New partition for dual boot. Primary or logical

I am going to install XP as a dual boot with 98se my present OS.
My hard drive was set up as C: primary and D: logical. I have created
a new partition splitting C: using Partition Magic. I set it up as a
primary partition as my understanding was each OS has to be on a
primary partition. Partition Magic set it up as a hidden partition and
no drive letter is assigned. Reading the help file it indicates to use
caution as un hiding the partion can cause data problems between the 2
primaries.

Can someone tell me if XP can be loaded to a logical partition? Will
it just automatically make the partition it is on a primary?
3 answers Last reply
More about partition dual boot primary logical

    There is no reason why xp cannot go on a logical partition. My own pc is
    laid out as follows. 160GB Hard drive.
    Windows XP Home Primary
    Windows XP Professional Primary
    Windows Server 2003 Logical
    Windows 'Longhorn' Logical
    Windows Small Business Server Logical

    Server 2003, Longhorn, and SBS all have the XP shell and code and work
    perfectly well on logical partitions.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    "GTT" <gthorley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am going to install XP as a dual boot with 98se my present OS.
    > My hard drive was set up as C: primary and D: logical. I have created
    > a new partition splitting C: using Partition Magic. I set it up as a
    > primary partition as my understanding was each OS has to be on a
    > primary partition. Partition Magic set it up as a hidden partition and
    > no drive letter is assigned. Reading the help file it indicates to use
    > caution as un hiding the partion can cause data problems between the 2
    > primaries.
    >
    > Can someone tell me if XP can be loaded to a logical partition? Will
    > it just automatically make the partition it is on a primary?

    You want data problems between the two partitions. Meaning one can't be
    read from the other when an OS is installed on both.

    I would have simply shrunk the 98 partition, hid the shrunken partition,
    then let XP install CD create a NTFS partition the space made.

    > You want data problems between the two partitions. Meaning one can't
    > be read from the other when an OS is installed on both.
    >
    > I would have simply shrunk the 98 partition, hid the shrunken
    > partition, then let XP install CD create a NTFS partition the space
    > made.

    What?
    I ran Win98SE and WinXP on separate partintions for over a year. Since I
    used NTFS for WinXP, Win98 couldn't read that, but WinXP could read the
    Win98 partition.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Partition Partition Magic Dual Boot Windows XP