GA-7VRXP Promise Raid Controller problems

Burst

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2002
Well, lately my computer has been trying to detect my Promise PDC20276 ATA 133 RAID controller drivers on startup. It will boot up and say "Detecting /" and something about MBUltra133 drivers not being detected i beleive.

But i dont need my Promise Raid Controller at this time because I am only running 1 HD. There is no need for my Raid drivers to be installed, right?

What confuses me is why it is trying to detect my Raid controller in the first place when I don't need the drivers installed. I go into my device manager and under "Other Devices" it will show the Raid Controller. And in the properties it says its location is PCI bus 0, device 15, function 0 (?).

Now there is an option to go into my BIOS and under "Integrated Peripherals" I can choose the following for the onboard promise chip:

OnBoard PROMISE Chip: Raid (Enable onboard RAID device) OR ATA (Enable onboard ATA Device. Default value) OR Disable (Disable onboard ATA/RAID Device), Disable being the choice i could make.

But would that cause me more harm than good? Would it get rid of my computer always trying to detect my Raid Controller? OR would it be easier to go to the Gigabyte Site, download the Promise 20276 Driver and let it be installed on my computer? But I don't *need* it installed, so why should I?

My computer runs fine except for this 1 annoying thing. I just don't want it to detect the Controller on startup, as it is quite bothersome. Any Suggestions? Thanks

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
It will boot up and say "Detecting /" and something about MBUltra133 drivers not being detected i beleive.
I believe the RAID controller (bios) attempts to detect if any harddrives are connected.
But i dont need my Promise Raid Controller at this time because I am only running 1 HD. There is no need for my Raid drivers to be installed, right?
Right.
And in the properties it says its location is PCI bus 0, device 15, function 0 (?).
Although its an embedded controller, it still connects to the PCI bus.
I would expect that its possible to disable the controller in the bios or using some jumper on the mobo. When disabled it should not try to detect drives at startup, and shouldnt appear in the device manager.
If you disable the controller in windows, it just stops windows from autodetecting the controller and attempting driver install. This will not disable startup detection.

<i><b>"I don't understand what it is! Let me kill it!" -- Worf</b></i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HammerBot on 10/26/02 09:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Burst

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2002
Ok, thanks for your insight HammerBot. But do you think that there is any harm in installing the RAID Controller so it will stop trying to detect it on Startup?
That is what i am trying to accomplish.

Loknar

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
I don't beleive it is trying to detect the RAID controller, but that the RAID controller is trying to detect if there are drives connected to it. Therefore "installing" it won't do a difference. I think the best option is to set it to disable in the BIOS. That's what I did and I have no problem and it doesn't try to search if there are drives connected to it durring bootup anymore.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
HD detection when you boot is very fast when there is a drive connected and that Promise controler is faster and less CPU dependant than the onboard GA-7VRXP IDE controler. Maybe you should
1-install the drivers
2-plug your HD on the raid controler
3-change the BIOS to boot on the RAID controler
4-have fun.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I have a gigabyte motherboard with an intergrated RAID controller which I dont use, all i needed to do to disable it was to change a jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3. Now it does not try and detect any RAID devices and simply boots up as a normal computer without RAID would.

Why use windows when you can use doors?

Rubberbband

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
I have the same mobo and have built another system using it too. Disable the Promise chipset in the Bios. This will stop it from searching for drives at startup. When you want to go into a raid 0 config you'll be formatting and re-installing windows anyways so then re-enable it prior and instal the drivers. Enjoy the board it's amd OK choice.

The Men Behind the GUNS!

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=327" target="_new"><b>MY SYSTEM</b></A>