not power source or power switch?

DJ

Hi,
I posted a few months ago about my HP Pavilion 531w just shutting down for
no aparent reason. I ended up with bad sectors on my HP (Seagate) hard
drive. Well I have another hard drive and power source, but the power still
just shuts off. Can anyone think of any other reasons for this? It happens
after the PC has been on for just a few minutes. Any ideas?
Donna J.

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:00:00 GMT, "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote:

>Hi,
> I posted a few months ago about my HP Pavilion 531w just shutting down for
>no aparent reason. I ended up with bad sectors on my HP (Seagate) hard
>drive. Well I have another hard drive and power source, but the power still
>just shuts off. Can anyone think of any other reasons for this? It happens
>after the PC has been on for just a few minutes. Any ideas?
>Donna J.

First things first:

I would advise you to get your NEW harddrive OUT of this faulty
machine ASAP, and replace it with your old bad-sectored one, until the
actual problem is definitively determined and fixed.

I base my suggestion on just one thing: If your old hard drive
developed bad sectors as a result of, say a power spike banging the
heads (or other esoteric exotica like overdriving the write head
current or "glitch writing" to protected area(s) of your HD) and your
new system is exhibiting the same power-fault behavior as it did
before, then it is reasonable to assume that your new harddrive may be
vulnerable to the same affliction.

Other things last:

You mentioned you posted this problem a few months ago.
Did you:
A) Get the new HD/PS at that time and it has been running fine until
now?
B} Just now get the new HD/PS, and found out immediately that it
didn't fix the problem?

Also, how long have you had this system? Has it been trouble-free
since then until a few monyhs ago? Or have there been other problems?

Is your computer plugged into anything besides the wall?
IOW, are you plugged into a UPS, a power-strip, a so-called "power
station" or "power distribution" thingy?

Do you know the "wattage" of your old power supply and of the new one?

The US has some of the (or maybe even THE) best regulated power
generation in the world. Still, maybe somewhere off in Podunk W.
Virginia, the power company thinks squirrel cages work just as well as
turbines (I once accused Conectiv here in New Jersey of that right to
their phone-faces<g>). Do you experience power problems often either
in your community or your house?

Have you installed any new peripherals in your system in the last few
months?

What kind of processor (CPU) is in your system?

Power up your system with the cover off. Check to make sure ALL the
fans are running, including the one in your power supply.

That's about it for my questions so far.... ;-)

Mike

DJ

Hi Mike,
I've got the old hard drive going for now. Really don't want to take any
chances messing up the new hard drive. As for the shutdown, it just turns
off, no warning or error messages.
Just as if someone unplugged the PC. It will not come back on until I
unplug the cord, wait a few minutes then plug it back in.
Thanks for the help,
Donna J.

On Sat, 29 May 2004 21:25:05 GMT, "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote:

>Hi Ben
> You helped me out so much before, wasn't sure if you were still on here.
>The PS is an Antec 300W.

> ... I wish that the picture of the MB on the HP website identified the parts in there for me.

Hehheh...You speak for us all, Donna.... ;-)

I personally view it as outrgaeously insulting that when something
goes wrong with one of their systems, that a user has to HACK his way
into his own damned system in the (often futile) hope of fixing it.

HP documentation doesn't even make good toilet paper.

"magic air" is perfectly safe for your computer.. Dust is not... Dust
traps heat, and this is not a good thing... Just remember, do not
shake the can of "magic air" before using it.. (the temptation to do
so is great).....

hth,

JM

On Mon, 31 May 2004 01:31:38 GMT, "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote:

>Hi Ben
> Hi, just wanted you to know that I checked the MB and couldn't see
>anything oozing. I do have a question though. Since I have had my PC open
>more, it has lots of dust on the motherboard and other parts. Is it safe to
>use the compressed air to clear out the dust. I hadn't noticed it until I
>got the flashlight out and did a closer inspection.
>Thanks,
> Donna J.

DJ

Hi JustMee
Do you happen to know why it can't be shook? Just curious.
Donna J.

JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
> "magic air" is perfectly safe for your computer.. Dust is not... Dust
> traps heat, and this is not a good thing... Just remember, do not
> shake the can of "magic air" before using it.. (the temptation to do
> so is great).....
>
> hth,
>
> JM
>
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 01:31:38 GMT, "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi Ben
> > Hi, just wanted you to know that I checked the MB and couldn't see
> >anything oozing. I do have a question though. Since I have had my PC open
> >more, it has lots of dust on the motherboard and other parts. Is it safe
> >use the compressed air to clear out the dust. I hadn't noticed it until I
> >got the flashlight out and did a closer inspection.
> >Thanks,
> > Donna J.

Sure do.. If you shake the can, you will get a blast of air mixed with
the propellant in the can at a much higher ratio, and the can will get
icy cold to the touch. I do not know if this is harmful to computer
parts, but it can be harmful to people.. You want as little propellant
as possible getting out, so you should never shake the can, nor tilt
it more than necessary.. It should be used upright as much as
possible.

hth,
JM

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 00:54:38 GMT, "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote:

>Hi JustMee
> Do you happen to know why it can't be shook? Just curious.
>Donna J.
>

>JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> "magic air" is perfectly safe for your computer.. Dust is not... Dust
>> traps heat, and this is not a good thing... Just remember, do not
>> shake the can of "magic air" before using it.. (the temptation to do
>> so is great).....
>>
>> hth,
>>
>> JM

DJ

Hi JustMee
I didn't know that about the compressed air. Strange though, I used to be
in pest control and we used "Wasp Freeze" and we had to shake it several
times before using it. It also had a propellant, which was later removed
from the product. Talk about a useless product then. It used to shoot up to
12 feet, a nice distance from those wasps. After the chance it was lucky to
spray a 1 foot.
Thanks for the info,

> Sure do.. If you shake the can, you will get a blast of air mixed with
> the propellant in the can at a much higher ratio, and the can will get
> icy cold to the touch. I do not know if this is harmful to computer
> parts, but it can be harmful to people.. You want as little propellant
> as possible getting out, so you should never shake the can, nor tilt
> it more than necessary.. It should be used upright as much as
> possible.
>
> hth,
> JM
>
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 00:54:38 GMT, "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote:
>
> >Hi JustMee
> > Do you happen to know why it can't be shook? Just curious.
> >Donna J.
> >

> >JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
> >> "magic air" is perfectly safe for your computer.. Dust is not... Dust
> >> traps heat, and this is not a good thing... Just remember, do not
> >> shake the can of "magic air" before using it.. (the temptation to do
> >> so is great).....
> >>
> >> hth,
> >>
> >> JM

Some compressed air products do not have a propellant. The label on the can
usually tells... Ben Myers

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:35:55 GMT, "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote:

>Hi JustMee
> I didn't know that about the compressed air. Strange though, I used to be
>in pest control and we used "Wasp Freeze" and we had to shake it several
>times before using it. It also had a propellant, which was later removed
>from the product. Talk about a useless product then. It used to shoot up to
>12 feet, a nice distance from those wasps. After the chance it was lucky to
>spray a 1 foot.
>Thanks for the info,
>Donna J.
>

>"JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Sure do.. If you shake the can, you will get a blast of air mixed with
>> the propellant in the can at a much higher ratio, and the can will get
>> icy cold to the touch. I do not know if this is harmful to computer
>> parts, but it can be harmful to people.. You want as little propellant
>> as possible getting out, so you should never shake the can, nor tilt
>> it more than necessary.. It should be used upright as much as
>> possible.
>>
>> hth,
>> JM
>>
>> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 00:54:38 GMT, "DJ" <DJ@nomorespamatt.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi JustMee
>> > Do you happen to know why it can't be shook? Just curious.
>> >Donna J.
>> >

>> >JustMee" <me@nowhere.com.invalid> wrote in message

DJ

Thanks Ben, I'll check the label.