Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How can I save old Outlook emails to put on new computer?

Last response: in Windows 7
August 18, 2010 7:10:54 PM

Okay, I need to dump my entire hard drive and install a fresh Windows7. However, I can't lose my email information in Outlook (contacts, emails, schedule, etc.) How do I save this information and then place on the hard drive after it is reinstalled? Thanks.
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2010 7:55:43 PM

Hi.

Read this that can help you with the transfer.

Also exist a NK2 file that has all the email address of the persons that u send an email, that NK2 files is located in the following address:

1- For XP: C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\program files\Microsoft\Outlook. The xxxx means the username
2- For Vista/7: C:\Users\[User Profile]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2010 8:03:13 PM

That's a good writeup...that was my best solution too - save them as a .pst file and copy them over and reattach (File, open outlook data file).
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2010 8:18:21 PM

Everything should be saved in your .pst file, which you can back up and restore, then open after you've re-installed Outlook.
August 19, 2010 11:17:12 AM

saint19 said:
Hi.

Read this that can help you with the transfer.

Also exist a NK2 file that has all the email address of the persons that u send an email, that NK2 files is located in the following address:

1- For XP: C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\program files\Microsoft\Outlook. The xxxx means the username
2- For Vista/7: C:\Users\[User Profile]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

Neither one of these paths above are correct. I am using Office2010 on an XP system. Also, this link only describes how to change where the data is saved in Outlook, but not how to move existing data to a new folder. Any other suggestions?
m
l
August 19, 2010 11:21:16 AM

So I searched for any *.pst files and found one entitled Outlook which is over 900,000kb large. I am assuming this is it. Correct?
m
l
August 19, 2010 11:40:15 AM

The Outlook.pst file is located at C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\My Documents\ in XP for anyone else's future reference.
m
l
August 19, 2010 11:40:36 AM

Best answer selected by ahthurungnone.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 23, 2010 5:01:05 PM

That must be the new location for Office 2010...previously it had been buried in hidden folders in:

c:\documents and settings\(username)\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook

I can never understand why that would be the default location.
m
l
!