tlucca

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Hi all!

I have a Sony Vaio Pcv R522DS computer that uses an ASUS BX motherboard model P2B-AE rev. 1.02. Im trying to upgrade the cpu from 466 celeron to a faster CPU. Sony has been no help in telling me what the fastest CPU I can use is (whether it is a celeron or pentium III). I know it has to be 100 MHz cpu. I emailed ASUS but they say they dont support that mother board, that I must get help from SONY. Im kinda stuck here. Anyone have any idea what this motherboard is upgradeable to, and if I need a bios update (and where to get it?) I realize its a long shot, but I might just buy a pentium III 1GHZ and see if it works.

Any help would me much appreciated.

thanks,
Tom Lucca

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A PIII 1GHz should work, Compgeeks has the Slot 1 version for under $100.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
You could check out an adapter like Powerleap's that will let you run a Tualatin processor. That way you don't have to worry about voltage support.

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Good chance you may need a BIOS update... and looking at the Sony site, you're right, they don't offer squat!

Best reason I know to build your own computers!

Before you go out and buy a new processor, I'd keep looking around the web till you find someone who'd done an upgrade on that system...

Good Luck!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

deadkenny

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Depends on exactly what you upgrade to. Your problem is that ASUS is saying they don't support that board, even though they built it, because it was built especially for Sony. Sony apparently isn't interested in helping you upgrade either. What you need depends on what you upgrade to. If you get an actual slot processor, or a socket 370 processor on a basic slocket, then the board will have to be able to recognize the processor and supply the correct voltage etc. However, if you get an adapter card like Powerleap's, then the card should take care of some of this. Also, Powerleap should tell you exactly which board versions / BIOS revisions are supported.

That (upgrade) which does not destroy you(r system's stability), makes it stronger. Nietzche

rower30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
DON'T get the Tualatin upgrade!! I've tried it in a P2B with no luck at all. (see my post elsewhere on all this). I had to send the PL-iP3/T back for a refund (1.4GHz Tualatin celeron) and the 1.4GHz-s CPU(512MEG cache) version on a 370GU Tualatin adapter didn't work at all either. All sorts of boot issues, video instability, you name it. I ate $200.00 on the processor and about $40 on the adapter.
If you want to try it, stick with the PowerLeap conversion since they offer a 30 day guarantee and have been fine holding to it. I received a pre paid UPS ship back label for the PL-iP3/T. A great service policy by PowerLeap.

I ended up with a 1.0GHz FCPGA PIII coppermine on an ASUS S370 133MHz converter card. Upgradeware's slot-T converter card (http://www.upgradeware.com/english/product/slot-t/compatibility.htmworks) is odd because they say it is a Tualatin converter, but a Tualatin won't even boot in it! The PIII works flawlessly set to 133MHZ FSB on the SLOT-T card (odd, it shouldn't). The ASUS S370 (preferred) @ 133MHz is an unsupported settings on the P2B rev 1.02 but dead stable. So far the 1.8volts on the chip made for 1.5 volts haven't seemed to bother it at all.