Sign in with
Your question

USB 2.0(front ports)

Last response: in Motherboards
October 27, 2002 6:54:07 AM

Hey....I purchased a mobo that supports USB 2.0(3rd mobo purchase in the last 2 months...haha), connected the wiring to the front ports in my case, and everything seemed to be working fine.
I have 2 USB 2.0 devices that I recently purchased, and I noticed that when I attached them to my USB 2.0 compliant mobo, then connected them to my older system without USB 2.0, the transfer speeds were the same.
I scratched my head for a moment and decided to look up some USB 2.0 info. I couldn't find the technical data I was looking for. All I could find was data transfer speeds and improvements, and every site telling me that USB 1.1 devices would work in a USB 2.0 port.
I tried one of the devices in my rear USB port that came with the mobo and *BAM*, the speeds went up.
Does anyone know if there is a different pin or wire config. for USB 2.0 that would cause this? It seems that if u can plug a USB 1.1 device into a 2.0 port, that there isn't a physical difference in the port itself, so what would keep a port that is plugged into a 2.0 controller from operating as such? It could be that the ports in my case are faulty, but they did function as 1.1 ports, just not as 2.0 ports.
Anyways, just looking for some tech. data on the pin/wire config. that connects to the mobo/controller.
Thanx in advance.... :tongue:

More about : usb front ports

October 27, 2002 7:29:41 AM

What motherboard do you have?
It could very well be possible that USB 2.0 is only available using the rear ports.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
October 27, 2002 8:30:38 AM

No, there are front port connectors on the board. I'm using the GA-8PE667 Ultra. And yes, everything is connected properly, I've assembled many a computer in my day...hehe. It could be the front port connections on the mobo that are bad. I just want to rule out all possibilities before I have to think about RMA'ing the mobo.
Related resources
October 27, 2002 5:10:48 PM

It seems that the wires that connect the front ports in your case and USB connector of your mobo are not certified for high speed USB data transmission (a.k.a. USB 2.0). Many cases sold today use cheap wires which are good for USB 1.1 only. That's just my guess though, as I am not 100% sure about this. Can anyone else please confirm?
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2002 7:11:50 PM

You might want to make sure he isn't using any USB 1.1 devices on the same adapter.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
October 27, 2002 11:44:48 PM

Yikes!!!! Does simply having USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices connected to the same adapter reduce the speed of all devices to USB 1.1 speeds?

<b>I type sixty words per minute. Ten are spelled correctly.</b>
October 28, 2002 12:32:50 AM

But are there such thing as USB 2.0 cables that support full speed USB 2.0 bandwidth? I thought the entire connection path including the front port wires in the PC case should be compliant with USB 2.0. Correct me if I am wrong.
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2002 12:51:32 AM

Magic 8-ball time...my sources say yes.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2002 12:55:18 AM

Some are shielded, some aren't. It was always that way with USB 1.1, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that USB 2.0 must be shielded.

October 28, 2002 1:25:39 AM

Ok, so is the vote that I just get ahold of some new ports to attach to the front?
(using a 1040 Antec case so didn't think the ports would be cheap, perhaps just not USB 2.0 compliant, if there is such an issue)
I will get some new ports and try.
October 28, 2002 1:30:17 AM

And are u 100% sure that if I have a 1.1 usb device attached to the controller, that the controller will automatically run all devices at 1.1?
October 28, 2002 2:27:40 AM

What is the make and model of the motherboard you have?
I always like to check the manufacture's website for support data before making a final answer to a problem.

<font color=red><i>Doctor Hooter</i></font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.page3.com/" target="_new"><b>(·Y·)</b></A>
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2002 2:33:41 AM

Fairly certain that using USB1 devices on the same controller drops the speed of all devices on that controller. USB 2.0 boards use two or more controllers, so you have various places you can plug in USB 1 devices without this effect.

I'm not ceratain, but I would try using a shielded internal cable. The unshielded ones have 4 wires, the shielded ones 5. I'm also not certain if the shield has to be grounded to the case or if board grounding is good enough. I'm also not certain if the extra connection in the middle is causing signal loss that bumps you down to USB 1 speeds.

So there's a lot of variables. One thing I know for certain is that some backplates are both shielded and grounded.

October 28, 2002 5:17:16 AM

Well, the GA-8PE667 Ultra has 2 USB controllers; the standard one on the chipset, and an additional controller for additional ports(ie. 10 ports on this board). It appears to me that the usb ports are shielded on the Antec case. This case was modded severly from it's original form. The ports were added, along with firewire ports, a couple windows, and exhaust fan. I hope when they added the front ports they didn't use crap. I'm going to try a couple configs and get my hands on some different ports as well.
I wish I could know for sure if the use of one 1.1 device on a controller drops the performance. And if this is true, it seems they still have some work to do on this standard.
Anyways, I'll keep u all posted.
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2002 5:34:50 AM

Actually it should have THREE if I'm not mistaken, a USB 1.1 and a USB 2.0 in the chipset, and another USB 2.0 on the board. Unless they omitted USB1.

October 28, 2002 6:51:22 AM

Nah, there's only 2, the south bridge 6 port and the NEC 4 port.....
a b V Motherboard
October 28, 2002 10:32:37 AM

Hmm, now if I could just remember the rules...

!