Clive Barker's Jericho Discussion

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I decided to start this because I didn't see much discussion about this game. I just got it myself and I keep seeing that all the reviews from "reputable" gaming sites are giving it horrible scores (5 to 6 out of 10), but to be honest I played so far about 30-40 minutes in and I can't say I'm hating it. The story SO FAR seems great (I'm very open to whatever story they throw at us, be religious wars, modern combat wars, medieval, supernatural stuff etc..), the gameplay is pretty good (configuring the whole thing felt too "Consoley" to say the least... Default is Assist Aim ON... LOL), and even though the levels are not all that colorful (not supposed to be) I feel like I'll enjoy the game.

Also forgot to mention, the performance is pretty good to me, the motion blur effect is nice and even though you take about a 10fps penalty for enabling it, it definitely smooths the gameplay for me, but then again I'm really loving motion blur on games nowadays (Crysis and MOH: Airborne to mention a few).

KekaiGenkai

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I played through the demo and the gameplay drove me nuts. Especially the ninja type female, every time she swung the sword I felt like I was going to throw up. Maybe it was because I disabled the motion blur. The button mashing sequence also got to me, just a bit too much on the infuriating side.

As far as the graphics are concerned, I thought they were great. Even with my DX9 x1950xt they played very smooth.

I'm a huge fine of horror games, so if a lot of people liked the game, maybe I'll pick it up. Recommendations, anyone?

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Game is getting better and better for me, after a certain part in the game you can gain can control team members of your squad too (One at a time), each one is unique, so far I'm liking Cole the best. Story is also looking pretty good.

DannyBoy27

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
I must say that I enjoyed the demo so I got a hold of the full game the other day. It is a breath of fresh air in the tired FPS genre and definately worth more than those horrible reviews. Im nearly finished it and I give it an 8 out of 10. The gameplay is wicked - it has elements of squad control but you can play the whole game without even giving teammates orders. They follow intelligently and even scout forward for you - they also actively search to flank enemies and seek cover constantly.
The way the game is structured is quite interesting and really helps to submerse you into the world and storyline. There are no healthpacks or exploding barrels - no minimap with the enemies clearly outlined. The characters are all diverse and unique and their really cool abilities get revealed to you as the game progresses which keeps you going.
The fighting section where you have to hold off hoards of advancing undead etc are simply enthrallingly fun. I found the game to be fun, well paced and highly entertaining. Its a little on the dark side and not intended for the weak or those strongly apposed to games with a demonic/satanic influence :)
Great graphics - good engine and very scalable to older systems. few bugs and runs really really well.
Highly recommended!

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Completely agree with you (Just finished the game), would've liked a better ending (too open for my liking), but it was overall pretty good. I really liked the whole "control the whole team" idea, you get to switch around and get to know which character combat style suits you best over others very instinctively... I liked them all alright, but of course nobody was better than Church :D She's simply the most badass jericho member.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
This right now is the main game I'm playing and I hope to be done befor Crysis. But I really like the game also. I find that the story graphics and how immersed you feel when playing it. The head bobing, motion blur, DOF, all love. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would!

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
I have a 7950GT 512MB and it doesn't have Advanced Smoothing as an option? Also, I can't get out of the first "fall".... I don't have a jump button either!

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
@bfellow

There is no 'jump' button.

You can't run AA with Nvidia's 7XX0 generation cards because there is limitations when it comes to games that use full HDR and other post processing features. You can't use those features and AA at the same time. That was a huge plus that ATI had in that generation of vid-cards.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006

Nope. It uses 'Mercury Engine' an inhouse engine by Mercury Steam. It says so on wiki, and practically everywhere else on the net. So the detail of this thing shouldn't be compared to what a UT3 engine could spit out.

I think I'd try this game out, since it'd run fine on a 7600gt :D. At Bioshock I was only able to manage 1024x768 on high, maybe it's my proc but I don't got the money anyway.