HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
how do i use this as a second set of standard IDE ports on the EPOX 8k5a2+?
i would like to run my CDROMs on these ports, if possible.
thanks in advance everyone. :)

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
The HPT372 does not support ATAPI. So you cannot use these IDE ports for CDROMs.

<i><b>Artificial intelligence will never be a match for natural stupidity</b></i>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, if i put my hard drives on here, would i be able to use it as single drives, and not have to run raid? and would i see a performance drop from setting it up like this? (running the hard drives off the HPT? i dont know how it compares to the via chip )
thanks for the response! :) the sooner i can get some of this figured out, the sooner i can GO TO SLEEP! :)

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ok, so i can move my 40 gig to first ide port on the raid controller, and my 10 gig to the other ide port on the raid controller, and the put the cdroms on each of the standard ide controller ports?
this wont kill windows....? i just got everything working and insatlled (minus the cdroms)

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right, you can do that. My friend has an IDE adapter that doesn't support ATAPI standard but does support UDMA devices (in other words, it doesn't support PIO CD drives). Funny thing, he had TWO CD devices, one that wouldn't read some CDR's and another that would read those but didn't support UDMA. He had a bootable CD-R disk, but had to put the non-UDMA drive on the standard controller to use it to boot from...
Anyway, if you set your BIOS to boot off the UDMA controller, you should be fine.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, its onboard...the motherbard has the HPT372 chip on it. im going to try and put it like that, cause i need my cdroms now ;) LOL
thanks for the replys, i'll let you guys know if this works... :)

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
alright, hard drives on the raid channels, and cdroms on the ide channels.
working fine :)
only drawback is i cant monitor the D740x's temperature!
oh well, i can live with that i think. just kinda a drawback...
anyone know a way around this? or is it a lost cause?

-DAvid

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
only drawback is i cant monitor the D740x's temperature!
Nice feature. I never heard of that before. Is that some special Maxtor tool you use for that? If thats the case they probably invented (yet another) proprietary command for that. This is probably why it doesnt work through the RAID controller.

<i><b>"I don't understand what it is! Let me kill it!" -- Worf</b></i>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, the maxtor has an internal temp diode that can be accessed by Motherboard monitor 5.2.0.0 (i think there was an update patch for 5.0.0.0). i tried setting MB to check for SCSI temp readings for hard drives, but it still didnt find it. so i dont know. i dont know of any other hard drives that can read the temp. i think it was kinda handy though, especially when i was trying to figure out where i wanted the air to go in my case, and where i wanted to put my 40 gig. (if it was hot in one area, but cooler in the other, i would either move a fan, or move the hard drive, whichever was more convienient)
maybe there will be an update for MBM? i dont know. would be nice tho :)

-DAvid

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Yes, the problem must be the program that doesnt expect to see more than one IDE controller.

<i><b>"I don't understand what it is! Let me kill it!" -- Worf</b></i>

TRENDING THREADS