SP1 - Is this still available

August 28, 2004 4:23:33 AM

I am going to install XP but want to just update to SP1 and do SP2
later when the problems die down. Is this possible?

More about : sp1

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 4:23:34 AM

Download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...

Tom
"GTT" <gthorley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I am going to install XP but want to just update to SP1 and do SP2
| later when the problems die down. Is this possible?
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 4:23:34 AM

Why install SP1? Directly install SP2

"GTT" wrote:

> I am going to install XP but want to just update to SP1 and do SP2
> later when the problems die down. Is this possible?

August 28, 2004 8:16:31 AM

Thanks Tom I notice that it is from Feb 2003. Would the security
updates be still available from M$ update site or are they now part of
SP2?
If I go to this site it only looks for items relative to 98se which I
am running, maybe when XP is loaded I can see what it would update?
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:40:15 -0500, "Tom Pepper Willett"
<tompepper@mvps.org> wrote:

>Download here:
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...
>
>Tom
>"GTT" <gthorley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>| I am going to install XP but want to just update to SP1 and do SP2
>| later when the problems die down. Is this possible?

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 12:27:58 PM

Because GTT chooses not to.

Tom
"Vikas Ahuja [MSFT]" <vahuja@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Why install SP1? Directly install SP2
|
| "GTT" wrote:
|
| > I am going to install XP but want to just update to SP1 and do SP2
| > later when the problems die down. Is this possible?

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 12:28:09 PM

Yes, the updates will be available.

| Thanks Tom I notice that it is from Feb 2003. Would the security
| updates be still available from M$ update site or are they now part of
| SP2?
| If I go to this site it only looks for items relative to 98se which I
| am running, maybe when XP is loaded I can see what it would update?
| http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
|

| On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:40:15 -0500, "Tom Pepper Willett"
| <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote:
|
| >Download here:
| >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...
| >
| >Tom
| >"GTT" <gthorley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| >| I am going to install XP but want to just update to SP1 and do SP2
| >| later when the problems die down. Is this possible?

August 28, 2004 4:03:44 PM

Yes it is. If your OS does not already include SP1, all you have to do is
click on Windows Update. Then download and install it, and any other updates
(critical or otherwise). As with all updates, it is optional to install SP2.

"GTT" <gthorley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am going to install XP but want to just update to SP1 and do SP2
> later when the problems die down. Is this possible?
Anonymous
August 28, 2004 7:12:49 PM

If I did just go to the SP2 update I assume this will do everything
including the security updates in one shot. If problems occurred can
you uninstal sp2 or would I need to uninstal XP and reload starting
again with sp1 and the security updates?

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:27:58 -0500, "Tom Pepper Willett"
<tompepper@mvps.org> wrote:

>Because GTT chooses not to.
>
>Tom
>"Vikas Ahuja [MSFT]" <vahuja@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>| Why install SP1? Directly install SP2
>|
>| "GTT" wrote:
>|
>| > I am going to install XP but want to just update to SP1 and do SP2
>| > later when the problems die down. Is this possible?

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 7:12:50 PM

"GTT" <gthorley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o 581j05bc5cen2od9c0p6tqotlg16vsfpg@4ax.com
> If I did just go to the SP2 update I assume this will do everything
> including the security updates in one shot. If problems occurred can
> you uninstal sp2 or would I need to uninstal XP and reload starting
> again with sp1 and the security updates?
>
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:27:58 -0500, "Tom Pepper Willett"
> <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>> Because GTT chooses not to.
>>
>> Tom
>> "Vikas Ahuja [MSFT]" <vahuja@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Why install SP1? Directly install SP2

Yes, it can be uninstalled from Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Yes, SP2 can be un-installed. Just go into the Control Panel, click on the
Add/Remove icon, scroll down to the SP2 item, then select "Remove".

"GTT" <gthorley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o 581j05bc5cen2od9c0p6tqotlg16vsfpg@4ax.com...
> If I did just go to the SP2 update I assume this will do everything
> including the security updates in one shot. If problems occurred can
> you uninstal sp2 or would I need to uninstal XP and reload starting
> again with sp1 and the security updates?
>
> On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:27:58 -0500, "Tom Pepper Willett"
> <tompepper@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Because GTT chooses not to.
>>
>>Tom
>>"Vikas Ahuja [MSFT]" <vahuja@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>| Why install SP1? Directly install SP2

Anonymous
August 29, 2004 1:29:01 AM

Once SP2 is installed, can SP1 be un-installed, meaning do we need it any
longer? Also, as a newbie, where is the best place for me to research which
factory pre-installed programs I need, and which I can un-install?
Thanks,
KarenB

"Papa" wrote:

> Yes it is. If your OS does not already include SP1, all you have to do is
> click on Windows Update. Then download and install it, and any other updates
> (critical or otherwise). As with all updates, it is optional to install SP2.
>
> "GTT" <gthorley@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I am going to install XP but want to just update to SP1 and do SP2
> > later when the problems die down. Is this possible?

August 29, 2004 11:55:12 AM

SP1 is part of SP2; simply said, SP2 is a cumulative service pack, and includes all of SP1 with its updates, and then all of the security and critical updates after SP1, up to the official release date of SP2.

!