HP Media Center Question

Maybe the wrong NG if it is I apoligize.

I just purchased a Brand New HP Case, It is the case from the HP Media
Center m495-c.

I Love the style of the case and IMO it is probably the hottest case on the
market......

Problem is the Media Buttons on the front Panel, There is Nothing behind it,
NOTHING....I Mean they look good on the Panel but not if they dont function.

I thought there would at least be some Jumpers for the MoBo but not even
that...

Called HP and they didn't know squat, searched their help pages to no
avail...

Anyone know what I need to make them function?

TIA

You purchased just the case? OEM's are not in the habit of intentionally
selling just a case. HP is no exception. Certain replacement chassis parts
are sometimes made available but the entire case? You'll need to contact
your gray/black-market compadres and see if they managed to also steal the
electronics assembly needed behind the front panel. Otherwise, you could be
up a creek without a paddle. It's a non-serviceable part.

"GccTX" <nospamming@me.com> wrote in message
> Maybe the wrong NG if it is I apoligize.
>
> I just purchased a Brand New HP Case, It is the case from the HP Media
> Center m495-c.
>
> I Love the style of the case and IMO it is probably the hottest case on
> the
> market......
>
> Problem is the Media Buttons on the front Panel, There is Nothing behind
> it,
> NOTHING....I Mean they look good on the Panel but not if they dont
> function.
>
> I thought there would at least be some Jumpers for the MoBo but not even
> that...
>
> Called HP and they didn't know squat, searched their help pages to no
> avail...
>
> Anyone know what I need to make them function?
>
> TIA

Jeez, dude! You have a worse opinion of people the a right-wing Judge!
The guy's got a blank case and you assume it's hot?
Here's a dime. Call your Doctor. Tell him you're out of Prozac.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3479839221&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

"Hello?!" <hello@comcast.net> wrote in message
> You purchased just the case? OEM's are not in the habit of intentionally
> selling just a case. HP is no exception. Certain replacement chassis
parts
> are sometimes made available but the entire case? You'll need to contact
> your gray/black-market compadres and see if they managed to also steal the
> electronics assembly needed behind the front panel. Otherwise, you could
be
> up a creek without a paddle. It's a non-serviceable part.
>

> "GccTX" <nospamming@me.com> wrote in message
> > Maybe the wrong NG if it is I apoligize.
> >
> > I just purchased a Brand New HP Case, It is the case from the HP Media
> > Center m495-c.
> >
> > I Love the style of the case and IMO it is probably the hottest case on
> > the
> > market......
> >
> > Problem is the Media Buttons on the front Panel, There is Nothing behind
> > it,
> > NOTHING....I Mean they look good on the Panel but not if they dont
> > function.
> >
> > I thought there would at least be some Jumpers for the MoBo but not even
> > that...
> >
> > Called HP and they didn't know squat, searched their help pages to no
> > avail...
> >
> > Anyone know what I need to make them function?
> >
> > TIA

Ah, modern technology...ya just GOTTA love it!!

Where else but the internet can one get his foot shoved so far into
his mouth that he can tickle his ass with his toes with nothing more
than a pasted URL?

Good-bye, "Hello?!"

On Fri, 28 May 2004 09:58:18 GMT, "GccTX" <nospamming@me.com> wrote:

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3479839221&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
>

>"Hello?!" <hello@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> You purchased just the case? OEM's are not in the habit of intentionally
>> selling just a case. HP is no exception. Certain replacement chassis
>parts
>> are sometimes made available but the entire case? You'll need to contact
>> your gray/black-market compadres and see if they managed to also steal the
>> electronics assembly needed behind the front panel. Otherwise, you could
>be
>> up a creek without a paddle. It's a non-serviceable part.
>>

>> "GccTX" <nospamming@me.com> wrote in message
>> > Maybe the wrong NG if it is I apoligize.
>> >
>> > I just purchased a Brand New HP Case, It is the case from the HP Media
>> > Center m495-c.

This case shipped from El Paso Texas....Is there even a HP Assembly plant in
El Paso?

The electronic assembly is no where to be found....
The only options I see are..
1) Find a non working media center and try to salvage the Assembly
2) See If I can get the Assembly plant on the phone and see if they can help
(Been through Tech Support)

Seller was no help, Replied "Case was sold as is"
Well thanks for saying part of it's missing !!!!

To me this case is Useless without it.

On Fri, 28 May 2004 11:58:05 GMT, "GccTX" <nospamming@me.com> wrote:

>This case shipped from El Paso Texas....Is there even a HP Assembly plant in
>El Paso?
>
>The electronic assembly is no where to be found....
>The only options I see are..
>1) Find a non working media center and try to salvage the Assembly
>2) See If I can get the Assembly plant on the phone and see if they can help
>(Been through Tech Support)
>
>Seller was no help, Replied "Case was sold as is"
>Well thanks for saying part of it's missing !!!!
>
>To me this case is Useless without it.

OTOH, $25 is a VERY nice price for a goodlooking full atx tower with a
P4 power supply. I paid $48 for my ATX12V power supply alone!

There may be another option, though. You might not have to wait until
a "non working media center" comes your way. That could take awhile.

I rebuild computers all the time. It's kind of an OCD with me. ;-)
One thing I've noted is that when you pull switches out of these
machines (the push-click type like you find behind reset buttons and
the like) the little switches themselves are often very similar among
different manufacturers. The only difference is the bezel they plug
into. If you're handy with your hands, you could get som polystyrene
plastic (Hobby shops sell small sheets of it in various thicknesses)
and jury-rig a bezel to hold these switches. The switches themselves
cam be had from old computers or you can even buy them as well.

Would you happen to have a digital camera? If so (I hope I'm not
stepping on any group protocol with this request), could you take some
detail pix of the area(s) both front and rear that are missing the
switches and post them? I could take a peek and maybe give you
something more specific.

BTW, just in case we are NOT supposed to post binaries here, you could
always post them in alt.test or something and tell me that they are
there and the subject line you posted them under.

Mike

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

IIRC the missing switches are mounted on a small board with a USB adapter
chip. The card is connected to one of the internal USB connections.

BTW this is a micro ATX case.

craigm

gcc

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

"craigm" <none@domain.invalid> wrote in message
> IIRC the missing switches are mounted on a small board with a USB adapter
> chip. The card is connected to one of the internal USB connections.

Great Info, Now how do I get One?

The guy didn't purchase a "blank" case, he bought an "empty" case....
errr.... a REAL empty case. But you're right Howd. There is a chance these
cases are not stolen.

Since HP never sells empty cases to the public and their suppliers are under
contract never to do so, it is possible that at some point someone somewhere
just so happened to buy a truck load of HP Media Center PCs only to turn
right around and salvage the components and ditch the cases. Unlikely as
hell but hey, anything is possible.

Multiple OEM cases available on e-bay? Hmmmm. The e-bay vendor says they
come with a 30 day warranty with them (the e-bay vendor) AND "carries
manufacturer warranty." The purchaser contacts them about the missing parts
and is told they are sold "as is." Some 30 warranty! HP is certainly not
going to honor any warranty because they do not authorize the retail sale of
that part individually.

I'm sorry I came off like a dick. Obviously GccTX is not a criminal but I
am pretty damn sure this e-bay vendor is peddling "misdirected" HP
inventory.

> The guy didn't purchase a "blank" case, he bought an "empty" case....
> errr.... a REAL empty case. But you're right Howd. There is a chance
these
> cases are not stolen.
>
> Since HP never sells empty cases to the public and their suppliers are
under
> contract never to do so, it is possible that at some point someone
somewhere
> just so happened to buy a truck load of HP Media Center PCs only to turn
> right around and salvage the components and ditch the cases. Unlikely as
> hell but hey, anything is possible.
>
> Multiple OEM cases available on e-bay? Hmmmm. The e-bay vendor says they
> come with a 30 day warranty with them (the e-bay vendor) AND "carries
> manufacturer warranty." The purchaser contacts them about the missing
parts
> and is told they are sold "as is." Some 30 warranty! HP is certainly not
> going to honor any warranty because they do not authorize the retail sale
of
> that part individually.
>
> I'm sorry I came off like a dick. Obviously GccTX is not a criminal but I
> am pretty damn sure this e-bay vendor is peddling "misdirected" HP
> inventory.

Guys this case is Brand New...I mean Brand spanking new, It even has the
clear plastic Vinyl Sticker over all of the High Gloss Black.....