"back up" my computer

Hi,
I am wanting to download the new MS Service Pack 2. I am
being told by MS to "back up" my computer first. I
cannot find any instructions in MS Help (or the operating
book I purchased) on how to "back up" my computer. I
have CD, DVD and floppy ability on my Pentium 4 Dell, and
I am running Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Linda G

How to Use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP Home Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320820&Product=winxp

Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

You may wish to view the following:

Top 10 Reasons to Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2

Learn About Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/preinstall.mspx

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

I would suggest performing the following maintenance prior to
installing SP2:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

After installing SP2, run the above maintenance utilities again, then perform a Defrag:

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Linda G" wrote:

| Hi,
| I am wanting to download the new MS Service Pack 2. I am
| being told by MS to "back up" my computer first. I
| cannot find any instructions in MS Help (or the operating
| book I purchased) on how to "back up" my computer. I
| have CD, DVD and floppy ability on my Pentium 4 Dell, and
| I am running Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated.
| Thank you,
| Linda G

Carey,
Thank you so very much. I was going round and round in
circles trying to find info...it's not linked to the
search query "back up". I would have never found it!
Linda G.

us;305781&Product=winxp

>--
>Carey Frisch