Backup..

Clear DayI'm a pretty new user to WindowsXP and computers in general. I've
been hearing a lot about backing up my pc and need all the information I can
get. My pc came with WindowsXP pre-installed and I don't have a disk. Ugh!

I'd appreciate any information you can give, in easy to understand terms, to
get a good backup program. I have a cd/dvd burner and I'm cable, if having
cable makes a difference in burning a backup.

Also... I understand that Windows created a back up partition on the
computer, but what happens if the computer really goes belly up? How can it
restore everything. Plus, I've added new stuff since the pc was new.

Thanks for all the help.

Helen

PS. I've been hearing about Norton's Ghost. Would that be a good program?
Also, what about an offline backup storage program. I've read something
about that. Sorry for all the questions...

More about backup

    Hi,

    For a new user, the important thing right now is to backup files you create.
    The operating system and programs can always be reinstalled. Backups can be
    created by copying the files to CD or floppy. There are many programs
    available that can do this as well.

    Windows does not create a backup partition, that is something created by
    your system manufacturer as a fallback since you don't have any disks with
    the system. It is meant for you to restore the system to factory state if
    you are unable to recover otherwise. Follow the manufacturers instructions
    for using it.

    There is also drive imaging, which you mention, which is nice, but can be
    overkill for some users. It allows you to simply go back to the point of the
    last image, saving installed programs and files saved up to that point. It
    will not save files created after the point of the last backup.

    Basically, you need to decide on what type of backup strategy you want, then
    get the appropriate software for it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Gaga6" <hel3ngaga6hwNOSPAM@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > Clear DayI'm a pretty new user to WindowsXP and computers in general.
    > I've
    > been hearing a lot about backing up my pc and need all the information I
    > can
    > get. My pc came with WindowsXP pre-installed and I don't have a disk.
    > Ugh!
    >
    > I'd appreciate any information you can give, in easy to understand terms,
    > get a good backup program. I have a cd/dvd burner and I'm cable, if
    > having
    > cable makes a difference in burning a backup.
    >
    > Also... I understand that Windows created a back up partition on the
    > computer, but what happens if the computer really goes belly up? How can
    > it
    > restore everything. Plus, I've added new stuff since the pc was new.
    >
    > Thanks for all the help.
    >
    > Helen
    >
    > PS. I've been hearing about Norton's Ghost. Would that be a good
    > program?
    > Also, what about an offline backup storage program. I've read something
    > about that. Sorry for all the questions...

    OK. I answered you about Norton Ghost and backing up down below. But right
    now i am going to rant, just in case any newbie types are reading this and
    conntemplating buying a new computer. So here goes: I hope you aren't saying
    you bought a new computer? If so, man did they see you coming with a big fat
    mark on your head. In this day and age I do not understand any company
    selling a computer with XP on it and not give you the recovery disk(s). On it
    should be XP (works for that particular computer only) as well as any special
    files & stuff needed for that particular brand or hardware configuration. Is
    it a little fly-by-night operation - a place that slaps together computers
    with parts and sticks their name on it? Did you get a 1 year warrantee as you
    should have, did you?

    Anyone new to computers reading this - buy a major brand for crying out loud,
    & get the recovery disks with it, as well as a one year warrantee. This is
    pretty standard stuff any reputable company gives..

    If you are on a budget, might I suggest - good low priced computers
    (comparatively) are put out by eMachines. Look for a sale with rebates, they
    happen often. 7 days a week 6am to 12pm free voice support. And beleive me
    it comes in handy. And buy an extended factory warrantee for 2 additional
    years if you can, just for the voice support if nothing else. Their Athalons
    are well priced. They've had a 2.6 GHz Celeron on sale on & off with monitor
    & printer & XP for around $350 with rebates, if you catch the sale here &
    there. BTW, eMachines & Gateway have merged.

    ** OK, done ranting. As far as backing up, Norton Ghost will make a complete
    "image" of your Hard drive, meaning the operating system and everything is
    backed up onto it. You can back up (image) onto CDs, which is ridiculous
    these days with file sizes. You can back-up onto DVD's, which is somewhat
    better.

    But the best thing to do is invest a little more money and buy an external
    hard drive too. You just plug it into a USB port, and XP knows you just
    plugged it in, and assigns it a drive letter. Unplug it, and it goes away.
    It has it's own power supply, so it will be turned off most of the time
    because you are only going to use it to back up with. You can even save
    yourself the bother of plugging/unplugging the USB cable in, because even if
    plugged into a USB port, it isn't recognized as long as the power supply is
    off. Just use one of those on-off electric switch thingies. External HDs are
    getting cheaper as I type this sentence. Like $70 for 120 gigs maybe. I
    bought a 160 gig on sale (same size as my C:)

    Even if you do not buy the imaging software, get an external HD. Whatever you
    download and install, always save it to your regular HD first if given the
    option. Then save this stuff to your external (pre-installed form) every once
    in a while. If you ever have to or want to re-install XP, you'll have all of
    the stuff, software, movies, pictures, music, all saved on the external to
    copy over after re-installing XP.

    ...D.
    ------------------------------ original post:
    On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 19:24:42 -0400, "Gaga6" <hel3ngaga6hwNOSPAM@optonline.net>
    wrote:

    >Clear DayI'm a pretty new user to WindowsXP and computers in general. I've
    >been hearing a lot about backing up my pc and need all the information I can
    >get. My pc came with WindowsXP pre-installed and I don't have a disk. Ugh!
    >
    >I'd appreciate any information you can give, in easy to understand terms, to
    >get a good backup program. I have a cd/dvd burner and I'm cable, if having
    >cable makes a difference in burning a backup.
    >
    >Also... I understand that Windows created a back up partition on the
    >computer, but what happens if the computer really goes belly up? How can it
    >restore everything. Plus, I've added new stuff since the pc was new.
    >
    >Thanks for all the help.
    >
    >Helen
    >
    >PS. I've been hearing about Norton's Ghost. Would that be a good program?
    >Also, what about an offline backup storage program. I've read something
    >about that. Sorry for all the questions...

Backup Windows XP