cd drive letter has changed!

I've recently installed a second hard drive onto my system & as a
result the cd drive has changed it's letter from E: to F:! When I tried
to launch an application that I have installed on my main hard drive
partition (C:) that requires a CD to read it's data from, it refuses to
launch saying that it cannot find a CD in drive E:, which it obvioulsy
can't as E: is no longer the CD drive!
Now I know that I could use the disk maagement console snap in to
change the drive letters back again, but I don't really want to do that
so I was wondering whether there's an easy way to solve this problem by
getting the app to look at the correct letter for the drive (ie) to get
it to look at the F: drive when I run the program from it's exe on the
C: drive, or do I have to re-install it to get it to look at the proper
drive? I'd really rather not have to swap the drive letters about unless
I really have to so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
advance!
4 answers Last reply
More about drive letter changed

    "Tim Lister" wrote:
    > I've recently installed a second hard drive onto my system & as a
    > result the cd drive has changed it's letter from E: to F:! When I tried
    > to launch an application that I have installed on my main hard drive
    > partition (C:) that requires a CD to read it's data from, it refuses to
    > launch saying that it cannot find a CD in drive E:, which it obvioulsy
    > can't as E: is no longer the CD drive!
    > Now I know that I could use the disk maagement console snap in to
    > change the drive letters back again, but I don't really want to do that
    > so I was wondering whether there's an easy way to solve this problem by
    > getting the app to look at the correct letter for the drive (ie) to get
    > it to look at the F: drive when I run the program from it's exe on the
    > C: drive, or do I have to re-install it to get it to look at the proper
    > drive? I'd really rather not have to swap the drive letters about unless
    > I really have to so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
    > advance!

    You know the easy way... You just have to do it.
    Swapping the drive letters won't hurt anything, reinstalling the application
    (depending on what it is) should fix it..

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately responsible

    And that is the reason I immediately change the CD drive letter/s on any new
    computer I get or build for others before installing any software. That way
    if I install a HD later, I don't have to worry about this problem.

    "Tim Lister"
    <t.lister4Spammenot@ntlworldNoSpamPlease.whatdidIsayaboutspam?.com> wrote in
    message news:o7PYc.1267$O23.1168@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...

    LVTravel wrote:

    > And that is the reason I immediately change the CD drive letter/s on any new
    > computer I get or build for others before installing any software. That way
    > if I install a HD later, I don't have to worry about this problem.
    >

    > "Tim Lister"
    > <t.lister4Spammenot@ntlworldNoSpamPlease.whatdidIsayaboutspam?.com> wrote in
    > message news:o7PYc.1267$O23.1168@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
    >
    >> I've recently installed a second hard drive onto my system & as a
    >>result the cd drive has changed it's letter from E: to F:! When I tried
    >>to launch an application that I have installed on my main hard drive
    >>partition (C:) that requires a CD to read it's data from, it refuses to
    >>launch saying that it cannot find a CD in drive E:, which it obvioulsy
    >>can't as E: is no longer the CD drive!
    >> Now I know that I could use the disk maagement console snap in to
    >>change the drive letters back again, but I don't really want to do that
    >>so I was wondering whether there's an easy way to solve this problem by
    >>getting the app to look at the correct letter for the drive (ie) to get
    >>it to look at the F: drive when I run the program from it's exe on the
    >>C: drive, or do I have to re-install it to get it to look at the proper
    >>drive? I'd really rather not have to swap the drive letters about unless
    >>I really have to so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
    >>advance!

    I actually managed to solve this problem by finding the .ini file for
    the application in its main directory & editing the relevent lines
    within it to ensure that the application "knew" that the CD drive was in
    fact the F: drive!
    Thanks for the advice though, as it's good to know what you can &
    can't go about doing in Windows!

    Boy, you sure were fortunate in being able to change the drive letter in the
    ini file. Most programs would not accept the change. I have a few games
    that refuse to run if they are not physically in the drive that they were
    installed from. I have even tried to use programs such as virtual CD and
    they also fail to run. I have even use hack programs on the cds and they
    still won't run if the CD isn't in the drive and backups won't work either.
    (Better not lose those CDs huh!)

    On my previous post, I stated that I change the drive letter but I didn't
    state what I change them to. Well, I use drive R for any drive that is read
    only and W for any drive that will Write. Simple huh. Saves a lot of time
    when I have to figure out which drive is showing in Explorer or other
    programs.

    message news:gGUYc.8$io5.7@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
    > LVTravel wrote:
    >
    > > And that is the reason I immediately change the CD drive letter/s on any
    new
    > > computer I get or build for others before installing any software. That
    way
    > > if I install a HD later, I don't have to worry about this problem.
    > >

    > > "Tim Lister"
    > > <t.lister4Spammenot@ntlworldNoSpamPlease.whatdidIsayaboutspam?.com>
    wrote in
    > > message news:o7PYc.1267$O23.1168@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
    > >
    > >> I've recently installed a second hard drive onto my system & as a
    > >>result the cd drive has changed it's letter from E: to F:! When I tried
    > >>to launch an application that I have installed on my main hard drive
    > >>partition (C:) that requires a CD to read it's data from, it refuses to
    > >>launch saying that it cannot find a CD in drive E:, which it obvioulsy
    > >>can't as E: is no longer the CD drive!
    > >> Now I know that I could use the disk maagement console snap in to
    > >>change the drive letters back again, but I don't really want to do that
    > >>so I was wondering whether there's an easy way to solve this problem by
    > >>getting the app to look at the correct letter for the drive (ie) to get
    > >>it to look at the F: drive when I run the program from it's exe on the
    > >>C: drive, or do I have to re-install it to get it to look at the proper
    > >>drive? I'd really rather not have to swap the drive letters about unless
    > >>I really have to so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in
    > >>advance!
    > >>

    > I actually managed to solve this problem by finding the .ini file for
    > the application in its main directory & editing the relevent lines
    > within it to ensure that the application "knew" that the CD drive was in
    > fact the F: drive!
    > Thanks for the advice though, as it's good to know what you can &
    > can't go about doing in Windows!

CD Drives Windows XP