Why the Silent Controversy over Soyo?

polyphon

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
Soyo is winning?!

Although Soyo has ascended in the ratings of other reviewers, the latest reviews of P4 mobos here make NO reference to Soyo (Tom's Hardware's recent comparative review of 16 mobos, et al).

As a new mobo buyer, I consider this...

1. Soyo has just won a few prominent industry awards with their P4X400 (e.g., Computer Shopper's Mobo/Year, active-hardware.com, motherboards.org);
2. They've turned around from their "cheapo" image;
3. My company IT guy loves them--for ease of installation, good performance out-of-the-box, & stability;
4. Fry's is directing customers toward this board.

Sure--it may not be an overclockers *dream*.... But Why *NO* reviews on tomshardware, hardwarecentral or sharkyextreme??

Some of us just want a solid, full-featured board that is competitive and upgrade-primed...right out-of-the-box!!

Barry Sindlinger
International Award-Winning Pianist-Composer
"Making Good Pianists UNIQUELY Great, by...
Bridging the Gaps in Traditional Music Training"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The P4X400 is an illegal chipset by an illegitimate manufacturer, I hope both Soyo and Via blow up.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

polyphon

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2002
Good point, if true (and, yes, I know about the suit--but I don't know if it will turn out that it's truly illegal.)

OK...so my next choice is the Gigabyte 81-EXP.... But doesn't that use the same chip? There IS the new Gigabyte with the SIS 648 chip. Any comments on that one??!

Barry Sindlinger
International Award-Winning Pianist-Composer
"Making Good Pianists UNIQUELY Great, by...
Bridging the Gaps in Traditional Music Training"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, only a few boards use the VIA P4 chipsets. The 8IEXP for example uses the i845E, which is a bit outdated, but is legal and has no known issues. Although I'm sure Intel published some erata on it that was fixed with software. Unlike VIA, Intel actually admits and fixes their problems.

SiS even gets a licence from Intel. We know VIA stole the bus even if Intel never prooves it. The evidence is in stores everywhere! And the fact remains that the SiS chipsets are more stable, more compatable, better performing...everything the VIA isn't. Meanwhile Intel goes for even more stability, compatability, etc in their chipsets, at the cost of a very small performance loss.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
The P4X400 is an illegal chipset by an illegitimate manufacturer, I hope both Soyo and Via blow up.
roflol!!!
I have a kt chipset dragon mobo and it has issues. Also, I don't like their marketing tactics. They usually put out a half finished version of their product (ie kt 266 vs kt266a) and later put out the version that works like it should. I hope soyo and via blow up too....into little pieces...with no superglue around...

Is there a synonym for thesaurus?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Soyo screwed me on my last warranty too, charging me $15 for warranty service. I now use a Soyo BX board I fixed myself. It's a great board, less than a year old, but the warranty is garbage. Which is why I won't buy more Soyo. Additional reasons not to buy Soyo is that they have embraced VIA, befriended VIA, and their support for VIA goes beyond using their chipsets.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Personally, I think MSI boards currently offer the best price/performance/quality ratio.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
why are you so anti via? you cant seriously think that they are still the devil? sure they had their problems, who hasnt. this is the first i have heard about any lawsuit, who the hell cares, if every one in big busness played by the rules there wouldnt be many big busness'.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The fact that they have NEVER admitted that problems were their fault and have always screwed the end user really pisses me off. For years I would have to wait for months or more for them to publish an update to fix a certain problem, then the fix would only work half the time, and VIA would still claim the problem didn't exist. Between me and my customers there has been hundreds of hours of information lost do to a southbridge bug that didn't exist. And I have spent hundreds of hours finding patches for compatability issues that didn't exist. And now that most of the fixes do exist, I should change my mind? They owe me blood. It's been too long. And they didn't even appologize.

Add to that the fact that they used extorsion to keep motherboard companies from using the SiS 735 chipset, many manufacturers dropped finished designs because of that. And the fact that their Intel chipsets still don't perform as well as they say they do. Honest review sites show a performance deficit. Yet paid sites (that is, paid by VIA) continue to give these chipsets "Awards", I could buy myself an award too, but showing it off would make everyone think I was dishonest. Can't I hold them to the same standard when they buy awards?

There are a lot of "hardcore" guys that support VIA hardcore because they see them in the same light as AMD. What they fail to see is that VIA is a giant, not an underdog. A giant criminal. If Intel were Goliath and AMD were David, VIA would be the mafia that set up the fight.