AvAFoxhound

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
I'm having issues with 2142, in that it freezes to the point it requires a restart.
This occurs about 3/4 of the way into a game.
It only happens for 2142.
Bioshock, Crysis demo, HL2 (all versions) and Oblivion all run fine.
My specs are:
AMD Athlon64 4000+
2GB 667 RAM
X1950GT
500GB and 160GB hard drives
XP Home
Everything is running stock, since the first thing i did when it froze was remove all overclocks.

This is a fairly new issue, when i first made the comp, it would play fine. I think it was about the time i got the seccond hard drive that it started crashing. (may not be connected, since that's only a rough time)

I was originally thinking it was a heat issue, since it takes a while for the crash to happen, but i've been checking each component, and the all seem to be within functioning temperature.
CPU stayed at around 50 degrees i think
Graphics card at 60 degrees
I found that the hard drives got mighty hot, but i took them out and had a desk fan blowing on them, but it still froze.
I also had 2142 installed on both hard drives, but it still crashes on either.
Uninstall/Reinstall seems to grant me one full game, but i've only tried that once, and it may have just been luck, or the game having already been well underway.
To check graphics card, i set all settings to low/minimum, and even that froze about the same way into the game.
My other ideas i haven't tried yet are:
-Possibly dodgey PSU that came with case (i'd think that would mean other games crash too, but i've got a higher quallity one set aside for my better comp i'm building a bit later in the year)
- Possibly dodgey RAM, since 2142 stresses the ram pretty hard

Any ideas about what's causing it? (aside from 2142 being poorly made)

AvAFoxhound

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
I'm running the second newest drivers, since the latest ones cause fluorescent green dots to appear instead of certain colours. (i tried the offical AMD ones, the Sapphire drivers and the omega drivers, all with the same green random dots)

It's a freeze that requires a complete restart. The image freezes, the sound of the past second loops for maybe 5 seconds, then silence and an unmoving screen.

AvAFoxhound

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Just eliminated dodgey PSU as the possible culprit, tested with an Antec NEO HE 500w, and it still froze.

That just leaves possible dodgey RAM as the only idea i have left.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I haven't played 2142 in a long while (other than first strike mod), and haven't had that thing happen to me, what patch version they at now? Did they release the one that was beta to a full patch?

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Since you suspect your ram, test it with memtest to see if it gives any errors. BTW, what o/c did you have on your cpu? I am still running a 4000+ to.

AvAFoxhound

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
single player worked fine for 2 games in a row, so i'm pretty sure it's not that (got the day off work tomorrow, so i'll try for 4 single player in a row)

i'm using the 1.25 patch, though i'm thinking of installing it again, then trying the new beta patch (1.3 or something) and hope that fixes it.

Tried memtest, made it through easy, CPU was at 100% load the whole time as well so it's definitely not CPU or RAM. Which leaves me completely clueless.

CPU wasn't overclocked (motherboard doesn't allow it), ram was at 800mhz (ment for 667) and graphics was at 600-1200 (from 500-1200)

AvAFoxhound

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
yep, i cant remember the last time we got a patch (despite the game sorely needing it, how long has the game been out for and you still have to manually customise your kit every single game?)
The beta one is 1.4, and they're onto the third version of it.

It survived 4 single player games in a row, so it's safe to say the freezing is confined to the multiplayer.