Norton conflict?

I have a new laptop with XP home. I downloaded Norton Antivirus from a work
website. A couple of days later the computer started up fine but I could not
open any files or access the start menu. Restarted several times, and
figured I should boot up in safe mode. Did a restore back to the day before
I installed Norton AV and wallah! problem solved. My sister had a similar
problem on her desktop PC. Anyone else?
1 answer Last reply
More about norton conflict

    I had a similar problem when my new pc came with NAV preinstalled. It refused
    to work properly with AOL Broadband, and eventually I had to uninstall it and
    get another AV program which now works fine.

    "phand" wrote:

    > I have a new laptop with XP home. I downloaded Norton Antivirus from a work
    > website. A couple of days later the computer started up fine but I could not
    > open any files or access the start menu. Restarted several times, and
    > figured I should boot up in safe mode. Did a restore back to the day before
    > I installed Norton AV and wallah! problem solved. My sister had a similar
    > problem on her desktop PC. Anyone else?

Norton Windows XP