Sign in with
Your question

Little direction for vm labbing

Last response: in Business Computing
December 15, 2012 1:16:22 PM

I just got my first job in the IT field for desktop support and maintenance. I need to learn how to use the server environment(server2003r2 and 2008).

My objectives for home:
Need to run server2003r2 or 2008 in virtualbox or vmplayer
I have an older pc I can make into a small server, is this a better option for running a vm?
Have to get comfortable with creating images for deploying os's from a server

My older pc that I would like to make a server if it's a option
AMD Athlon X@Dual Core 5000+
2.60GHZ 3.25 GB of RAM
250GB memory

I'm not sure if im going in the right path here. A little help would be fantastic.

More about : direction labbing

December 15, 2012 3:03:57 PM

to run vm's you are going to need a lot more ram than that.

download vmware player ort oracle virtual box, and start playing.
December 15, 2012 4:16:02 PM

Your old rig will be fine for a local test bed server, just check driver support first. Then just find any old hardware to use as a workstation for testing deployment on.
Related resources
December 15, 2012 4:32:26 PM

das_stig said:
Your old rig will be fine for a local test bed server, just check driver support first. Then just find any old hardware to use as a workstation for testing deployment on.

Sorry, meant to say that it'll work, but you need more ram, hence the pointers, to the OP, just give it a go.
December 15, 2012 7:53:33 PM

I don't think I have any more ram sticks around to fit that. So that would be out of the question to run freeNAS on that machine? I know I have another 128GB hdd somewhere. It's lying in a grave yard of pc parts in the basement. But that won't help. Should I skip trying to make a server out of an old pc then? Just trying to get something for a similar environment like my work.
December 15, 2012 8:05:49 PM

you can do, and it will work, but it might be a bit of a dog, but for learning, ok.
December 15, 2012 8:23:34 PM

The system that you have currently should run basic OS virtual machines, but it's going to be pretty taxing on the computer and honestly don't plan on it being an enjoyable experience trying to work with any newer 64-bit Windows Server OSes that require a good deal more RAM. The computer you currently have will probably be able to run one VM at a time.

It's enough to get you started, but I'd recommend looking into something better if you are serious about getting into learning more about running VMs.
December 15, 2012 10:03:28 PM

32bit os is fine for me. Would it run better off of ubuntu or linux? This will be strictly for study anyway
!