Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Can Not get Windows 7 to install

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
August 18, 2010 7:23:59 PM

hello guys, i hope im putting this in the correct section of the forums, i also hope someone can help me with a problem that has been going on for about 2 months or so now

For Reference Here is my setup
Mainboard - MSI P7NGM-Digital

CPU- Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 (2.5Ghz 1333Mhz FSB) - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=33922

HDD 1 (Master, W/ OS) - Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ (750GB 7200RPM SATA) - http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/productmodel...

HDD 2 (Slave, Movies Only) - Western Digital Caviar Black (1TB 7200RPM SATA) - http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=488

Memory Set 1 - 2 x 2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800mhz (4-4-4-12 @ 2.0V) - http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=BL2...

Memory Set 2 - 2 x 2GB Patriot Extreme DDR2 800Mhz (5-5-5-12 @2.0V) - http://www.patriotmem.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline...

PSU - apower 850Watt - http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AK850

Graphics - Mainboard Onboard

about 2 years ago i built a pc that was to be used for media in my home theater, it was running Vista Ultimate x64 great, didn't have any real problems. I Left for college and decided to take the desktop with me so i could use it for my media down at school. Here is where the problems started, about 4 weeks before the end of the fall semester i was browsing the MSI website looking for driver updates for my mother board, the MSI P7NGM-Digital when i found this piece of software called MSI Dual Core Center as well as MSI Live Update. Im always one to try new software so i download both and try them out, i used MSI Live Update To Update my Bios thinking sweet i don't have to go through flashing it which worked fine. computer started right up and ran fine. i then looked at this Dual Core Center Application started it up and looked at all the options i could change and i was thinking this is kind of cool i guess. i then left for one of my classes, when i came back however the computer was dead, still running, fans blowing HDD's Still spinning and lights in the case were still on. the screen however was black, so i hold the power button to force shutdown and it turns off as expected but i have been completely unable to get it to turn back on since. i have just about everything i can think of, swapping ram sticks, trying it with 1 stick instead of four, taking the hdd out and running check disk on my roommates computer with no errors, tried vista install disk to no avail, so i decided to format the hard drive (the Samsung Is Master) fut the disk in roommates computer and formatted it (not quick format full format). i then proceed to buy a new windows 7 install disk at my schools computer store (we get them really cheap). i then tried to install windows 7 and have had a myriad of problems trying to do so. you name it ive probably tried it, clearing boot mbr, re-flash bios, clear cmos, different stat disk drive, Different IDE Disk Drive, tried installing it on the other HDD, Tried installing an old copy of Xp pro from cd, tried installing both xp and seven from usb drive, each time it just hangs someplace diffrent gives me a blank screen or gives me a different error.
My only thoughts now are maybe a new HD, although ckdisk gave no errors and we ran it 3 times, or maybe its my cheap PSU, which i got for next to nothing. i have talked to MSI and they sent me a new mainboard but still the same problems are occurring. right now the seven install hangs on the screen that says "windows is loading files" it loads the first grey bar then hangs about 1/32 of the way through the second. The xp install hangs on
"setup is loading files (windows executive).

I am out of ideas so if any one can help i would be in great debt to you, ill try and maybe shoot a video of what im getting to help show whats happening

Thanks in advance guys i know the TomsHardware forums is one if the greatest culminations of electronic knowledge on the internet so im sure someone can help me out.

More about : windows install

a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2010 7:34:40 PM

When you reflashed the BIOS it reset to defaults. I would check your RAM voltage and up it a pinch. Run Memtest.
m
l
August 18, 2010 7:39:42 PM

Yes on Reflash it was reset to defaults, however i exchanged the mainboard with msi for a new one and haven't flashed it since the new board, do you think i should re-flash it on the new board?

also i ran memtest and didn't get anything back in error

thanks for your quick reply
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2010 8:17:49 PM

How long did you run Memtest? Did you try your install with just one stick of memory?
m
l
August 18, 2010 8:31:13 PM

Ran mem test for i would say 2 hrs or so, yes i have 5 2gb modules and ran them all one at a time in different slots.

i just tried installing 7 from the usb again after bumping the ram voltage up a bit and got the same result, i then bumped the FSB on the cpu up from 1333 to 1387 (2.5ghz to 2.6Ghz) and it still hung at the windows is loading files screen but read the flash drive much longer and the loading bar reached about half before hanging which is about 16X more than before but it still hung....
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2010 8:53:19 PM

I think you arent waiting long enough for it to finish. It does hang and sometimes up to 10 minutes. If it actually errors, you got bad ram, hdd, or windows disk., or failing PSU.
m
l
August 18, 2010 9:10:06 PM

i usually wait about 20 mins between boot tries

One error i keep getting looks like this

Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

that is the only error i get on a regularly.

I Am going to try a different PSU out of an old Media PC that i know works and see what happens.

How do i fix this error if i get it again?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2010 10:20:26 PM

Try your install with just one stick of ram... and use a dvd.
m
l
August 19, 2010 12:59:23 AM

That was how i originally tried the install, Win 7 dvd and 1 stick X 2gb of ram. i herd of some problems with installing with more than 2gb, but it didn't seem to help.

i may end up sending it away to an it guy i know, although it is a crushing defeat to my ego.

Thanks
m
l
August 19, 2010 1:35:12 AM

ok a new development, after dinner, i gave it another shot using the xp install disk and 2gb of ram, unplugged the usb and audio plug that lead to the front of my case. and went with it. Upon selecting the disk drive using f11 after post it gave me the usual blinking underscore then a line of H 's appeared all down the first line of the screen with the blinking underscore under the second one from the top, so i just let it set for about 15 mins and still nothing

Looks Like this

H
H < THIS ONE HAS BLINKING UNDERSCORE.
H
H
H
H
H
H
H
Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks For All Your Help Thus Far