Sign in with
Your question

Framerate glitch in Bioshock

Last response: in Video Games
November 1, 2007 1:51:21 AM

I recently bought and played through Bioshock a couple times, excellent game! I'm a perfectionist gamer, so I make use of quick save and quick load quite often, especially if I'm not happy with the way a fight happened or just want to beat the crap out of that big daddy again. I noticed something strange with quick load.

About every other time I would quick load, my frames would top out at 30 (usually 60). I hit quick load again and everything's back to normal. Anyone else experience this or is my game broken? Just wondering.

btw, the problem's not my system power, i turned on vsync, so my frames usually stay at 60, sometimes bottoming out at 59 (measured by FRAPS)
e6750@3.2
8800gtx
2gb ram @ 820
2x74gb raptors raid 0
ocz 700watt xtreme gamer
November 1, 2007 4:20:12 AM

i had this when i had 1 gig of ram with win xp.... (x1950 pro and x2 4000 @ 3ghz) i got 70 frames averge but certain times it would lagg for like 1-2 secs then run smooth again.... this told me that i didnt have enough ram because its trying to use the hdd to hold textures..... really slow..... u using vista mate? get another gig of ram, or do a duel boot...
November 1, 2007 4:21:06 AM

now i got 2 gig of ram.... smooth as silk
Related resources
November 1, 2007 10:08:46 AM

yeah i have 2 gigs already. the problem doesn't seem to be using the swap file. when i quick load, the frames will go to 30 and stay there consistently for however long i play. if i quickload again, however, they will go back up to the normal 60 and stay there. it's wierd. just wondering if it was just me. perhaps the game is telling me to stop quickloading so much.
November 1, 2007 10:28:01 AM

reminds me of the quake wars cap, 30 fps, you can thank consoles for that one! (you can uncap it though.)
November 15, 2007 12:56:34 PM

Ok, I figured out the problem. Here's my genius solution: turns out that F9 is not only the quick load button in Bioshock, but the default Video record button for FRAPS. every time i hit F9, i was quickloading and turning FRAPS recording on and off. I had recording set to 30fps, hence the framerate "glitch" When i loaded again, (stopped recording), frames returned to normal levels. Maybe my 8800GTX isn't buggy after all. Also, I'm retarded. Thanks for the help, folks!
November 16, 2007 2:21:13 AM

Had the same thing happen with HL2 (see specs)
May be an 8800 issue or v-sync.

Odd to say the least. I run fraps too, but im pretty sure i disables all record/capture. Maybe i didnt.
November 17, 2007 9:58:34 PM

jeremyrailton said:
Ok, I figured out the problem. Here's my genius solution: turns out that F9 is not only the quick load button in Bioshock, but the default Video record button for FRAPS. every time i hit F9, i was quickloading and turning FRAPS recording on and off. I had recording set to 30fps, hence the framerate "glitch" When i loaded again, (stopped recording), frames returned to normal levels. Maybe my 8800GTX isn't buggy after all. Also, I'm retarded. Thanks for the help, folks!

I also had the same problem. I also found out that I had 26 GB of vids saved in my FRAPS folder that I had no idea were there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After that I changed the vid record button and deleted the vids.
!