ainsane

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
Hi maybe someone could help me because I'm stumped. My computer restarts by itself sometimes, even when I'm not using it. I recently formatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything because I was getting the strangest problem. When I would plug or unlplug speakers or line-in to my sound card, my computer would restart. Also when I tilted my computer it woudl restart. So I thought something was lose but couldnt find anything lose. When I reinstalled everything I didnt get that specific problem anymore... now all I get are random reboots.

I built the computer myself and have a lot of experience building computers so I think it may be a hardware problem but have no clue what it could be because I've never seen this before. I'll post my exact specs and maybe someone will have an idea and could help me out.

Motherboard: Asus A7V333-WA (audio disabled)
CPU: AMD 1800XP
RAM: Kingmax 256MB PC2700
Sound: Creative Soundblaster Live!
NIC: DLink 530TX
CD-ROMS: LG 12x8x32 burner and Asus 50X cd-rom
HD1: Western Digital 5400RPM 45GIG
HD2: Maxtor 7200RPM ATA133 60GIG
Video Card: Asus V8420 GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/128meg DDR
Monitor (i know it shouldnt matter): Optiquest V73 17"
Case: Antec SX1030B w/300W PS
KB/Mouse: Logitech Optical Freedom set

SOFTWARE: Windows 2000 w/sp3, NVidia Detonator 40.72 drivers

I think that's about it. I have all the critical updates too.

Please give me any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks a lot.

Adam.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
sounds like a driver problem.

My first advice is to go to power management, both BIOS and windows. if it boots randomly while unused, make sure the HD and system don't go to standby or sleep. Keep em runnig!

Second, and always important with VIA whenever something is wrong after changing hardware or updating software, re-install the latest version of the VIA 4in1 drivers service pack.

The last thing, it may sound silly, but try using a real keyboard and mouse(not cordless) you may be getting some garbage from something else using IR signals nearby(or RF wich ever your keyboard uses I didn't chek as both could cause such disturbance)

go to your system logs, and verify what caused the failure, if any log has been created it can help diagnosis.
you can also set your system not to re-boot and post the error message until re-booted manualy, if nothing posts then it's almost Officialy hardware. If it does post then the message might be of help.

----------------
The price of a new CPU: 200$
The amount he spent on cooling stuff: 600$
the look on his face while I ran my Old Athlon 1ghz with an UNPLUGGED RETAIL BOX Heat sink... for 3 days of LAN partying...with no failure : Priceless!