Problems with Pentium 4 system

hannes_4

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
Hi, I bought a system I thouht would be very stable, unfortunately it doesn't function as expected :/

The system ramdomly reboots (not entirely randomly - mostly when i do something. This triggering action
might be anything tho, like moving a window, closing a program, exiting windows or... anything .. )

It seldom hangs, but it happens .. it mainly reboots

And.. when scrolling documents i get noice in sound-out (not loud, but still..)
Lowering the sound or even turning it off in the mixer controll doesn't affect the scroll-noice
(.... I'm using the onboard audio on my asus mobo)

Im using WinXP Pro and, it has this function that creates error reports - have lots of em' but
dont know how to "decode" - is it only a mem dump or what information can be found in these
files ?

Also using Asusprobe, and I have a CPU maxtemp around 35 C.. idle it's about the same as the air in the
case (normally 28, 29 C) - the current seem stable, only +12 V varies a little (very little)...

I have this hardware, have nothing else connected:

(boxed) Intel Pentium 4 2,26 GHz (533Mhz fsb) (not oc'ed)
Asus P4T533-C
2 * Kingston valueram 128MB pc1066 rambus (16bit)
ATi Radeon 8500 (not oc'ed)
LG CD-RW 32/10/40x
Chiftech 340W PSU
...and
KeyTronic keyboard
Logitech wingman gaming mouse
WD harddrive
Sony floppy

The post report (a voice on my mobo) sometimes told me the system couldn't boot due to cpu overclocking
when I booted (I hadn't oc'ed my cpu) - this never happend when rebooting from in windows tho.
This problem disappeared when I maually set the cpu frequensy.. isn't this weird ?

I guess the reboots could be a software problem, but the noice when scrolling in documents - don't u think
this problem could only depend on the motherboard(hardware) ? ..

Well, would be very greatful for any advice on how to pinpoint my errors/problems .. tnx in advance

hannes

Check your 12 volt and 5 volt rails in the bios hardware monitor section. I have the p4s533, and if the 12v rail falls below 11.7, the onboard voice reporter goes bonkers, and reports "cpu not installed" even when disabled. You might also try a bios flash, but check your bios number using sandra or cpuid. You may already have the latest version.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I had the same issue on my P4T533 board. It was my power supply and board. Bad power from both gave me the same results as you have here. Just get that back to a shop and get them to ohm meter test the hardware then RMA either or, or both componets.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right, people say it shouldn't go more than 10% out of ideal, but they forget something: many 12v devices (the subcomponents themselves) are made to run off the voltage of a car battery (because the subcomponents can be used for many portable devices, as well as PC's). Now the USABLE voltage of a car battery ranges from 11.9v (almost dead) to 13.8v (fully charged). IMO power supplies should also fall within this range, not within +/- 10% of 12v (10.8v to 13.2v). What I'm saying is that I don't like 12v to fall below 11.9v

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heh, you got the "NO CPU INSTALLED, NO CPU INSTALLED" and proceeded to boot too huh? Some whacked stuff.

I had a few other whacked voice reports too before that mobo died a horrible death, I was only at 3.0GHz and the display went bad like video card overclocked too far or bad video ram and the system started playing "sianara" in four part harmony. I did not have time to reach for the power button before all the lights went out and the mobo was deaded. The video card was fine in the next system as well as the CPU.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.