Situation:

System crashes randomly during use, and especially when applications are initializing connections over TCP/IP. I have narrowed down the problem to the "Top Performance" option included in the BIOS of the mobo. When this option is enabled, the system exhibits the aforementioned problems.

The Problem:

Is it the Motherboard or the RAM causing the problem? I know the system supports DDR333 RAM and with Top Performance enabled, this sets the CAS Latency to 2 (Disabled the latency is 2.5). I know the RAM is up to par, since the DIMMs I ordered are Corsair XMS DDR333 CL2 (as listed on package, I triple checked).

I still have both these items under a 30 day warranty so if anyone else has had similar problems, and has had the ability to test either their RAM or mobo to test which one was responsible please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing: one that sounds good, and a real one. -JP Morgan

More about : gigabyte 7vaxp

October 25, 2002 12:10:45 PM

luckily you have 2 sticks of RAM. So try it out with each one individually and see if you still get the problem. That may help narrow it down.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
October 27, 2002 1:06:26 AM

A very good idea, one that I had completely overlooked. However, after testing I am still in the same position. Neither DIMM worked with the 'Top Performance'. So I'm going to call the company I bought it from on Monday and see what they say. Definitely good advice you gave.

A man generally has two reasons for doing a thing: one that sounds good, and a real one. -JP Morgan
!