Sign in with
Your question

dual boot question for gaming

Last response: in Video Games
October 30, 2007 9:27:13 AM

im wanting to keep my business stuff and my gaming seperate on my pc and I was wondering what the best way to do this is?? The best would be to just have another pc but I dont want to spend the money on that right now. Could I just add another hard drive to my pc and keep all my business stuff on the second hd? what about a dual boot set up?? what would be the best way to go about this?
October 30, 2007 12:39:42 PM

I was in the same boat as you, and I wanted a really good gaming machine... rather than spend money on a second machine, I bought 2 hard drives and was running 2 versions of XP (dual boot), and now I'm running Vista (games) and XP (work).

I'd get a second hard drive and setup a dual boot. If money is tight, you can just partition a single drive, but I'd recommend a second HD -- if one dies, at least you can still use your computer.
October 30, 2007 5:08:54 PM

Is it worth the dual boot? I'd just buy a second hard drive and dump all your business data on there. Why reboot the thing to play a game, and then boot back into the business OS to read a spreadsheet?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 30, 2007 6:23:10 PM

ok, i have a few new questions...

1st - what software or program do i need to make a dual boot system?
2nd - I have a copy of windows xp pro now... do i need to buy another copy for the other hard drive?
October 30, 2007 11:52:43 PM

mrmjs said:
ok, i have a few new questions...

1st - what software or program do i need to make a dual boot system?
2nd - I have a copy of windows xp pro now... do i need to buy another copy for the other hard drive?

or should i just do as was said above, just get a second HD and stick my business stuff there?
October 31, 2007 6:01:25 PM

I have a dual boot system (two hard drives). Vista 64 as my main system, and XP to use for some games because Vista 64 is a bit quirky with a few games. Supreme Commander locks up on occasion, so I use XP for that one. The Crysis demo runs fantastic on Vista 64 (4 gigs of ram), and is supposed to offer the best experience. I really went this route just to have access to a stable platform for the handful of games that don't seem to run properly on Vista 64. Works great for me. And most of my games work fine on Vista. But if you are using the same operating system I wouldn't bother with the dual boot. Just use a second hard drive like crom suggested. As cheap as drives are these days I would even add a third just for backup and storage.
!