Confused by XP and these accounts, can someone explain

I using XP at the minute and just boot up into the desktop every time, no
login info requested and no need to input any passwords of any kind, that's
the way I like it.

Having said all this I'm about to format and I have been reading about an
account on every XP pc that is called "admin" plus there is also a couple of
other accounts as well, can someone explain to me (in English I'm not very
techi) how many accounts XP Pro come with as standard and how I could go
about getting rid of the one I don't want?

Treat me as an idiot and you can't go wrong :))
3 answers Last reply
More about confused accounts explain

    User Accounts That You Create During Setup Are Administrator Account Types
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293834&Product=winxp

    How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

    A Description of the Guest Account
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300489&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:46:42 +0100, Jim wrote:

    > I using XP at the minute and just boot up into the desktop every time, no
    > login info requested and no need to input any passwords of any kind, that's
    > the way I like it.
    >
    > Having said all this I'm about to format and I have been reading about an
    > account on every XP pc that is called "admin" plus there is also a couple of
    > other accounts as well, can someone explain to me (in English I'm not very
    > techi) how many accounts XP Pro come with as standard and how I could go
    > about getting rid of the one I don't want?
    >
    > Treat me as an idiot and you can't go wrong :))

    Since you will be the only user on the system, only the needed default
    accounts will be created. There will be no "extra" accounts to get rid of.

    Strongly suggest creating an account for yourself separate from the default
    admin account named Administrator. This is a good one to keep on the back
    burner and as pristine as possible for troubleshooting purposes. It will
    not display on XP Pro's welcome screen when there are other user accounts
    present. Log onto it by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the Welcome screen.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    jim,

    the admin account is the topmost/super user account that windows xp creates
    automatically. it can open all folders and do everything a user would
    usually do.

    however, once you have started windows, it will ask you for another
    account...sometimes, still with admin priveleges. meaning, another account
    with the same powers as that of an admin account user...but you can make
    this instead as a limited account also.

    a limited account cannot do everything an account with admin priveleges
    could. you can't install applications using this account.

    a guest account on the other hand is more limited. you could not even
    connect to the internet if you are using dialup. but this is good for
    everyone else who would like to use your computer and you are assured that
    they can't mess up with the whole system.

    if you want your computer to start without any password, then, if i may
    suggest, use another account other than the admin account. this would make
    sure that if you do anything wrong with the account you are using, you have
    a fallback.

    for your other question, windows will require at least one account with user
    priveleges. the rest, you may delete them. but then again, it is best to
    leave the original admin account alone until you need it badly, and use
    another account, be it with admin preveleges or a limited account.

    hope this helps a bit.
    --
    Regards,
    Dennis Lazo

    the email address from where this message has been sent from is unmonitored.
    e-mails may be sent at http://dennislazo.com/email/.
    information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
    rights.

    "Jim" <luckyjim(unowhat2remove)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I using XP at the minute and just boot up into the desktop every time, no
    > login info requested and no need to input any passwords of any kind,
    > that's
    > the way I like it.
    >
    > Having said all this I'm about to format and I have been reading about an
    > account on every XP pc that is called "admin" plus there is also a couple
    > of
    > other accounts as well, can someone explain to me (in English I'm not very
    > techi) how many accounts XP Pro come with as standard and how I could go
    > about getting rid of the one I don't want?
    >
    > Treat me as an idiot and you can't go wrong :))

Microsoft Windows XP