Old games on XP (AOE 2)

tiff

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
I have found my retail copy of age of empires 2 - The age of Kings and would like to play on my Windows XP machine.

The game installs perfectly and once I click - run - I get the loading screen then nothing, it dissapears, no warnings, no hang, just gone.

I have tried using the compatibility mode but none of them work (Eg windows 95 / 98 etc)

I have tried downloading and using the 2.0a patch from the AOE2 site but once I install that the game brings up a warning saying that the disk is not in.

However I can download and play the free demo (also from the AOE2 site) so i'm thinking there is a file or patch missing in the reatail copy I have that has been added to the demo to allow it to play on xp.

Would anyone know of any third party patches or have any extra advice - thanks

I run ATI 1900xt - latest omega drivers
Core 2 Duo
2gb ram

M3d

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I still love and play AO2 The Conquerors. Just use no cd fix. I'm sure you can find one at megagames.com. Don't know about any computability issues so I would recommend to remove the demo just in case.

tiff

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Awesome, thank you friend. I found exactly what I needed on that website and am now enjoying Age of Empires again.

Thanks, :p

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
age of empires 2 works perfectly on win xp we are playing it on 2 win xp systems, it newer had compatibility issues with xp for me.

and yes great game make sure u running it on max settings and resolution

also i use Microsoft Virtual PC and installed Windows 98 :) sometimes i like to play old games that only work on 95/98

catchnitin0021

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
hey frnd pls help me out...............m using DUAL CORE PROCESSOR with
2 GB RAM
ASUS PENTIUM LATEST EDITION 3.6
WIN XP INSTALLED ..NVIDIA GRAPHIC CARD INSTALLED 64 MB
but still when i play AOE 2 it hangs up..cursor moves very slowly................
scren scrolls very slowly in slow motion pls help...thnx in advance i hav already tried the graphic setin high low method but nothin works....................pls help out...................

TRENDING THREADS