Installing Win98SE on 2nd slave hdd

Hi, I am running Win 2000 Pro on a 60GB harddisk- two partiotions:
OS and data.

I am thinking of adding a 2nd harddisk (40GB) as slave and running
Win 98Se (so can run some older games).

How should I go about this?

Will I have a dual boot menu (win98, win 2000) later?

Must I re-install Win 2000 pro again after I installed the win 98SE ?

TIA !

Hung

Multibooting with Windows XP: Introduction
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/multiboot.mspx

HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

How do I install Windows 98/Me after I've installed XP?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Root" wrote:

| Hi, I am running Win 2000 Pro on a 60GB harddisk- two partiotions:
| OS and data.
|
| I am thinking of adding a 2nd harddisk (40GB) as slave and running
| Win 98Se (so can run some older games).
|
| How should I go about this?
|
| Will I have a dual boot menu (win98, win 2000) later?
|
| Must I re-install Win 2000 pro again after I installed the win 98SE ?
|
| TIA !
|
| Hung

I run xp, 98se and linux, but I use plug-in hard drives to make the
switch. Also have several copies of my xp drive for backup. See
Computer Backup at:
http://www.photoprojects.net/index10a.html
Gene

Root wrote:

> Hi, I am running Win 2000 Pro on a 60GB harddisk- two partiotions:
> OS and data.
> I am thinking of adding a 2nd harddisk (40GB) as slave and running
> Win 98Se (so can run some older games).
> How should I go about this?
> Will I have a dual boot menu (win98, win 2000) later?
> Must I re-install Win 2000 pro again after I installed the win 98SE ?
> TIA !
> Hung

Hi, Hung.

The Golden Rule is to install the NEWEST Windows LAST. When we install
Win2K/XP on a computer that already has Win9x/ME, Win2K/XP Setup knows just
how to create the dual-boot system. But Win98 Setup knows nothing of Win2K
or WinXP - or dual-booting.

A big problem is that Win9x/ME can't read, write or even SEE an
NTFS-formatted volume, so it can't boot from one. How are the partitions on
your primary master HD (the 60 GB) formatted?

If Drive C: is FAT (16 or 32), you can install Win98 easily. It will put
its "system files" (io.sys and msdos.sys) on C:, then put the rest of Win98
in the \Windows folder on any FAT-formatted partition on either HD, as you
choose. Before installing Win98, physically install the second HD (jumpers,
cables, etc.), then use Win2K's Disk Management to create at least one
partition on that HDD and format it FAT. Installation of Win98 will also
overwrite the boot sector on Drive C: and your computer will automatically
boot into Win98, with no way to boot Win2K. After installing Win98, you
will need to boot from the Win2K CD-ROM and use the Repair procedure to
restore the Win2K-style boot sector on C:, allowing Win2K to boot. This
will also create the dual-boot menu, which will appear each time you reboot,
allowing you to choose between Win98 and Win2K.

If your Drive C: is formatted NTFS, then your job is much harder. Unless
you use third-party utilities (such as Partition Magic or BootIT.NG), you
will have to backup your data on Drive C:, reformat it to FAT, then install
Win98, then reinstall Win2K, and finally, reinstall all your applications
and restore your data.

For more details, see MVP Doug Knox's web page:
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

This is for WinXP, but the steps are the same for Win2K.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX