qsahmed

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Hi,

I am looking to BUY a SONY PS3 60GB Console, But i m confused whether to Upgrade my PC or buy the PS3 Console.

If I upgrade my PC the configuration will as follows:

Intel C2D E6750 2.66GHz 4MB 1333FSB
Intel G33FB Mobo
XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB Video Card Fatal1ty Edition
Zalman Fatal1ty FS-C77 CPU Cooler
Corsair VX550W 550-Watt PSU
Corsair TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 (XMS2)
2* 250GB Seagate SATA 2 HDD
Sony DVD RW 18X

WILL THIS PC CONFIG BE BETTER THAN THE PS3 FOR GAMING???

Please help..

yas

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
A PS3 would last longer as you wouldnt have to upgrade it in a couple of years whereas a pc would need upgrading in around a year or two if you want to play games on max spec. Depends what kinds of games you wanna play: GOW, crysis, bioshock, hell gate london etc or MGS4, virtua fighting etc.

Do you prefer FPS and strategy games or arcadey games and role playing games?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
A PS3 would last longer as you wouldnt have to upgrade it in a couple of years whereas a pc would need upgrading in around a year or two if you want to play games on max spec. Depends what kinds of games you wanna play: GOW, crysis, bioshock, hell gate london etc or MGS4, virtua fighting etc.

Do you prefer FPS and strategy games or arcadey games and role playing games?

You won't have to upgrade the PS3, you'll just have to buy the new PS4! :p

Seriously though. It depends on your tastes. I personally prefer the freedom and re-playability that PC games offer. (Mainly modding and easy-to-add content to existing games) The PS3 is more maintenance-free and going to be more bug-free.

If you decide to go the PC route, don't buy that GTS. Go for the 8800GT, it's cheaper and only marginally slower than the GTX model.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Personally, I say PC. As others have said, later you have to pay to buy a new PS4, later with the pc, you may be able to get away with say a video card and ram upgrade on the PC, but it all depends what you want.

If gaming is all you want, then I would say the PS3. For the life of the P3 you will not need to bother upgrading it to be able to play current and new games for it.

On the PC, game developers always try to push the envelop. People are upgrading their PCs just to play Crysis, throwing money at upgrading the video card and / or the CPU.

If the PS3 has the games you wanna play, then just for it. However, if you want to do other things than just play games, then perhaps upgrading the PC is the way to go.

For me the answer is the PC 'cause I don't like playing games in front of the TV. While I do enjoy a few FPS games, most of the games I like will never be developed for a console. In fact, one game that I really like (X3: Reunion) was scheduled to be released on the XboX 360 (even though it was gimped), but the developer ultimately decided to cancel the XboX version.

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005

I'd buy a PS3 just for Heavenly Sword. Hey, why not save for both?

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Not very good selection on the PS3 yet. I'd either upgrade the PC or hold out a bit longer. With sony revamping the PS3 every quarter and changing the price twice as often, you will probably get a better deal on a better system by waiting until the game you really want comes out. If what you really want is already out then go for that, but there is nothing on the PS3 that has me excited yet.

Personally I much prefer the 360. The live marketplace is surprisingly good and it has excellent selection and competition. Just my personal preference.

Then again I did just build a new PC with similar specs to the ones you listed and have been loving the orange box.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
A Console offers trouble free gaming because every game is optimised for the hardware. I prefer PC gaming, but consoles have come a long way and are now a decent alternative.

dmacfour

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I would buy a PC... you have much more freedom, you can mod, and tweak the games to your liking.. however, you sacrifice the guarantee of good performance in the future.

i'd say pc. but i agree, switch out the gpu for an 8800gt.

i'm still playing battlefield 1942 and having tons of fun.
but i play crysis too.

(hey, that's pretty good for an agp system, especially with how well it plays)

depends on the games you want to play. i'd choose pc.