School could use some advice

science7

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
We are looking to update some computers that were donated to us.........most of them don't work but I think they can be eaisly upgraded. I have built a few computers in the past but am no expert. I went to a local shop and was told that all cases were ATX standard and would take a full-size ATX board. These machines are used for Office XP work and internet research. The most stress they get is a little Photoshop 7 but no games (at least high end). We just need to be able to run XP pro and other standard programs. Now for the questions............ I have been told that Asus makes a board (a7n266vm) that has built in video, lan, and audio that would do a decent job when coulped with 256meg of ram (266 mhz) and a AMD xp chip at whatever speed we can afford.....soooo

1. Does anyone know about this board?
2. What about the "onboard" stuff...does it work OK?
3. Any other brands, cheaper route, ect. ?
4. What about CPU speed vrs. price?
5. Power supplies are 200-250 ATX do we need bigger (we were told we do)?
6. What about remanufactured boards (some of them are only $35 at places like Newegg.com)?
7. Can usb2.0 be added via PCI card?

I have used both Asus and AMD before and like them both. All other items in machines are PCI except the AGP 1x video cards which say asus 3400 on them. Sorry for the bother but need to get the most bang for the buck.

Thanks so much for the advice.
James

Asus is a good choice. I would stick with them. Onboard stuff usually works ok. Any problems should show up right away. Usb 2.0 can be added via the pci slot, but doesn't work as fast as a board with built in support. I've used newegg's refurbished products, but most of them don't come with manuals or cables, so you might as well buy new. Be carefull when replacing power supplies. There's alot of junk out there. The sparkle 300 watt is a good all around choice for your needs. For a few dollars more, I would go with the p4 1.8a and an sis 645 or 650 board (with built in video, sound, etc). The p4 will run much cooler, and you don't have to worry about it frying if the heatsink fan fails for any reason.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Be carefull, a lot of shops don't know what they are talking about. For instance, many Dell systems used ATX cases with proprietary power supplies and proprietary front panel headers. Using such with a standard ATX board could be distasterous.

Otherwise, I'd give the go ahead wtih the A7N266 and some XP1600+ processors. The reason I recomend this processor in your situation is because it's VERY inexpensive, best performance for the price.

I run a small business of doing such upgrades and would do the service for free, as long as you agreed to provide proof of said service.

The 250Watt power supplies just might work for these systems, I'd try it. It's marginal, but if the systems are stable, good enough.

Adaptec makes some USB2.0/Firewire combo cards that are fairly inexpensive, these were reviewed on this site.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
About the USB/Firewire Adaptec combo Crashman refers to, I can say that it is rock solid and installs almost by itself without a glitch. I speak of experience, I bought one for myself to hook a Firewire Video Camera, USB2 Scanner, USB1.1 Digital Camera and USB printer. It's such a great value. 3 Firewire ports (1 internal), 4 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (1 internal). I recommend it to anybody.
Check it out... it's called the <A HREF="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&prodkey=AUA-3121&cat=/Technology/FireWire-1394/USB+&+FireWire+Combo+Cards" target="_new">Adaptec DuoConnect</A>.

<font color=red>Do ya feel lucky, Punk? Well...? Do ya?
Then go ahead and buy that C3 CPU!</font color=red>