Hard Drive Size

Hi,

I was about to order a new 250Gb USB Ext Hard Drive to use for backup's,
archive files, etc but heard somewhere that there is a limit on the size of
hard drive acceptable to XP.

Is that the case?

I was also intending to partition it anyway. Would that help if there was a
problem?

Cheers.

David
12 answers Last reply
More about hard drive size

    There is really no limit as to the size of an external hard drive
    you can use with Windows XP.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "David Lee" wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | I was about to order a new 250Gb USB Ext Hard Drive to use for backup's,
    | archive files, etc but heard somewhere that there is a limit on the size of
    | hard drive acceptable to XP.
    |
    | Is that the case?
    |
    | I was also intending to partition it anyway. Would that help if there was a
    | problem?
    |
    | Cheers.
    |
    | David

    Pre SP1 the drives did have a 128 GB size limit. XP also won't format a FAT
    partition larger than 32 GB. These are the only limits. If you have SP1
    installed and 48bit LBA enabled, the drive size formatted as NTFS is much
    larger than you are going to install.

    "David Lee" <news@davidlee.me.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was about to order a new 250Gb USB Ext Hard Drive to use for backup's,
    > archive files, etc but heard somewhere that there is a limit on the size
    of
    > hard drive acceptable to XP.
    >
    > Is that the case?
    >
    > I was also intending to partition it anyway. Would that help if there was
    > problem?
    >
    > Cheers.
    >
    > David

    What does this have to do with an external storage device? The device in question can be any size, since it isn't hooked directly into the system internally.

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message news:10j6kctld3gfadb@corp.supernews.com...
    > Pre SP1 the drives did have a 128 GB size limit. XP also won't format a FAT
    > partition larger than 32 GB. These are the only limits. If you have SP1
    > installed and 48bit LBA enabled, the drive size formatted as NTFS is much
    > larger than you are going to install.
    >

    > "David Lee" <news@davidlee.me.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I was about to order a new 250Gb USB Ext Hard Drive to use for backup's,
    >> archive files, etc but heard somewhere that there is a limit on the size
    > of
    >> hard drive acceptable to XP.
    >>
    >> Is that the case?
    >>
    >> I was also intending to partition it anyway. Would that help if there was
    >> problem?
    >>
    >> Cheers.
    >>
    >> David

    The guy was just giving additional information as a means to help educate the
    new user you putz. Take a pill and chill. Moron. {]:~(

    Thanks Unknown
    "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    > The guy was just giving additional information as a means to help educate
    the
    > new user you putz. Take a pill and chill. Moron. {]:~(

    Unknown also is well KNOWN for giving very bad advice if not patently worng advice.

    I don't come here to coddle wrong advice, as you so replied to Unknown when he coddled you; I simply pointed out your error, in which I was very nice about it. What you stated had nothing to do with the limits that XP has with FAT32 or NTFS file formats on hard drives externally connected, since your reply only applies to internal devices patched into the MOBO. As I stated, an external device has no such limit, since no parameters are set through the MOBO.

    The OP clearly was asking about his EXTERNAL hard drive, so you previous reply was not only wrong regarding the OP's query, it was non sequitur!

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message news:10j77483i5odf9c@corp.supernews.com...
    > Thanks Unknown
    > "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    >> The guy was just giving additional information as a means to help educate
    > the
    >> new user you putz. Take a pill and chill. Moron. {]:~(

    OP wrote "but heard somewhere that there is a limit on the size of hard
    drive acceptable to XP". I wrote "Pre SP1 the drives did have a 128 GB size
    limit. XP also won't format a FAT
    partition larger than 32 GB. These are the only limits. If you have SP1
    installed and 48bit LBA enabled, the drive size formatted as NTFS is much
    larger than you are going to install.

    The information relating to formatting a drive larger than 32 GB as a FAT
    drive is pertinent to the case since Disk Management will not give you the
    option of a FAT 32 format if the partition is larger than 32 GB. I just
    verified this with an 80 GB USB drive. Would format as 80 GB NTFS but had
    to partition as 32 GB to get a FAT 32 format option.

    While I can't verify the information on the SP1 & 48 bit information as all
    my XP machines are properly equipped, the information I gave him was
    factual, especially the information in reference the limits. The
    information was meant to alleviate any fears he may have in reference to
    this new drive.

    So, obviously you were wrong in your statement, non prosequitur (and yes I
    am using this slightly wrong.)

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    Unknown also is well KNOWN for giving very bad advice if not patently worng
    advice.

    I don't come here to coddle wrong advice, as you so replied to Unknown when
    he coddled you; I simply pointed out your error, in which I was very nice
    about it. What you stated had nothing to do with the limits that XP has with
    FAT32 or NTFS file formats on hard drives externally connected, since your
    reply only applies to internal devices patched into the MOBO. As I stated,
    an external device has no such limit, since no parameters are set through
    the MOBO.

    The OP clearly was asking about his EXTERNAL hard drive, so you previous
    reply was not only wrong regarding the OP's query, it was non sequitur!

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Unknown
    > "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    >> The guy was just giving additional information as a means to help educate
    > the
    >> new user you putz. Take a pill and chill. Moron. {]:~(

    Listen, he asked if there was such a limit on an EXTERNAL drive, get it, so I am not wrong. !!!! I replied that there is none because he asked nothing about installing a drive internally, to which you info applies.. I am not wrong in my statement, since I gave an answer regarding an EXTERNAL drive. What part of EXTERNAL do you not understand?

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message news:10j7qioe97k61eb@corp.supernews.com...
    > OP wrote "but heard somewhere that there is a limit on the size of hard
    > drive acceptable to XP". I wrote "Pre SP1 the drives did have a 128 GB size
    > limit. XP also won't format a FAT
    > partition larger than 32 GB. These are the only limits. If you have SP1
    > installed and 48bit LBA enabled, the drive size formatted as NTFS is much
    > larger than you are going to install.
    >
    > The information relating to formatting a drive larger than 32 GB as a FAT
    > drive is pertinent to the case since Disk Management will not give you the
    > option of a FAT 32 format if the partition is larger than 32 GB. I just
    > verified this with an 80 GB USB drive. Would format as 80 GB NTFS but had
    > to partition as 32 GB to get a FAT 32 format option.
    >
    > While I can't verify the information on the SP1 & 48 bit information as all
    > my XP machines are properly equipped, the information I gave him was
    > factual, especially the information in reference the limits. The
    > information was meant to alleviate any fears he may have in reference to
    > this new drive.
    >
    > So, obviously you were wrong in your statement, non prosequitur (and yes I
    > am using this slightly wrong.)
    >
    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > Unknown also is well KNOWN for giving very bad advice if not patently worng
    > advice.
    >
    > I don't come here to coddle wrong advice, as you so replied to Unknown when
    > he coddled you; I simply pointed out your error, in which I was very nice
    > about it. What you stated had nothing to do with the limits that XP has with
    > FAT32 or NTFS file formats on hard drives externally connected, since your
    > reply only applies to internal devices patched into the MOBO. As I stated,
    > an external device has no such limit, since no parameters are set through
    > the MOBO.
    >
    > The OP clearly was asking about his EXTERNAL hard drive, so you previous
    > reply was not only wrong regarding the OP's query, it was non sequitur!
    >

    > "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Unknown
    >> "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    >>> The guy was just giving additional information as a means to help educate
    >> the
    >>> new user you putz. Take a pill and chill. Moron. {]:~(

    Is not a USB drive an external drive (haven't seen many that are internal.)
    As I stated in my previous post the drive is still limited to 32 GB if
    formatting as a FAT 32 partition as I proved to myself when testing with
    said USB EXTERNAL 80 GB drive. You are at least partially wrong as the size
    limit DOES apply to USB External drives for FAT 32 partitions if formatted
    in XP. Of course, if the drive was partitioned and formatted using a 98 DOS
    Boot disk the limit does not apply to the FAT 32 partitions and XP will use
    them happily. As I stated I can not verify (without dumping a computer back
    to pre SP1) if the 128 GB limit is in effect for EXTERNAL drives.

    Listen, he asked if there was such a limit on an EXTERNAL drive, get it, so
    I am not wrong. !!!! I replied that there is none because he asked nothing
    about installing a drive internally, to which you info applies.. I am not
    wrong in my statement, since I gave an answer regarding an EXTERNAL drive.
    What part of EXTERNAL do you not understand?

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > OP wrote "but heard somewhere that there is a limit on the size of hard
    > drive acceptable to XP". I wrote "Pre SP1 the drives did have a 128 GB
    size
    > limit. XP also won't format a FAT
    > partition larger than 32 GB. These are the only limits. If you have SP1
    > installed and 48bit LBA enabled, the drive size formatted as NTFS is much
    > larger than you are going to install.
    >
    > The information relating to formatting a drive larger than 32 GB as a FAT
    > drive is pertinent to the case since Disk Management will not give you the
    > option of a FAT 32 format if the partition is larger than 32 GB. I just
    > verified this with an 80 GB USB drive. Would format as 80 GB NTFS but had
    > to partition as 32 GB to get a FAT 32 format option.
    >
    > While I can't verify the information on the SP1 & 48 bit information as
    all
    > my XP machines are properly equipped, the information I gave him was
    > factual, especially the information in reference the limits. The
    > information was meant to alleviate any fears he may have in reference to
    > this new drive.
    >
    > So, obviously you were wrong in your statement, non prosequitur (and yes I
    > am using this slightly wrong.)
    >
    > "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
    > Unknown also is well KNOWN for giving very bad advice if not patently
    worng
    > advice.
    >
    > I don't come here to coddle wrong advice, as you so replied to Unknown
    when
    > he coddled you; I simply pointed out your error, in which I was very nice
    > about it. What you stated had nothing to do with the limits that XP has
    with
    > FAT32 or NTFS file formats on hard drives externally connected, since your
    > reply only applies to internal devices patched into the MOBO. As I stated,
    > an external device has no such limit, since no parameters are set through
    > the MOBO.
    >
    > The OP clearly was asking about his EXTERNAL hard drive, so you previous
    > reply was not only wrong regarding the OP's query, it was non sequitur!
    >

    > "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Unknown
    >> "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    >>> The guy was just giving additional information as a means to help
    educate
    >> the
    >>> new user you putz. Take a pill and chill. Moron. {]:~(

    That 32GB limit for FAT32 is only when you format it from XP. Older
    Windows's (W98SE/ME/W2k) has no such limit.. (2TB??)

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "LVTravel" <none@nothere.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> [...]
    > > advice.
    > >
    > > I don't come here to coddle wrong advice, as you so replied to Unknown
    > when
    > > he coddled you; I simply pointed out your error, in which I was very
    nice
    > > about it. What you stated had nothing to do with the limits that XP has
    > with
    > > FAT32 or NTFS file formats on hard drives externally connected, since
    your
    > > reply only applies to internal devices patched into the MOBO. As I
    stated,
    > > an external device has no such limit, since no parameters are set
    through
    > > the MOBO.
    > >
    > > The OP clearly was asking about his EXTERNAL hard drive, so you previous
    > > reply was not only wrong regarding the OP's query, it was non sequitur!

    mabe i havent understand the discussion but there are many limits with
    external discs like ie. the disc cannot be dynamic ntfs, but as always you
    can do almost anything but its not recommended or smart in longterm with
    compability and so on.

    nuff with boring talk, any ata/atapi device have a limit to 24bit adressing
    to the disc
    unless sp1 and tweaking is made!!! otherwise you havent made tweak your
    drive will be lost when adressing is exeeding the limit and so 1st
    masterfiletable is overwritten what can you do if your tables of files are
    gone.... mush work in recovery i guess. If extrenal device is ata disc or
    compatible connected with USB/firewire... cable out of the box its adressing
    is still made with the atapi drivers!!!!!

    many of 160GB disc died before i got it right... read about it

    http://www.48bitlba.com

    dont say anything before you know, done that been there... dont stay in the
    square.

    /D like dagoba - think before you vote, can moneyraced elections be a
    democratic way to freedom? Buissnes is buissnes, never forget!

    ---

    "Thomas Wendell" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > advice.
    > > >
    > > > I don't come here to coddle wrong advice, as you so replied to Unknown
    > > when
    > > > he coddled you; I simply pointed out your error, in which I was very
    > nice
    > > > about it. What you stated had nothing to do with the limits that XP has
    > > with
    > > > FAT32 or NTFS file formats on hard drives externally connected, since
    > your
    > > > reply only applies to internal devices patched into the MOBO. As I
    > stated,
    > > > an external device has no such limit, since no parameters are set
    > through
    > > > the MOBO.
    > > >
    > > > The OP clearly was asking about his EXTERNAL hard drive, so you previous
    > > > reply was not only wrong regarding the OP's query, it was non sequitur!

    Hi all

    A limit of 32GB applies to FAT32 drives. So if you format a drive
    under Windows XP as a FAT32 drive, then that limit will apply.

    Gary Hendricks
    www.baby-product-guide.com

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP