How can I save old Outlook emails to put on new computer?

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Okay, I need to dump my entire hard drive and install a fresh Windows7. However, I can't lose my email information in Outlook (contacts, emails, schedule, etc.) How do I save this information and then place on the hard drive after it is reinstalled? Thanks.

Solution
Everything should be saved in your .pst file, which you can back up and restore, then open after you've re-installed Outlook.
Hi.

Read this that can help you with the transfer.

Also exist a NK2 file that has all the email address of the persons that u send an email, that NK2 files is located in the following address:

1- For XP: C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\program files\Microsoft\Outlook. The xxxx means the username
2- For Vista/7: C:\Users\[User Profile]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010

Neither one of these paths above are correct. I am using Office2010 on an XP system. Also, this link only describes how to change where the data is saved in Outlook, but not how to move existing data to a new folder. Any other suggestions?

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
That must be the new location for Office 2010...previously it had been buried in hidden folders in:

c:\documents and settings\(username)\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook

I can never understand why that would be the default location.