marie

I just installed XP, upgrading from 2000. I can now see
my old files, but all seem empty. We didn't save old
files in 'My documents' and stuff like that, so they're
not there. I can only see they exist when searching for
them, however, they all state 0 bytes.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Should I for instance have to uninstall XP, will I then
be able to find and use all these important documents
again you think? Cheers

Hi,

Check under older user profiles which may have been migrated with the
upgrade. Upgrading Win2000 to WinXP is a one-way street, so uninstall is not
an option. Look under C:\Documents and Settings.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Marie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just installed XP, upgrading from 2000. I can now see
> my old files, but all seem empty. We didn't save old
> files in 'My documents' and stuff like that, so they're
> not there. I can only see they exist when searching for
> them, however, they all state 0 bytes.
> Any advice would be much appreciated.
> Should I for instance have to uninstall XP, will I then
> be able to find and use all these important documents
> again you think? Cheers

marie

Thanks Rick
Sadly I've still got no luck in locating where the
content of the folders might be. Not under C:\Documents
and Settings.
Have tried a bit more, but still no luck.
Cheers, M

Hi Marie,

You may want to try an undelete utility. It may help. These are commonly
available for free, and work on the premise that the space the file formerly
occupied has not been overwritten with new data yet. Once that has occured,
recovery requires more extensive (and expensive) work with dedicated
forensic tools by someone who knows what they are doing.

This one here works quite well for basic file recovery:
http://www.collina.us/files/REST2514.htm