Peter_Kanchev

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002
Hello. I'm going to buy a new PC and i want an advice which CPU is better: AthlonXP or P4? I'll use the PC for: games, 3DStudioMAX and MAYA. So... it's your turn... what do you think is the better solution and WHY?

I want the MB with AGP8X, DDR400 and ATA133.
For AMD i selected GA-7VAX
But Intel still don't have such a MB. Dou you think Intel will create such soon? And is it worthy to wait for it?
And the final question if i buy P4 is: Intel or SiS chipset and why?

Thank you in advance :)

Rynthar

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
i am only replying to this to tell you that asking a question like this, especially one that has been asked many times and given the same responce, can't be answered =) First, since there are so many factors on AMD v Intel outside performance wise such as price, what the comp is gonna be used for, etc. Best guess is do some research on your own, which works MUCH better then asking other people,, for they dont know what you want.

jskubick

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002
My advice would be to go with the Athlon. It's true that the fastest available Pentium 4 at any instant in time can usually outperform the fastest avaiable Athlon under a few well-known conditions. On the other hand, AMD's speed ratings are generally conservative. For the most part, a 2400XP meets or comfortably exceeds the performance of a 2.4GHz Pentium 4. Except the AMD chip costs about a hundred dollars less -- leaving you with another hundred bucks to spend on a better video card, where you'll see the REAL payback in terms of raw game performance. Or maybe a pro-series 19" monitor instead of a CompUSA or Best Buy consumer-grade model (when it comes to 19" monitors, there's a night-and-day difference between what $250 will get you at a retail store vs what $350 will get you mail-order).

SO... if you were already planning to buy the best video card money can buy at the time and want the fastest bare-metal performance money can buy, a P4 system will probably win out. But if you're trying to make up your mind between the fastest P4 available with a less-capable video card, or the fastest Athlon available with a best-of-breed video card, you'd be INSANE to go with the Pentium 4 system. :)

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Go for Athlon XP. 3DStudioMAX and Maya runs much better in AXP compared to P4.

All of AGP 8X and DDR400 is worthless. No games currently benefit from AGP 8X. After 2-3 years we may see games that relly benefits from AGP 8X. And AXP gains 0% performance from DDR400. DDR333 is enough.

I recommend you to get a KT333 mobo. MSI KT3 Ultra2 is my choice. You may wait for nForce2 boards. They should be available soon. nForce2 + Dual channel DDR333 will be better than KT333 + DDR333 or KT400 + DDR333/400

What Audio Compression Technology you use for storing music? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=25137#25137" target="_new"> Tell Here</A>

I'm going to recommend the p4, but only with top quality memory. If you don't have the bucks for pc2700 or pc3200 memory, stick with the athlon. I personally like the p4 because it is quieter, the heatsink is a much better design, and you don't have to worry about it frying if the clip breaks on the socket assembly (extremely rare, but it happens). For a budget, I would go with the gigabyte 8sg667 (sis 648) or albatron px845pev (Intel 845pe), both around $100. My backup pc is an athlon xp1700, so there is no prejudice here.

Peter_Kanchev

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2002
OK... that's what I've chosen from AMD and Intel:

AMD:GA-7VAX , AthlonXP 1900+, 256 DDR400 Kingston
Intel:GA-SG667, P4 1800MHz, 256 DDR400 Kingston

So... what's better?

athalus

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2001
i agree with the 1st poster. there is no true answer. you simply have to do your research and decide for yourself.
fyi: i'm currently using an athlon 1700 xp. it will be upgraded to a 2000 xp once i finish setting up my new 2.4b p4. (i bought the processor before i decided to build the new p4.)

which is better? both due the jobs that i want them to do: my athlon for gaming, internet etc (running w98) and is about 1 1/2yrs old. my p4 which i plan on adding a dvd-r to, which was built yesterday, and i plan on making my own dvd's and will become my primary machine, including gaming and internet, around x-mas. therefore both are great machines and i don't regret building either one.