Random Crash & Stutter Sound

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Games
  • Crash
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
November 5, 2007 11:10:58 PM

Hi. I'm experiencing random crashes when from games. The game will freeze and a fast stuttering sound will play on forever until I manually turn off the computer. I recently reformatted my PC and before I had the exact same problem, and it seems to happen with every game not just a few.

My specs:
stock HP Motherboard
2 gigs of ram
3800+ AMD x2
Diamond Xtreme Sound - 7.1
Nvidia 7950 GTX

More about : random crash stutter sound

November 6, 2007 2:26:44 AM

well, a lot of things could be happening.

did you recently install or upgrade your hardware?

did you recently install new drivers for something?
if so, try uninstalling those drivers and move to an older version.

try running demand tests like 3dmark06 and prime95. if your computer freezes on 3dmark, it's probably a gpu problem. if it freezes during prime95, then it might be a cpu problem.

i don't know any good ram tests. however, you may have gotten a bad stick: try using one stick if you have two, or try them in a different computer and see what happens.

also, try running your game a bunch of times with different hardware; take out the sound card one time, stick of ram next, video card (if you can replace it with another or use onboard graphics), etc.

keep running tests and/or removing hardware and testing it on other pc's if you can until you find a config where your pc won't freeze, or you find hardware that's failing.

also, check your system temperatures. does the pc freeze after a certain temperature is reached?
November 6, 2007 11:10:01 AM

If you're on vista maybe the drivers aren't compatible, I've not heard of that make of sound card so that could be why, I used to get similar errors when there were IRQ conflicts, try moving your sound card to a different pci slot.
!