Unwanted STARTUP options with XP Professional

Before my Windows XP Professional starts, a seeming DOS-based screen appears
which requires me to choose between XP Professional and XP Professional
STARTUP. This is very irritating, especially as if I am slow to choose...
then it goes into Startup and I need to reboot to then choose the normal
Windows XP Professional.

Can anyone please show me how to remove this feature?
3 answers Last reply
More about unwanted startup options professional

    Hi,

    Start/run msconfig, go to the boot.ini tab. Click on the line that loads
    your normal Windows instance, then click "set as default". Click apply/ok
    and reboot as directed. It should now choose and load your normal Windows
    installation at that point.

    If so, then start/run "C:\boot.ini" (without the quotes) and delete the line
    that loads the unwanted entry from the [operating systems] section. Close
    saving changes.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Harry's Piece of Mind" <Harry's Piece of Mind@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message news:E54B449C-B9E2-461C-BCAD-8FEC33778F3C@microsoft.com...
    > Before my Windows XP Professional starts, a seeming DOS-based screen
    > appears
    > which requires me to choose between XP Professional and XP Professional
    > STARTUP. This is very irritating, especially as if I am slow to choose...
    > then it goes into Startup and I need to reboot to then choose the normal
    > Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > Can anyone please show me how to remove this feature?

    Joy Bliss & Rapture! Thank you for a 100% solution. Blood presure down,
    stress level down. Thank you very much for your help.

    "Harry's Piece of Mind" wrote:

    > Before my Windows XP Professional starts, a seeming DOS-based screen appears
    > which requires me to choose between XP Professional and XP Professional
    > STARTUP. This is very irritating, especially as if I am slow to choose...
    > then it goes into Startup and I need to reboot to then choose the normal
    > Windows XP Professional.
    >
    > Can anyone please show me how to remove this feature?

    You're welcome.

    --

    in message news:ED10A63E-A764-49E8-91BA-49A5DB99B9E8@microsoft.com...
    > Joy Bliss & Rapture! Thank you for a 100% solution. Blood presure down,
    > stress level down. Thank you very much for your help.
    >

    > "Harry's Piece of Mind" wrote:
    >
    >> Before my Windows XP Professional starts, a seeming DOS-based screen
    >> appears
    >> which requires me to choose between XP Professional and XP Professional
    >> STARTUP. This is very irritating, especially as if I am slow to choose...
    >> then it goes into Startup and I need to reboot to then choose the normal
    >> Windows XP Professional.
    >>
    >> Can anyone please show me how to remove this feature?

Microsoft Windows XP