XP-SP2 Display Properties, Desktop tab has a problem.

Hi,

What I did was format my 120 GB drive using the manufacturers tools and then
install a Windows 98 partition formated by 98 and the updates from Windows
Updates. All was well. I then installed Windows 2000 Pro SP4 to it's own
partition and got _some_ files from Windows Update. All was well. I then
installed Windows XP Pro to it's partition and went and got SP1 from Windows
Update along with many other files. All was well. All three OS's were clean
installed to their own partitions and all three OS's show up on the boot
menu. I did _not_ update one to another. I then went to install the powertoys
and a new installer was downloaded to my machine and I got SP2 and the
powertoys. I uninstalled MSVDM when I realised it was a pale imitation of the
Virtual Desktop Managers I'm used to from Unix, BSD and Linux.

Ever since I completed those steps my Display Properties, Desktop tab,
backgrounds list will only display bitmap (*.bmp) files and I can only set
bitmap files as backgrounds _for_my_Administrator_user_only_. The other users
are just fine and accept jpeg, BMP, HTML or PNG files as valid images for
their destop backgrounds and display them.

Hope this helps with your diagnosis.
2 answers Last reply
More about display properties desktop problem

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:27:10 -0700, Magus 1011 wrote:

    > Ever since I completed those steps my Display Properties, Desktop tab,
    > backgrounds list will only display bitmap (*.bmp) files and I can only set
    > bitmap files as backgrounds _for_my_Administrator_user_only_. The other users
    > are just fine and accept jpeg, BMP, HTML or PNG files as valid images for
    > their destop backgrounds and display them.

    Sounds kind of silly but try emptying your Temporary Internet Files folder.
    Then try setting an image file other than *.bmp as the wallpaper. When the
    cache folder is near full (and often large), having only BMP files
    available is a common problem.

    Also, if you have AOL installed and it is set to use Compressed Graphics
    (.ART files) - disable that setting as well.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    See if this helps:

    Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

    In the right-pane, delete the NoHTMLWallPaper value.

    Do the same in this key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User

    "Magus 1011" <Magus1011@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]