Scanner-printer-all in one

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

In XP can I install a a all in one unit as well as a stand alone printer and
a stand alone scanner? I know that Win 98 will not permit that. I hesitate
to install the 3in1 in case it upsets other settings.
TIA
Mel

Hi Mel,

Don't know of any reason you can't. Biggest problem I usually see is USB
units that do not have the appropriate power ratings. I would recommend a
powered hub over direct connection to the pc if you are using multiple USB
peripherals that rely on system power.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
> In XP can I install a a all in one unit as well as a stand alone printer
> and
> a stand alone scanner? I know that Win 98 will not permit that. I hesitate
> to install the 3in1 in case it upsets other settings.
> TIA
> Mel

"You Cannot Simultaneuously Use Two USB Scanners in
WIndows XP"

us;324756

(Watch for line wrap)

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Thanks Rick,
Will reply here in a day or so with my results. I have plenty of system
power, and minimal USB uses.
Mel

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 03:00:05 GMT, "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote:

>In XP can I install a a all in one unit as well as a stand alone printer and
>a stand alone scanner? I know that Win 98 will not permit that. I hesitate
>to install the 3in1 in case it upsets other settings.
>TIA
>Mel

Why not? All I have ever had through two XP computers, is a
printer/scanner/fax/ unit. The unit itself should have the appropriate CD to
install any drivers needed. I'm not sure how they all are now, but just in
case, get one that can work stand alone even without the computer on. (like
with separate buttons for copying/printing).

...D.

Thanks, hadn't seen that one. Do you know if it applies to all-in-one units?

--

"WIslu Plethora" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> [...]

disregard my reply, I mis-read the original. However I do beleive you should
be able to have 2 printers on one computer. i don't see why not. but hey,
just guessing...

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 05:39:23 -0700, ...D. <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 03:00:05 GMT, "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>In XP can I install a a all in one unit as well as a stand alone printer and
>>a stand alone scanner? I know that Win 98 will not permit that. I hesitate
>>to install the 3in1 in case it upsets other settings.
>>TIA
>>Mel
>
>Why not? All I have ever had through two XP computers, is a
>printer/scanner/fax/ unit. The unit itself should have the appropriate CD to
>install any drivers needed. I'm not sure how they all are now, but just in
>case, get one that can work stand alone even without the computer on. (like
>with separate buttons for copying/printing).
>
> ...D.

...D.

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Thanks, hadn't seen that one. Do you know if it applies to all-in-one units?

It applies to the scanning function.

Shakey

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Thank to you all I have a printer, a scanner, and a three in one unit
attacherd and working.
Contrary to MS 324756 I can simply change between the scanners with a few
keystrokes. This is by using Presto Page Manager for Epson as the calling
program. It allows you to select input and output devices. Did back to back
scans with no problem.
Hope my input is usefull.
Mel
"shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
> In XP can I install a a all in one unit as well as a stand alone printer
and
> a stand alone scanner? I know that Win 98 will not permit that. I hesitate
> to install the 3in1 in case it upsets other settings.
> TIA
> Mel

Yes, it is helpful and thank you for the feedback.

--

> Thank to you all I have a printer, a scanner, and a three in one unit
> attacherd and working.
> Contrary to MS 324756 I can simply change between the scanners with a few
> keystrokes. This is by using Presto Page Manager for Epson as the calling
> program. It allows you to select input and output devices. Did back to
> back
> scans with no problem.
> Hope my input is usefull.
> Mel
> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>> In XP can I install a a all in one unit as well as a stand alone printer
> and
>> a stand alone scanner? I know that Win 98 will not permit that. I
>> hesitate
>> to install the 3in1 in case it upsets other settings.
>> TIA
>> Mel

Hi Herb,

What I suspected is that it applied to the native scanning software. If you
(or the OP) are using a third-party program, the article does not apply.
Meaning that you can use multiple devices, just not with the native Scanner
and Camera wizard. I knew that this was true of digital cameras already,
which is why I was pretty sure you could indeed use multiple scanners.