Setting up accounts

I want to create three types of user for my network.

1 A hidden account that does not show on the startup pane, with full rights
and privleges

2. An everyday poweruser account with most rights and privleges

3. A user account with very limited rights.

I've tried 'Control Panel' > 'Performance and Maintenance' > 'Administative
Tools' > 'Computer Management' > but can't find 'Local Users and Groups'
branch in the 'System Tools' tree.

Any ideas?
9 answers Last reply
More about setting accounts

    Baffled! Charlie wrote:
    > I want to create three types of user for my network.
    >
    > 1 A hidden account that does not show on the startup pane, with full
    > rights and privleges

    As soon as you create a user with admin rights, the built-in Administrator
    account becomes hidden.

    > 2. An everyday poweruser account with most rights and privleges

    create a user with Admin rights (see above)

    > 3. A user account with very limited rights.

    create a Limited user

    > I've tried 'Control Panel' > 'Performance and Maintenance' >
    > 'Administative Tools' > 'Computer Management' > but can't find 'Local
    > Users and Groups' branch in the 'System Tools' tree.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    are you logged on as a user with Admin Rights? You need to be to see the
    Users and groups menu AFAIK

    Thanks Gordon,

    Yes, I am logged in as 'Computer Aministrator', the highest level I can find
    in XP Home. I can only see that and Limited User accounts. Guest is
    switched of.

    still no users and groups menus

    Regards
    Charlie

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:45:29 -0700, Baffled! Charlie wrote:

    > still no users and groups menus

    Folders for an account are not created until the account is logged on to
    for the first time.
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Baffled! Charlie wrote:
    > Thanks Gordon,
    >
    > Yes, I am logged in as 'Computer Aministrator', the highest level I
    > can find in XP Home. I can only see that and Limited User accounts.
    > Guest is switched of.
    >
    > still no users and groups menus
    >
    > Regards
    > Charlie

    then go to Control panel-user Accounts and do it there.

    but this does not allow me to create another type of acount or change rights
    etc. I'm still stuck with 'Computer Administrator' with no restrictions and
    everything working, Restricted user with lots of programs not working
    properly, or Guest user.

    I'm trying to create a user with more rights than Restricted but less than
    Admin where all installed programs work.

    Baffled! Charlie wrote:
    > but this does not allow me to create another type of acount or change
    > rights etc. I'm still stuck with 'Computer Administrator' with no
    > restrictions and everything working, Restricted user with lots of
    > programs not working properly, or Guest user.
    >
    > I'm trying to create a user with more rights than Restricted but less
    > than Admin where all installed programs work.
    >
    > "Gordon" wrote:
    >>
    >> then go to Control panel-user Accounts and do it there.

    I think that if you are using Home edition, the Users and Groups option in
    Administrative Tools only appears when logged on as The Administrator in
    Safe Mode? Have you tried that?

    Haven't tried that though. I'll give it a try and let you know.

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > Baffled! Charlie wrote:
    > > but this does not allow me to create another type of acount or change
    > > rights etc. I'm still stuck with 'Computer Administrator' with no
    > > restrictions and everything working, Restricted user with lots of
    > > programs not working properly, or Guest user.
    > >
    > > I'm trying to create a user with more rights than Restricted but less
    > > than Admin where all installed programs work.
    > >
    > > "Gordon" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> then go to Control panel-user Accounts and do it there.
    >
    > I think that if you are using Home edition, the Users and Groups option in
    > Administrative Tools only appears when logged on as The Administrator in
    > Safe Mode? Have you tried that?

    I've now tried it and am still getting nowhere. All I
    can access are the standard 3 types of account that are
    the default, I can add as many of each as I want, with
    any names, but in any group I can't change what folders,
    files and resources they are allowed to access.

    Sorry Gordon
    ..

    "Baffled Charlie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've now tried it and am still getting nowhere. All I
    > can access are the standard 3 types of account that are
    > the default, I can add as many of each as I want, with
    > any names, but in any group I can't change what folders,
    > files and resources they are allowed to access.
    >
    > Sorry Gordon
    > .

    You don't do that in Groups, you do that in the security tab of each file
    and folder you want to limit access to. You can also use group policy, but
    I'm not sure that Home edition (that's what you have, isn't it?) has this
    function.

Windows XP