Odd problem sending text messages - new verizon customer

I just switched to Verizon and I use my laptop to send text to my
phone such as shopping lists etc. I have an odd problem sending text
messages.
If I send a message from outlook or even through a web based e-mail
account such as Yahoo to <mytel#>@vtext.com from my laptop , I never
get the text message, not even a bounce back error message. But if I
use someone else's computer, even with the same internet connection, I
do indeed receive the text message. I disabled my firewall and
anti-virus program, but I am still baffled as to what may be
happening. Verizon customer support was no help. Has anyone else had
this problem?
Thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about problem sending text messages verizon customer

    Just a guess...
    Make sure you're sending straignt text and not HTML.

    In <e8fde247.0405191642.1f3e1673@posting.google.com>, on 05/19/04
    at 05:42 PM, techman41973@yahoo.com (Joe Blo) said:

    >I just switched to Verizon and I use my laptop to send text to my phone
    >such as shopping lists etc. I have an odd problem sending text messages.
    >If I send a message from outlook or even through a web based e-mail
    >account such as Yahoo to <mytel#>@vtext.com from my laptop , I never get
    >the text message, not even a bounce back error message. But if I use
    >someone else's computer, even with the same internet connection, I do
    >indeed receive the text message. I disabled my firewall and anti-virus
    >program, but I am still baffled as to what may be happening. Verizon
    >customer support was no help. Has anyone else had this problem?
    >Thanks

    For what it's worth, that guess sounds pretty good.

    Just for fun, have you gone to the vtext website and sent yourself a
    message? (www.vtext.com )

    I usually do that to narrow down if it is them or me. From your saying it
    worked on someone else's computer, but not yours, I would suggest that means
    it's you and not them.

    I have anti-virus and firewall software, just go to the website and use the
    browser directly to see if it your email program, or the antivirus/firewall
    (if so, it will NOT work from your browser either)

    <NOSPAMpdonnell@northnet.org> wrote in message
    > Just a guess...
    > Make sure you're sending straignt text and not HTML.
    >
    > In <e8fde247.0405191642.1f3e1673@posting.google.com>, on 05/19/04
    > at 05:42 PM, techman41973@yahoo.com (Joe Blo) said:
    >
    >> I just switched to Verizon and I use my laptop to send text to my
    >> phone such as shopping lists etc. I have an odd problem sending text
    >> messages. If I send a message from outlook or even through a web
    >> based e-mail account such as Yahoo to <mytel#>@vtext.com from my
    >> laptop , I never get the text message, not even a bounce back error
    >> message. But if I use someone else's computer, even with the same
    >> internet connection, I do indeed receive the text message. I
    >> disabled my firewall and anti-virus program, but I am still baffled
    >> as to what may be happening. Verizon customer support was no help.
    >> Has anyone else had this problem?
    >> Thanks

    Some time around 19 May 2004 17:42:41 -0700 (give or take a month), someone who says they are named
    techman41973@yahoo.com (Joe Blo) fired up the tubes on the teletype and rambled on about:

    >If I send a message from outlook or even through a web based e-mail
    >account such as Yahoo to <mytel#>@vtext.com from my laptop , I never
    >get the text message, not even a bounce back error message. But if I
    >use someone else's computer, even with the same internet connection, I

    If you are using your account on someone else's computer. (the same username and password as your
    laptop) then it might be that vtext has your ISP blacklisted. Meaning no messages from @yourisp.com
    get through. Does other emails get through? It isn't sitting in your out box is it?

    -W

    Double U wrote:

    > Some time around 19 May 2004 17:42:41 -0700 (give or take a month), someone who says they are named
    > techman41973@yahoo.com (Joe Blo) fired up the tubes on the teletype and rambled on about:
    >

    >>If I send a message from outlook or even through a web based e-mail
    >>account such as Yahoo to <mytel#>@vtext.com from my laptop , I never
    >>get the text message, not even a bounce back error message. But if I
    >>use someone else's computer, even with the same internet connection, I
    >

    > If you are using your account on someone else's computer. (the same username and password as your
    > laptop) then it might be that vtext has your ISP blacklisted. Meaning no messages from @yourisp.com
    > get through. Does other emails get through? It isn't sitting in your out box is it?
    >

    > -W

    How would someone determine whether vtext has blacklisted a particular
    ISP? Is there a list or can we call a number, such as customer service?

    Thanks,

    blu.....

    Good point. Yet my yahoo account should then deliver the same results
    regardless of which computer I log in from.

    On 22 May 2004 15:01:46 -0700, techman41973@yahoo.com (Joe Blo) wrote:

    >Good point. Yet my yahoo account should then deliver the same results
    >regardless of which computer I log in from.
    >

    >NOSPAMpdonnell@northnet.org wrote in message news:<40ac0754$1$cqbaaryy$mr2ice@news.verizon.net>...
    >> Just a guess...
    >> Make sure you're sending straignt text and not HTML.
    >>
    >> In <e8fde247.0405191642.1f3e1673@posting.google.com>, on 05/19/04
    >> at 05:42 PM, techman41973@yahoo.com (Joe Blo) said:
    >>
    >> >I just switched to Verizon and I use my laptop to send text to my phone
    >> >such as shopping lists etc. I have an odd problem sending text messages.
    >> >If I send a message from outlook or even through a web based e-mail
    >> >account such as Yahoo to <mytel#>@vtext.com from my laptop , I never get
    >> >the text message, not even a bounce back error message. But if I use
    >> >someone else's computer, even with the same internet connection, I do
    >> >indeed receive the text message. I disabled my firewall and anti-virus
    >> >program, but I am still baffled as to what may be happening. Verizon
    >> >customer support was no help. Has anyone else had this problem?
    >> >Thanks

    You might try setting up a username for your phone number at
    www.vtext.com, if you have not already done that. Then see if the
    message is delivered if you address it to yourusername@vtext.com
    instead of phonenumber@vtext.com.

    Some posters have reported that the vtext system seems to work
    differently when you use a username instead of a phone number, but I
    don't know if there is any validity to those claims.

    It's worth a try anyway.

    Good luck.

    - 4500 User

    > Good point. Yet my yahoo account should then deliver
    > the same results regardless of which computer I log in from.

    Unless there is a cookie on the local machine telling Yahoo that you prefer
    HTML.

    -Frank

Verizon Laptops Internet Connection Internet Service Providers