Sign in with
Your question

Team Fortress 2 Review

Last response: in Video Games
October 18, 2007 5:34:56 AM

The long-awaited sequel Team Fortress 2 has finally arrived with Orange Box. Valve's aim is to take online multiplayer action to an exciting new level. Does TF2 succeed?

http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2007/10/18/team_fortress_2_review/

More about : team fortress review

October 18, 2007 1:40:21 PM

I started playing FPS online all the way back to Quake 1 and TF, although my favorite has always been Quake 2 Rocket Arena.

I've been playing TF2 every day since it came out, and before because I prepaid for beta access. It's that damn good! It does need more maps, and quickly. There are already some compiled maps out, from older games. They are decent, but not quite as fun as the ones that came with TF2. You'll get any new maps that players release for it, because the game auto downloads from any server you connect to running it.

I see this game just getting better and better, more maps, mods, etc etc. The one thing all the new games have over older games, is much better animation. No jerkiness, or less frames when another player is running. I don't care about graphics that much, but I notice bad animation in the older games more then anything else. TF2 just runs smooth like butter, amazing netcode, smooth cartoon like animation. Fantastic game!
October 18, 2007 5:11:32 PM

I've probably played more original TF (for quake) than any other game. I played it religiously for probably 2-3 years, so its safe to say that I am a huge TF fan. That being said, I love the new game, but, the lack of grenades hurts the game in a bad way. I am not a hardcore FPS fan, but I do log at least a few hours a week playing one online FPS or another and grenades are often more useful than your main weapon in any of the games. The old TF also had such awesome unique grenades. I figured they would have expanded on this part of the game, which was one of my favorite things. I mean there were the standard grenades as well as napalm, nail, concussion, emp, mirv, etc. Not to mention the user added mods like flying mirvs, needle drops, etc. I have actually stopped playing the game and am waiting for Valve / the modding community to add grenades into the game.

The only other major issue that I had with the game, which isn't as bad as not having grenades, is that the medic can't spread infections any more. In the old TF, the medic could use his med kit on the enemy and infect them, this infection would then spread to any enemies they contacted. Its not really game breaking, since it was easy to cure infections and they usually didn't kill, but it made the medic a fun class to play (who wants to just follow the heavies around?).

There are a few minor changes that also detract from the game:
- No pyro rocket launcher
- No rail gun
- No shotgun for demoman
- Delay on triggering demoman alternate grenades (took the demoman down from being the best class to middle of the row, which may have been the point)

TF2 is really well done, I just don't understand why they took some of my favorite features from the old version out of the new one (and seriously, NO grenades at all? I wouldn't play any FPS online without grenades). But, given the mod community associated with TF, I'm sure there will be some awesome mods that will add these features back in and more. I look forward to it.
Related resources
October 18, 2007 5:52:37 PM

i would say the reason they got rid of granades was to force people into close combat more. which to me is so much more fun then gettign spammed by granades like the old tf( or say a newer game such as bf2).

i love the game and think they did a very good job balencing each class for its specific role.

but i definitly have to miss the shotgun for a demo. but looking at what they accomplished it all works out and is a killer game that i am addicted to.
October 18, 2007 9:17:05 PM

Once again a sub par game gets a great score. Quake wars has better graphics better depth and better classes with more accurate shooting. How can I read reviews from here when these games that are not as fun, good looking, or replay value as quake wars get a better review. Now I know that these reviews must be bought and paid for. Portal and TF2 got a better review then quake wars when it is the better game.
October 19, 2007 12:06:27 AM

Quote:
Once again a sub par game gets a great score

I'm not so sure about that..
I bought the Orange Box primarily for Portal and Episode 2...
As far as TF2 goes I can say this.
My young son who is 5 yrs old ( ---Insert--- "flame away about bad parenting here" ---Insert--- ) has been playing TF2 and is actually doing very well at it..
I was watching on Sunday when he was playing as the Engineer and had enough sense to set up a sentry gun on the capture point and "upgrade" it!
He was 3rd or 4th on his team in scoring from about 10-12 ppl !

I've only watched so far and not actually played this game; and I believe that it will be a game on par with CS in terms of "player addiction factor / CpL attraction"!

oh and btw ...

I checked your link: and 2 of the games in that "top 10" listing are Sims games .....
Gimme a break :ange: 
October 19, 2007 3:09:37 AM

Token_Z said:
http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_quake-wars-slays-the-...

It is the top game this week. I think it is about time some one else reviews this game and give it a score that it deserves.

I haven't played either game, so I don't have a real opinion on either game. But what I'd like for you to do is to find the Quake, Enemy Territory thread and let us know WHY you think it's the greatest game.

Similarly, in this thread, I have no problem with you thinking TF 2 is so bad, but it doesn't mean much to me, unless I know why.
October 19, 2007 5:05:09 AM

Token_Z said:
Now I know that these reviews must be bought and paid for.

:sarcastic: 

Indeed. Or...is it also possible that we disagree? That we feel that Portal and TF2 are better than Quake Wars? It is OK to disagree on things. Even on the internet.
October 19, 2007 5:14:02 AM

Token_Z said:
Once again a sub par game gets a great score. Quake wars has better graphics better depth and better classes with more accurate shooting. How can I read reviews from here when these games that are not as fun, good looking, or replay value as quake wars get a better review. Now I know that these reviews must be bought and paid for. Portal and TF2 got a better review then quake wars when it is the better game.

Token_Z, I'm happy to indulge the rantings and complaints of a disgruntled gamer who thinks that a reviewer is mildly retarded or "newbish" or just plain wrong because a title scored lower than the gamer thinks. Lord know I've been there myself. But what I'm not going to do is sit by and have you ride your Quake Wars high horse into my neck of the woods and attack our integrity. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this once and assume that the comment about Tom's Games reviews being "bought and paid for" was hyperbole that was born in a frustrated moment full of ingorance, and not something that you really believe. But please don't do it again. The only people that pay us for reviews are the owners of Tom's Hardware.

If you want to call us retarded, go for it. If you want to whine about how we didn't give your favorite game a better score because we're idiots or newbs or jackasses, be my guest. But don't question our integrity. We take journalism seriously here and we are not for sale.

And by the way, you must have a real bug up your ass about Quake Wars, since the average score on Metacritic is 8.5 (we gave it an 8.0, BTW, which is still a good score). Meanwhile, Team Fortress 2 has an average score of...well, you know, what? F*** it, go look it up yourself. I'm done schooling for tonight...

P.S. And while you're at, TRY PLAYING TEAM FORTRESS 2. I'm getting the distinct feeling that you haven't actually played TF2 and are content to just criticize from afar. If I'm wrong, then write a rebuttal that's informative and well-researched instead of cheap, petty drive-by insults.
October 19, 2007 6:55:51 AM

Team Fortress 2 is the only game I can think of in ages that has had me howling with laughter.

I think perhaps the very best element of Team Fortress 2 is the comedy factor involved. Portal is funny in its own, distinct ways, but TF2 bears elements of Pixar's "The Incredibles" mixed with a healthy dose of Looney Tunes cartoon violence but with blood and guts (think Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam blasting cannons at each other between two forts...) and 1960's spy movie clich├ęs. It's a multiplayer shooter based on an absolutely absurd, comical concept with a motley crew of misfit, violent cartoon characters that form two opposing 60's er... spy outfits? uh... that blow the crap out of each other and try to capture each other's bases for no obvious reason other than for the sake of setting the backdrop of a game of Team Fortress :lol:  . Every element of the game design revolves around creating a brilliant parody of not only the game's predecessors, but also the genre, gaming, game design, and movie stereotypes, all at once. Team "Red" and Team "Blu" (note that they intentionally spelled it B-L-U) fight it out in ridiculous locations with ridiculous heroes armed with ridiculous weapons where RED and BLU always stand for some hokey acronym that's a "cover" for the missile base or whatever, and it's pure outrageous fun. Furthermore, the cell-shaded style of the game lets the Source engine fly at very high speeds on most computers, even with all of the effects turned up, which translates into low latency and lots of neat shader effects applied to cartoon graphics. (For those of you that ever played The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker or Killer7 you've seen the potential of "cartoon" rendering already, this just kicks the intensity up a few notches.)

I never played the original team fortress, I've never played Quake arena, and I've only ever played Counterstrike on a LAN with my friends. Large scale multiplayer never really truly appealed to me (I don't partake of MMORPGs either, though I do play old-school RPGs that use dice). But the minute I watched Valve's "Meet the Heavy" and "Meet the Demoman" promo videos on the Valve site, I knew I had to play this game. I was right. It keeps you coming back for another round. And then another. And another. And as you learn the strategies of the different characters (such as assassinating an enemy as the spy and then quickly disguising yourself as that same character type, which allows you to masquerade in the enemy base for a few critical moments in a more 'credible' costume since they just saw the guy, their actual team-mate, right there) it gets even more interesting.

The character archetypes are also hilariously played to the hilt... the facial expressions and voice acting are a riot, especially the "gloat" actions (press the G key in the game to watch from a 3rd person view) and the idiosyncrasies are part of the fun... For example, the spy wearing some kind of high-tech holographic balaclava... AND a grey pinstripe suit (instead of a proper "spy" outfit) :pt1cable:  :lol:  or the Wile E. Coyote/ACME-inspired weapons and contraptions that the Engineer sets off are great for a laugh.

Personality? Perhaps... I'd put it a little differently... The game is designed and plays with a certain penchant for the absurd that makes it stand out and puts a stupid grin on your face, that stays there. Plus it's the only comedy-multiplayer-online-FPS that I can think of.
October 19, 2007 8:00:04 AM

Retrogame said:
but TF2 bears elements of Pixar's "The Incredibles"

Somebody beat me to it, exactly what I thought when I saw it :lol: 

It just looks like The Incredibles so much.
October 19, 2007 1:15:43 PM

I did not insult that much did I?, I am not a flamer or a troll I have been a toms fan for a couple months. I just thought that the reviews needed a regulars gamers voice. Yes TF2 is fun but not as deep as ET.
October 19, 2007 2:17:50 PM

It's a pretty violent game, but it doesn't take itself to seriously. The look reminds you that your playing a game. The gore is over the top, but again more to make fun of the violence in these games. The engineer and his ACME contraptions. I like realism in games as much as the next guy, but they figured why do the same look everyone is going for.

We just need more maps, I played several new player made maps last night. One good, one awful, some in between, but even trying new maps is fun. I really like the old western town maps, that the game came with, I'd like some that were a bit larger though.
October 19, 2007 8:46:04 PM

Token_Z said:
I did not insult that much did I?, I am not a flamer or a troll I have been a toms fan for a couple months. I just thought that the reviews needed a regulars gamers voice. Yes TF2 is fun but not as deep as ET.

I've hated every other online FPS game to date, except TF2. I've played ET: Quake and it bored me to tears. I recently played the UT3 demo and made it through 2-3 fragfests before uninstalling it.

TF2 is the only online FPS that I will still go back and play for a few hours at a time and not be frusturated or bored with. Just because a game has so-called "depth", does'nt necesarilly mean it is a better game than another. I don't need 1000 objectives to complete in one match in order to feel like i've played something worth while. All I need is my trusty Medics heal cannon and the knowledge that my efforts in-game have actually helped my team to win and I derive much more satisfaction than running around a million square-mile map trying to figure out what the heck I need to do next with no real sense that I'm actually playing as part of a team. At least thats how I feel. Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one and most of the time they are all full of sh*t, mine included. Enjoy your ET:QW, I'll enjoy my TF2 and we can both be happy.
October 20, 2007 2:25:22 AM

Token_Z said:

That is your personal opinion. Travis and Rob are reviewers with their own opinions about what kind of games they prefer, and that will skew the final score. It is not easy to be objective about games. IMO it is harder to do a decent review of a game than hardware, because there is no set way that you review a game. The expectations of hardware reviews are pretty much the same across the board: A few graphs and benchies here, a nice pic there and throw in a few overclocks. As for game reviewers, their opinions aren't meant to represent the true relative ranking of a game (since that can't really be determined), but they are useful for getting an idea of what to expect. If they gave a game 3.5/10, I guarantee there is somebody else who would give it 9/10, but it's likely that the majority of people will find the game quite poor. And that's what reviews are aimed at - the majority. Personally, I fount ET an absolute bore, and I haven't played TF2 so I can't comment on that.
October 24, 2007 12:11:03 PM

I don't see any other game coming out this year that will pull me away from TF2.
The game is load of fun to play but there is still room to improve it.

-need new maps big time (custom maps blow right now)
-need some way to counter/destroy demoman sticky bombs
-need a timer on spy sapper or limited number of them a spy can carry

TeamFortress 2 > Enemy Territory: Quakewars
The developers of quakewars changed way too much of the game core play style, its not enemyterritory2,(like the game developers claim it to be) thats why its player base isn't that big.
They should of just made a newer version of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory with newer graphics and some new features in the game.
I played the beta and demo of quakewars, the game isn't all that and is far from the old play style of wolf-ET.
I did like how the developers kept in touch with the community, i haven't seen any other game developer do that.

I don't think Enemy Territory: Quakewars will grow that big, once CoD4 comes out its numbers could go down.
I won't buy a video that a developer puts in-game streaming ad's in, the ad's will never fit into a first person shoot game at all, the only game people wouldn't mind seeing them is in sports/racing games.
October 25, 2007 2:06:12 AM

Token_Z said:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
!