older hp disk

Does anyone have any older hp 9GB, 18GB or 36GB drives for sale for the HP
9000 series servers.

If you do please email me at
kenny @ selectcomputer .net

Thanks
Kenny
7 answers Last reply
More about older disk

    On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:44:17 -0700, "Kenny Becker"
    <diskdrives@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Does anyone have any older hp 9GB, 18GB or 36GB drives for sale for the HP
    >9000 series servers.

    Wow! Those things are still out there?
    I've had one of those lead boxes (700i) sitting next to my workbench
    for about 3 or 4 years now. If I remember correctly, it has 384megs
    ram, (2) 2gig hds, a tape drive, an eisa module, a 743 plugin, and
    hpux. It boots, but complains that various configurations are messed
    up and it looks like it goes out and fixes everything, but then I
    can't "do" anything with it. More accurately, I'm not sure WHAT to do
    with it. ;-)
    Makes a fair to middlin' end table, though.
    I don't know anything about Unix, but I learned quickly that if you
    want to talk to HP about hpux, you'd damn well better have a bank
    account.
    Pricks. ;-)
    Anyway, I've always fantasized that if Linux came out with a version
    that would fly on a 9000, I might start playing with it again, but
    never got around to it. I haven't even checked for over a year now.

    Enough with the chatter already....

    Those hard drives are just run of the mill scsi drives. The two in
    mine are a Seagate ST12400N 2.1gig and an HP 9164-0396 2gig.
    Seems to me that if you went to Ebay and looked around you'd find
    yourself in your own little Nirvana.

    Mike

    BEWARE... some of those Seagates have HP firmware on them... dunno if it
    makes any difference here tho' but just thought I would mention it.

    "Howd E. Doodat" <Howd@freagin.happen> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:44:17 -0700, "Kenny Becker"
    > <diskdrives@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone have any older hp 9GB, 18GB or 36GB drives for sale for the
    HP
    > >9000 series servers.
    > >

    > Wow! Those things are still out there?
    > I've had one of those lead boxes (700i) sitting next to my workbench
    > for about 3 or 4 years now. If I remember correctly, it has 384megs
    > ram, (2) 2gig hds, a tape drive, an eisa module, a 743 plugin, and
    > hpux. It boots, but complains that various configurations are messed
    > up and it looks like it goes out and fixes everything, but then I
    > can't "do" anything with it. More accurately, I'm not sure WHAT to do
    > with it. ;-)
    > Makes a fair to middlin' end table, though.
    > I don't know anything about Unix, but I learned quickly that if you
    > want to talk to HP about hpux, you'd damn well better have a bank
    > account.
    > Pricks. ;-)
    > Anyway, I've always fantasized that if Linux came out with a version
    > that would fly on a 9000, I might start playing with it again, but
    > never got around to it. I haven't even checked for over a year now.
    >
    > Enough with the chatter already....
    >
    > Those hard drives are just run of the mill scsi drives. The two in
    > mine are a Seagate ST12400N 2.1gig and an HP 9164-0396 2gig.
    > Seems to me that if you went to Ebay and looked around you'd find
    > yourself in your own little Nirvana.
    >

    > Mike

    ---

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:04:49 GMT, "Temor"
    <iaintusingemail@itsafunnlyoldworld.com> wrote:

    >BEWARE... some of those Seagates have HP firmware on them... dunno if it
    >makes any difference here tho' but just thought I would mention it.
    >
    >"Howd E. Doodat" <Howd@freagin.happen> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 25 May 2004 13:44:17 -0700, "Kenny Becker"
    >> <diskdrives@comcast.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Does anyone have any older hp 9GB, 18GB or 36GB drives for sale for the
    >HP
    >> >9000 series servers.
    >> >

    >> Wow! Those things are still out there?
    >> I've had one of those lead boxes (700i) sitting next to my workbench
    >> <snip>
    >> Those hard drives are just run of the mill scsi drives. The two in
    >> mine are a Seagate ST12400N 2.1gig and an HP 9164-0396 2gig.
    >> Seems to me that if you went to Ebay and looked around you'd find
    >> yourself in your own little Nirvana.
    >>

    >> Mike

    WHAT? You mean HP might do something ODD to hardware so it ONLY works
    on THEIR stuff??

    I'm AGHAST!!

    ;-)

    In all seriousness, not only am I not surprised, but I also hadn't
    thought about specially configured standard hard disks. Good tip,
    thanks.

    Nah... it was designed (IIRC) to improve on the data error
    detection/correction that Seagate employed.

    This was all for the good of the HP customer as HP only sold the best.

    OK... stop laughing now. Just like HP dont give payrises... its for the
    good of the employee and the VERY good of the shareholders.

    > On Wed, 26 May 2004 16:04:49 GMT, "Temor"
    > <iaintusingemail@itsafunnlyoldworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > >BEWARE... some of those Seagates have HP firmware on them... dunno if it
    > >makes any difference here tho' but just thought I would mention it.
    > >
    > >"Howd E. Doodat" <Howd@freagin.happen> wrote in message

    > >HP
    > >> >

    > >> Wow! Those things are still out there?
    > >> I've had one of those lead boxes (700i) sitting next to my workbench
    > >> <snip>
    > >> Those hard drives are just run of the mill scsi drives. The two in
    > >> mine are a Seagate ST12400N 2.1gig and an HP 9164-0396 2gig.
    > >> Seems to me that if you went to Ebay and looked around you'd find
    > >> yourself in your own little Nirvana.
    > >>

    > >> Mike
    >
    > WHAT? You mean HP might do something ODD to hardware so it ONLY works
    > on THEIR stuff??
    >
    > I'm AGHAST!!
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > In all seriousness, not only am I not surprised, but I also hadn't
    > thought about specially configured standard hard disks. Good tip,
    > thanks.

    ---

    Keep in mind the distinction between "supported" and "works" in HPSpeak:

    Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)

    Also, non-HP drives not "working" on HP-UX systems is more a function
    of the deep dark past - particularly when there was a more or less
    hard-coded disc partitioning scheme.

    The HP firmware is generally to address more HP-specific issues, like
    correct operation in a multi-initiator environment (serviceguard
    clusters) and stuff like that.

    rick jones
    feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    LOL ... I am always in admiration of those HP folk who advertise their HP
    email address - especially with the Carly Police around !!!

    "Rick Jones" <foo@bar.baz.invalid> wrote in message
    > Keep in mind the distinction between "supported" and "works" in HPSpeak:
    >
    > Supported, known to work -> warm fuzzies all around
    > Supported, not known to not work -> an HPite may be in trouble
    > Supported, known to not work -> an HPite is in trouble
    > Unsupported, known to work -> lucky today, unlucky tomorrow?
    > Unsupported, not known to not work -> there but for the grace of Turing
    > Unsupported, known to not work -> no, it was not deliberate ;-)
    >
    > Also, non-HP drives not "working" on HP-UX systems is more a function
    > of the deep dark past - particularly when there was a more or less
    > hard-coded disc partitioning scheme.
    >
    > The HP firmware is generally to address more HP-specific issues, like
    > correct operation in a multi-initiator environment (serviceguard
    > clusters) and stuff like that.
    >
    > rick jones
    > --
    > Wisdom Teeth are impacted, people are affected by the effects of events.
    > these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
    > feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

    ---

    Temor <iaintusingemail@itsafunnlyoldworld.com> wrote:
    > LOL ... I am always in admiration of those HP folk who advertise
    > their HP email address - especially with the Carly Police around !!!

    My only problem is with spam. I receive O(3000) spam email messages a
    day. Thankfully spambayes does a good job.

    rick jones
    feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

Hewlett Packard Hardware Computers