Unwanted STARTUP options with XP Professional

Before my Windows XP Professional starts, a seeming DOS-based screen appears
which requires me to choose between XP Professional and XP Professional
STARTUP. This is very irritating, especially as if I am slow to choose...
then it goes into Startup and I need to reboot to then choose the normal
Windows XP Professional.

Can anyone please show me how to remove this feature?

Hi,

Start/run msconfig, go to the boot.ini tab. Click on the line that loads
your normal Windows instance, then click "set as default". Click apply/ok
and reboot as directed. It should now choose and load your normal Windows
installation at that point.

If so, then start/run "C:\boot.ini" (without the quotes) and delete the line
that loads the unwanted entry from the [operating systems] section. Close
saving changes.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Harry's Piece of Mind" <Harry's Piece of Mind@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:E54B449C-B9E2-461C-BCAD-8FEC33778F3C@microsoft.com...
> Before my Windows XP Professional starts, a seeming DOS-based screen
> appears
> which requires me to choose between XP Professional and XP Professional
> STARTUP. This is very irritating, especially as if I am slow to choose...
> then it goes into Startup and I need to reboot to then choose the normal
> Windows XP Professional.
>
> Can anyone please show me how to remove this feature?

Joy Bliss & Rapture! Thank you for a 100% solution. Blood presure down,
stress level down. Thank you very much for your help.

"Harry's Piece of Mind" wrote:

> Before my Windows XP Professional starts, a seeming DOS-based screen appears
> which requires me to choose between XP Professional and XP Professional
> STARTUP. This is very irritating, especially as if I am slow to choose...
> then it goes into Startup and I need to reboot to then choose the normal
> Windows XP Professional.
>
> Can anyone please show me how to remove this feature?

You're welcome.

--

in message news:ED10A63E-A764-49E8-91BA-49A5DB99B9E8@microsoft.com...