trouble in system 32

when trying to install software i am getting an error message saying that the
nt system cannot install programs in dos or windows. window title says error:
subsystem16 and in the box is c:\windows\system32\ntautoexe. need some
ideas,i ran out.
--
wjh420
3 answers Last reply

    Hi wjh420,

    Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\repair folder to
    C:\Window\System32 folder and see if that resolves the problem.

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "wjh420" <wjh420@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when trying to install software i am getting an error message saying that
    the
    > nt system cannot install programs in dos or windows. window title says
    error:
    > subsystem16 and in the box is c:\windows\system32\ntautoexe. need some
    > ideas,i ran out.
    > --
    > wjh420

    The only way I found to fix this problem is to delete the folder in your
    \program files directory called Windupdate not Winupdate. There is a file in
    there called Windupdate.exe that deletes your Autoexec.nt file after every
    reboot! Remove all registry enities called Windupdate. Expand your
    Autoexec.nt file from your CD back to your \system32 folder and all will be
    fixed!

    Ron

    "Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message news:<OnPx$dgjEHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > Hi wjh420,
    >
    > Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\repair folder to
    > C:\Window\System32 folder and see if that resolves the problem.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Patti MacLeod
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >
    > "wjh420" <wjh420@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > when trying to install software i am getting an error message saying that
    > the
    > > nt system cannot install programs in dos or windows. window title says
    > error:
    > > subsystem16 and in the box is c:\windows\system32\ntautoexe. need some
    > > ideas,i ran out.
    > > --
    > > wjh420

    After copy set it to READONLY so it wont be deleted again!! this is
    just a workaround untill you find out why this is happening!

System32 Microsoft Error Message Windows XP