Word 97 - application error in Windows XP

Hi,
I have acquired a new computer with Windows XP. I installed Word 97 which
came with my previous computer in the Works Suite. This appeared to work OK
initially but I am getting a message saying that there is an application
error and my work will be lost when part way through inputting and even if I
manage to get to the end of a document when I try to save it it gives me the
same application error message and my work is lost. I have tried running in
compatability mode but with no success. How can I get my copy of Word 97 to
run in Windows XP
--
Maggie

Hi Maggie,

Have you installed the latest service pack for Word97 yet?
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/CD010224961033.aspx

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"tops 9860" <tops9860@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have acquired a new computer with Windows XP. I installed Word 97 which
> came with my previous computer in the Works Suite. This appeared to work
> OK
> initially but I am getting a message saying that there is an application
> error and my work will be lost when part way through inputting and even if
> manage to get to the end of a document when I try to save it it gives me
> the
> same application error message and my work is lost. I have tried running
> in
> compatability mode but with no success. How can I get my copy of Word 97
> run in Windows XP
> --
> Maggie

Hi Rik,
No I don't believe I have installed any service pack - at the moment I have
uninstalled Word 97 and have just realised my daughter has the installation
disc with my old computer - I will reinstall the programme when I get the
disc back and see if it works with the necessary service pack - thanks for
replying.
Regards
Maggie.