Two Laptops

I need some advise or someone to point me to some directions. My
Granddaughter and friend are moving into apartment. They each have a
laptop with integrated wireless Lan and will have cable modem. I have
googled for hours but can't find directions for setting up wireless this
way. all of the instructions refer to at least one desktop. I know I need
to get wireless router..looking at Linksys...
any help would be appreciated. Ya got an old lady here(three days older
than God)...
sara
4 answers Last reply
More about laptops

    "sara" <sara3xx38351@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I need some advise or someone to point me to some directions. My
    > Granddaughter and friend are moving into apartment. They each have a
    > laptop with integrated wireless Lan and will have cable modem. I have
    > googled for hours but can't find directions for setting up wireless this
    > way. all of the instructions refer to at least one desktop. I know I
    need
    > to get wireless router..looking at Linksys...
    > any help would be appreciated. Ya got an old lady here(three days older
    > than God)...
    > sara

    You're on the money. A wireless router will be the easiest (and best) way
    to setup the wireless LAN. There's no difference between setting a network
    with desktops or laptops. Well, there is one difference: when configuring
    the router, directly connect one of the computers to the router with an
    Ethernet (cat5) cable. This will prevent you from being disconnected from
    the router while configuring the wireless settings, and it will also help to
    protect the router's password from wireless eavesdroppers.

    Stay with us until you get things working the way you want. There are lots
    of people on this NewsGroup who are able and willing to help.

    Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

    Thanks Ron. The Granddaughter will be starting Med school last of Aug.
    Cable people comming on the 20th..so I wll be reading and printing stuff
    from here ..getting ready to set her up.
    sara

    sara wrote:
    > They each have a laptop with integrated wireless Lan and will have cable
    > modem. I have googled for hours but can't find directions for setting
    > up wireless this way. all of the instructions refer to at least one
    > desktop.

    No need for a desktop - setting up the router (say, a Linksys WRT54G like I
    have) needs a _wired_ hookup, and that just means using the built-in
    ethernet the laptops probably also already have. It shouldn't be too hard
    to set up the network connection with a wired hookup.

    Do write down all your SSID, MAC address, password, WEP encryption string
    _and_ the hex code key (the long series of digits and letters a thru f that
    the program generates from the string) as you set up the system. The
    Linksys browser-based setup is pretty easy to follow. When you have the
    router set up then you can set up the wireless connections on both laptops.

    Also check out the forums at www.linksysinfo.org - lots of specifically
    experienced folks there.

    --
    Steve

    Big thanks...that is the router I was looking at. I have wired network
    here with Linksys...and works great but got a tech to do it...The Med school
    is in Memphis and don't know any techs there...so I am going to try it
    myself! Will check the forum too!
    sara
    "Steve Caple" <stevecaple@commoncast.net> wrote in message
    sara wrote:
    > They each have a laptop with integrated wireless Lan and will have cable
    > modem. I have googled for hours but can't find directions for setting
    > up wireless this way. all of the instructions refer to at least one
    > desktop.

    No need for a desktop - setting up the router (say, a Linksys WRT54G like I
    have) needs a _wired_ hookup, and that just means using the built-in
    ethernet the laptops probably also already have. It shouldn't be too hard
    to set up the network connection with a wired hookup.

    Do write down all your SSID, MAC address, password, WEP encryption string
    _and_ the hex code key (the long series of digits and letters a thru f that
    the program generates from the string) as you set up the system. The
    Linksys browser-based setup is pretty easy to follow. When you have the
    router set up then you can set up the wireless connections on both laptops.

    Also check out the forums at www.linksysinfo.org - lots of specifically
    experienced folks there.

    --
    Steve