Sign in with
Your question

*** Hellgate: London Demo

Last response: in Video Games
October 19, 2007 9:33:16 AM

Hellgate: London Demo -

http://www.3ddownloads.com/RPG/Hellgate:%20London/Demos...

http://www.4players.de/4players.php/download_info/PC-CD...

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/hellgate-london/pc/game-...
etc....

Electronic Arts, Namco Bandai Games, and Flagship Studios have released a playable demo" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">a playable demo of Hellgate: London" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">Hellgate: London, allowing you to try out this action RPG due to ship on October 31st in North America and November 2nd in Europe. The demo lets you play through part of the full release's first act using the \"Blademaster\" and \"Marksman\" classes. Although this is a single-player demo, a good broadband connection seems to be in order, as the download weighs in at a hefty 1.46GB :-)
Minimum System Requirements:

CPU: 1.8 GHz or faster (2.4 GHz for Vista)
RAM: 1 GB (2GB for Vista) or more
Disc Drive: DVD drive
Hard Drive: 7.0 GB or more free space
Video Device: Directx 9.0c/10 compatible
Sound: DirectX 9.0c/10 compatible
Input: Compatible Keyboard and mouse
Video card with 128 MB or more memory, Pixel Shader 2.0, and one of these chipsets is required:
ATI Radeon 9000 or greater
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 or greater
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 recommended for DirectX 10

More about : hellgate london demo

October 19, 2007 10:19:24 AM

nice find thanx
October 19, 2007 11:05:53 AM

I have it on my hard drive now but no time to play yet. Anyone tried it already? Opinions?
Related resources
October 19, 2007 11:08:44 AM

Sweet. Will try this tonight!
October 19, 2007 11:33:39 AM

still downloading ...........................................

ps more news....dam mother #$%$%^@%

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/34926/Hellgate-London...
Hellgate: London Includes Adware
Oct 18, 2007 at 4:16 PM - Andrew Burnes - 72 Comments
Several angry emails have entered my inbox because people installing the newly released Hellgate: London demo have noticed that the game includes adware, advertising that is integrated into software. Here's the pertinent section of the license you have to agree to abide by once Hellgate is installed onto your system:
The Software incorporates technology of Massive Incorporated ("Massive") that enables in-game advertising, and the display of other similar in-game objects, which are uploaded temporarily to your personal computer or game console and replaced during online game play. As part of this process, ***Massive may collect your Internet protocol address and other basic anonymous information, **** and will use this information for the general purposes of transmitting and measuring in-game advertising. Massive does not store or use any of this information for the purpose of discovering your personal identity. For additional details regarding Massive’s in-game advertising practices, and to understand your options with respect to in-game advertising and data collection, please see Massive's privacy policy. The trademarks and copyrighted material contained in all in-game advertising are the property of the respective owners. Portions of this product are © 2007 Massive Incorporated. All rights reserved.
For the time being the only adverts are posters on walls in certain areas, though with the adware fully integrated into the game you could soon be beating back Zombie Summoners with the Sword of Soft Drinks, 6-15 Coke splash damage per successful hit. Or perhaps the Gun of Crashing, Vista Edition, as Massive are owned by Microsoft.

WHY DO THEY DO THIS CRAP FOR ???????
October 19, 2007 11:41:25 AM

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't put enough exclamation points.

As someone on these forums once said something like this,

"the Hellgate and EA logo match well"

I installed it before coming to work, **** I think i'm gonna uninstall it.

One more nail in it's coffin imo, two tiered system (why not just make everyone pay or not pay at all?). It'll probably be as popular as warrock which does popup on xfire's list @ #10 sometimes.
October 19, 2007 12:08:18 PM

Yea i installed it on Vista and right away the game was dumb. i gave it some time and it became worse.

The game got worse game play-wise, not performance-wise.

Not worth the 1 hour of staring at my screen downloading.
October 19, 2007 12:50:01 PM

lol, im not surprised, the gameplay vids looked so boring, I might give it a try after work.
October 19, 2007 1:46:21 PM

What are the requirements for this game? Does anyone know how it would run on my machine at 1280 x 1024 res:

C2D 6600
2Gb DDR2 RAM
7600GT APG
October 19, 2007 1:50:21 PM

read first post :(  the bit under ...Minimum System Requirements:
October 19, 2007 2:04:33 PM

Seriously... It's soooo boring nothing special or entertaining

October 19, 2007 2:06:29 PM

sirkillalot said:
read first post :(  the bit under ...Minimum System Requirements:

Yer, sorry. I meant to say, what level of quality could I expect to play the game at. High, mid, low?
October 19, 2007 2:21:20 PM

How invasive is the software it comes with?
October 19, 2007 3:10:43 PM

I have been really excited about this game so I want to know how does it look so far to everyone else?
October 19, 2007 3:25:02 PM

WELL it seems ok but as a big rpg fan im not impressed graphics ok but there seems to be no life in the game
ps and what do you do at the end of the garden place

ghostwalker high, it doesnt look intense to me
October 19, 2007 3:29:25 PM

Was really looking forward to this game. Looked like kinda a break from the normal RPGs. I suppose you can only tell a certain amount from the demo though. Hopefully the final version will be much better. I'll download it and have a play tonight and let you know my thoughts on it.
October 19, 2007 9:05:10 PM

sirkillalot said:
WELL it seems ok but as a big rpg fan im not impressed graphics ok but there seems to be no life in the game
ps and what do you do at the end of the garden place

ghostwalker high, it doesnt look intense to me

I'd like to know as well if there is anything past the end of Garden Palace. Made it to the last room of the maintenece rooms, killed that Bone demon and there seems to be nothing else to do. I've went back to check for other quests , but none appear. If that is the end of the demo, thats a pretty crummy way to finish it. Would have been nice to have been left with some sort of hanging conclusion so as to make me want to actually purchase the game as opposed to staring at a bunch of NPCs who I can't talk to or the the tiles on a basement wall.

/shrug
October 19, 2007 9:39:33 PM

It does look dumb. Oh well
October 19, 2007 10:51:16 PM

Level 5 max, can't really go anywhere after that.

I tried it, It was surprisingly more boring than I anticipated.

The textures were all weird, NPCs, my character (except the head wtf), and some walls were transparent, and some zombies. I didn't have high expectations and they weren't met.
October 20, 2007 6:50:44 PM

I also was really exited about this game. But it looks and plays like crap. Another game i might get when its in the clearance bin.
October 22, 2007 11:59:17 AM

So basically its dog ****

we agreed?
October 22, 2007 3:23:46 PM

I played both classes dreaded templar... Only other thing I didn't like was the sudden stop where you thought it shouldn't be over(Edit: I mean where you think there should have been another portal to another place at the end of the steam tunnels?)... Hopefully it will be better and with the co-op will hopefully make it more enjoyable.
October 22, 2007 3:39:11 PM

I hate to join the pile-on but I played the demo and thought it kind of sucked a little bit. Maybe it's a bad demo.
October 22, 2007 6:26:00 PM

What you do from level 1-5 is the same as 5+. Maybe they're going to release a huge patch on launch date to change all that, but for now... I had high expectations based on the hype and amount of pre-orders for this game, but I give it a 6/10 maybe. Just doesn't have that same feel that D2 head, maybe the environments aren't as dynamic as D2. (Plains type area -> Desert -> Wooded Temple Area -> HELL! -> Frozen Barbarian Lands. ) There was always a change of scenery that kept the game fresh to me. In Hellgate: London, you're in London... so everything looks like London... get what I'm trying to say here?
October 23, 2007 11:24:46 AM

at least, i dont have to upgrade my rig :) 
October 23, 2007 9:07:47 PM

It played really smooth at 1680x1050 on my pc (X2 6000+, x1950xt, 2gb patriot ram). With all the settings cranked I averaged about 45 fps.

It's just way to much of a rehash of Diablo, but with an over-the-shoulder perspective. The gameplay is pretty sad, the graphics look nice but aren't anything special. I was optimistic for this game, but am thoroughly disappointed. With as little as I have been gaming lately, there's no way this will make it onto my PC.

October 24, 2007 1:55:43 AM

They do this ad crap, because keeping the servers up costs money.

Now this, being EA, is going to risk on the side of too many ads trying to get "free online play" onto the black side of the balance sheet.

Of course if it turns into a rushed pile of crap, it won't matter much whether it's got ads or not.
October 24, 2007 9:36:32 AM

Had a play with this last night and thought it was ok. Agree with most of what's been said here. It does seem a little dull and with a lack of spirit. Graphics are fairly good. My system seemed to lag for no reason at certain bits which was weird. Maybe a bit of dodgy code somewhere. And it does end really abruptly. Seems like they just released a quick demo without much thought to it. Bad move though as it'll turn people off the game straight away! I just hope that all these bad things people are saying is just because it was the demo, and the full game will be much much better. It definitely has potential.
October 24, 2007 10:45:33 AM

ghostwalker said:
Had a play with this last night and thought it was ok. Agree with most of what's been said here. It does seem a little dull and with a lack of spirit. Graphics are fairly good. My system seemed to lag for no reason at certain bits which was weird. Maybe a bit of dodgy code somewhere. And it does end really abruptly. Seems like they just released a quick demo without much thought to it. Bad move though as it'll turn people off the game straight away! I just hope that all these bad things people are saying is just because it was the demo, and the full game will be much much better. It definitely has potential.

As the release date is in a week, don't think that many bugs will be solved. It depends on whether they've crippled the game play in their haste to get out a demo. A demo should be representative with regards to gameplay, otherwise what's the point calling it a demo? I for one will take heed and will take my time in deciding whether to go out and buy it or not.
October 24, 2007 11:03:52 AM

I guess we'll just have to wait for the reviews from gamespot etc to see how the full game turns out. I'm just hoping the demo was just rushed and the game is actually awesome!!!
October 24, 2007 1:04:35 PM

All you poor haters...

I tried the demo and agreed it was rushed and lacks EVERYTHING the online has to offer. I have been playing it religiously everynight since I got a beta key last weekend. I have just started playing Co-op with my buddy which has increased the gamplay value even more.

Think of the demo as a pre alpha and the the beta as, well, a beta.
If the demo was meant to highlight the full capability of the game then it would probably be the full release and not a demo.

Im playing the beta server with the highest graphics available with a 8800 ULTRA. It is quite simply the best graphics that I have ever seen in an rpg(any game actually) to date. I gawk at my character with the vanity view in the game for minutes as the graphics are that good.

The beta still has its issues and disconnects, graphics glitches etc but even so its immensely fun. The whole purpose of everyone playing the beta is to get a taste and support the actual release by submitting bugs to get sorted out. The dev guys are going to release a massive combination of patches in one huge release called PATCH 0 on the day of release. During the demo/beta - any minor bugs that they were currently working on were delayed from being patched for anywhere between 2-4 weeks from inception.

By the way it has that D2 feel to it because, as most of you should know, the dev team is the better part of the inital diablo2 creation crew as well as blizzard north. They have been working on it for years as a next gen/phase diablo. The game is being advertised with all this in mind. Its not hiding these facts and its not like another newbie team is ripping d2/blizzard off?!?

Solutions - if it sucks cause your pc sucks and you are too cheap to upgrade then dont whine and make that your primary point.
Dont judge the demo - make some informed decisions for a change.
Its got that londen scenery cause ( surprise ) the entire game is based in london - hence Hellgate : London. Its not called Hellgate : World.
Its not D2 - go and play D2 if you want D2, but this has the potential to be a new better D2. ( admittedly D2 was the best rpg to date so thats going to be a real challenge)

Make no mistake all I can think of at work all day is going home to level and get some more loot as the game is soooooo good.

This game is going to OWN for ages!!!!!

Guess thats now 1 vs 100.
October 24, 2007 1:08:59 PM

DannyBoy27 said:
All you poor haters...

I tried the demo and agreed it was rushed and lacks EVERYTHING the online has to offer. I have been playing it religiously everynight since I got a beta key last weekend. I have just started playing Co-op with my buddy which has increased the gamplay value even more.

If the demo was meant to highlight the full capability of the game then it would probably be the full release and not a demo.

Im playing the beta server with the highest graphics available with a 8800 ULTRA. It is quite simply the best graphics that I have ever seen in an rpg(any game actually) to date. I gawk at my character with the vanity view in the game for minutes as the graphics are that good.

The beta still has its issues and disconnects, graphics glitches etc but even so its immensely fun. The whole purpose of everyone playing the beta is to get a taste and support the actual release by submitting bugs to get sorted out. The dev guys are going to release a massive combination of patches in one huge release called PATCH 0 on the day of release. During the demo/beta - any minor bugs that they were currently working on were delayed from being patched for anywhere between 2-4 weeks from inception.

By the way it has that D2 feel to it because, as most of you should know, the dev team is the better part of the inital diablo2 creation crew as well as blizzard north. They have been working on it for years as a next gen/phase diablo. The game is being advertised with all this in mind. Its not hiding these facts and its not like another newbie team is ripping d2/blizzard off?!?

Solutions - if it sucks cause your pc sucks and you are too cheap to upgrade then dont whine and make that your primary point.
Its got that londen scenery cause ( surprise ) the entire game is based in london - hence Hellgate : London. Its not called Hellgate : World.
Its not D2 - go and play D2 if you want D2, but this has the potential to be a new better D2. ( admittedly D2 was the best rpg to date so thats going to be a real challenge)

Make no mistake all I can think of at work all day is going home to level and get some more loot as the game is soooooo good.

SWEET!!! Thanks DannyBoy. That's exactly what I wanted to hear! Roll on release day!!!!!!!
October 24, 2007 1:26:31 PM

LOL, i'm running a core 2 quad and 8800GTS, the game looks like it's 4 years old. I would never compare this crap to D2. O wow, there's a red orb and blue orb. Atleast at Griswold's shop there wasn't an NVIDIA logo lolololololololol.
October 24, 2007 1:38:52 PM

Wow, good feedback there Stemnin.
A. are you playing the demo or the beta?
B. Are your graphics higher than the "low" setting ; do you have new drivers installed ; are you running it in DX10 in Vista with your GTS
C. probably not cause you are using a GTS :( 
D. Does your screen have more than 256 colours?
E. are you misinformed and talking rubbish cause you are just bored and have seen a couple screenies from pre beta gaming sites?
F. You must have skipped D2 as griswolds shop was in D1 :) 
October 24, 2007 4:08:25 PM

a.I was playing the demo.
b.lol, pc is a month old, and yes I keep all drivers up to date (beta or otherwise), also using Vista 32bit.
c.lol, yeah, probably on low, because the game looks like Quake 3 meets Doom 2.
d.I did see the gameplay videos before playing and thought it was going to be complete crap, playing the demo confirmed it for me.
e.he was a zombie where you had to save Deckard Cain (and get Wirt's leg for the cow level, i'll also state that "There is no Cow Level" Starcraft cheat). Tristram in D2 looks nothing like D1 lol, i'd haft to reinstall both to check how different.

I'm going to say that i'm totally turned off by this gametype, I only tried out the marksman, and thought that it totally sucked.
October 24, 2007 5:03:06 PM

I don't want to talk about this game anymore, but keep in mind, that i'm comparing it to shooters and not MMO's such as the heavily instanced Guild Wars (of which some Blizzard employees went to form Arenanet).
October 24, 2007 7:46:56 PM

DannyBoy27 said:

Why would I think of a demo as being a pre alpha? A demo (=demonstrator) of the product: It has to convince people that try out the demo that they want to play the (full) game. If they put something pre alpha and call it a demo, that's a capital mistake in marketing terms.

I'll wait till the raving reviews come in and then I'll make up my mind...
October 24, 2007 9:56:47 PM

DannyBoy27 said:
All you poor haters...

DannyBoy27 said:
Wow, good feedback there Stemnin.
A. are you playing the demo or the beta?
B. Are your graphics higher than the "low" setting ; do you have new drivers installed ; are you running it in DX10 in Vista with your GTS
C. probably not cause you are using a GTS :( 
D. Does your screen have more than 256 colours?
E. are you misinformed and talking rubbish cause you are just bored and have seen a couple screenies from pre beta gaming sites?
F. You must have skipped D2 as griswolds shop was in D1 :) 

BigMac said:
Why would I think of a demo as being a pre alpha? A demo (=demonstrator) of the product: It has to convince people that try out the demo that they want to play the (full) game. If they put something pre alpha and call it a demo, that's a capital mistake in marketing terms.

I'll wait till the raving reviews come in and then I'll make up my mind...

---

I've had only 5 mins of seat time with this. The demo, not the beta. I think this game is going to throw most "pro" reviewers for a loop, because of how different first and third person types play, their standard for graphics, low level vs high level play, ect.

What I've seen so far is not going to be Orange box, Quake- ET, or Bioshock good at graphics, and doesn't belong in the same graphics generation as Crysis. Comparing it to other RPGs is different, of course. I'm just giving a relative scale here.

The test computers I ran the thing on most certainly did not suck.

The demo has failed, so far, to get me to order the thing. I don't know if this has won a spot on our review schedule yet, but I wouldn't write the thing off completely.

Thinking about it, if quality on release day turns out to be poor, it might be more fair to review it after it has a few patches in it.

Multiplayer is going to be a make or break plus for this game.

Build quality is going to be a make or break minus for this game.
October 25, 2007 8:22:49 AM

This game brought back so many memories of D2 for me that I couldn't resist installing it back on my machine and playing it dangerously late into the night. Man I love that game...

One other thing I'll add though is that I wonder how similar this will be to Fallout 3. I'm so hoping that will be truely the sequel the series deserves.
October 25, 2007 9:00:15 AM

Well, to clarify again I must agree - The demo does suck and that whole imbed your PC with a neo-spyware app is totally not cool.
I highly recommend you guys try out the beta with a key and mess about with the multi. They have a semi good function that you turn on called autoparty which hooks you up with other players who are arbing about as you go into an instance. Has its pros and cons I must admit but still interesting.
Personally I recommend that you jam a little multi with a good mate either lanning or net+skype/teamspeak etc. That way you are not rushing around like mad with some random trying to edge in a kill here and there and rushing through inventory checks/arranging. With a mate you just take it slow and easy and explore everything at your own leisure. That has been keeping me going for a couple nights now!

I have tried guardian, evoker, marksman, engineer and blademaster so far and they all seem pretty playable. The evoker and guardian have been my favs but running around with dual machine guns fps view using the marksman was nothing short of awesome. Was just bundles of fun for ages. I then moved on to a sweet power sniper build and that was just plain solid ( except the buggy jumping+get stuck in the air beasts ). It evolves at a decent enough pace for you to adjust and not get bored.

Considering I was against this game when I first saw the screenshots myself ages ago Im still amazed it got me hooked so quick.

The build orders are sweet. They seem to encourage you to try out a myriad of skills ( and there is a wide selection like roughly 27-29 per character ). From what I have seen most of the skills use your current weapon dmg to calculate the power of the skill/spell so its not like you have to pump fireball 20 times to get it up. Pumping the skills decreases the negatives of actually using the skill/spell like mana cost, stat cost, duration etc.
Another wicked game pro is that in multi the engine makes a loot drop for each player so there is 0 squabling and whining. I.E everything that you see on your screen is yours so there are no ninja rapers.
There is also a minigame which has to be experienced as it just ads another level of depth to the game and is very innovative.

Cant wait for Fallout 3!!!! Been waiting years now and my Tactics CDs are nearly worn out for good :) 
October 25, 2007 2:10:22 PM

I've been playing the beta for a while and I like it a lot. I've not had a single hardware problem and it runs great on my aging system. I've got my collector's edition pre-ordered and I plan to drop $150 on the founders subscription.

The demo is just a really bad showing of the game IMO. They pull out the cabalists which are the most fun of the 3 groups of classes for me. They only let you achieve level 5 which to me is bazaar. That is like playing Diablo 2 to level 10. Diablo 2 up to level 10 is crap, but the game is awesome as a whole. You get basically one crappy spell and one hit kill just about every monster you encounter. Diablo 2 doesn't really start till the mid 40's and I'd expect something similar of any tiered skill game.

Nothing interesting happens in the game play up to level 5 and that style of game isn't very heavily story based as most of that genre is about rinsing and repeating similar levels. The demo really offers nothing. I can appreciate the complaints, and looking at just the demo experience I agree with them. However, I think you are going to be missing out on a really good game if you use this as your only experience. I'm guessing the demo was a push from marketing and due to the games looming deadline they didn't have much time to polish it.

The complaints of ads and fees in games always amazes me. People bitch about expensive games. They bitch about games that try to earn revenues through monthly fees. They bitch about games that try to earn revenues through ads. They bitch about games that offer a free play version as well as a pay-by-month version. It seems as though some of you will simply never be happy.

This game is doing a ton of things to offer the type of fee structure different players want. They are offering the game as a $50(standard game pricing) one time purchase with free internet play. They are offering the game as a monthly fee structured game and offering future content to give you something for your money. They are offering a single larger upfront cost to allow people to be a lifetime subscriber without a monthly fee. They are selling ad space within the game to keep costs down in a matter that doesn't slow down or interrupt game play. I applaud them for their effort and for giving gamers so many options. I can't think of another game that does all of these things in one, usually you are forced into one fee structure despite what you might prefer.

To come back to the ad idea, I've been wondering why more games don't do this. I mean I've played many games set in modern times where I've seen pop machines. I've always thought "Why isn't this a Pepsi machine for a few 100k?". It makes the game more realistic and as long as the companies don't take it ridiculously far it is practically subliminal and beneath notice. I'd rather see an upcoming movie poster or a Pepsi machine than a generic replacement. I don't want to see Coke splash damage or a commercial every 30 minutes, but I don't think the companies will take it this far for fear of angry mobs.
!