Last response: in Video Games

Far Cry vs Half Life 2

Total: 41 votes (9 blank votes)

• Far Cry
  • 49 %
  • Half Life 2
  • 52 %
November 9, 2007 3:07:50 AM

I can't understand for the life of me why Half Life 2 is so popular and why more people don't just LOVE Far Cry the way I do. For a long time I couldn't get into HL2 because of a terrible Steam install. I've mellowed out on Steam and have even used Steam to DL ep1 and BlackBox. I like HL alright but IMHO Far Cry blows it out of the water. Here is why I prefer Far Cry:

1) You are never lost once you pick up the binoculars in Far Cry. I don't like being lost all the time and I always feel lost in HL games.

2) Far Cry allows multiple ways and multiple paths to meet objectives. HL is much more linear. Huge advantage to Far Cry.

3) Only one thing more annoying than being lost, is being lost in the dark having world's worst flashlight to light your way. In Half Life they invent a gravity gun but they can't invent batts that last more than a minute?!?!! Advantage Far Cry for not sticking me in the dark with world's worst flashlight.

4) Enemies: Head Crabs, hate em. Fast moving Zombies, hate em. Antlions, hate em. Man-Hacks, hate em. Advantage Far Cry (again).

5) Friends: Stupid pink dot girl that gets you in trouble, gets in your way, can't drive and isn't much help vs Dog (coolest thing in HL IMO) and Alyx. Advantage Half Life (big time).

6) Only one thing more annoying than being lost in the dark with a crappy flashlight is being lost in the dark and having some stupid repetitive physics puzzle to solve. Advantage Far Cry.

Verdict: Dog and Alyx are not enough to tilt the balance. Far Cry wins by a huge margin.

More about : cry half life

November 9, 2007 3:21:25 AM

I like Far Cry. Mods like Matto3 and Matto4 added some good replay value.

Waiting for Far Cry 2.
November 9, 2007 4:04:16 AM

Story wise, characters, atmosphere, etc I preferred HL2

Didn't get lost, Flashlight wasn't an issue, enemies could get annoying which was why I enjoyed killing them :) , some of the problem solving did get annoying but I didn't mind too much as it made me use my head, linear gameplay? sure it had that element but I thought it was pretty good to drive the plot/action

That's why I liked it anyway. Farcry I just couldn't get into it for some reason. Not sure why. I still got it, may have to fire it up again, see how I go. :D 
Related resources
November 9, 2007 7:42:30 AM

HL2 has a good plot whereas Farcry has the most disappointing story ever.
November 9, 2007 7:42:42 AM

HL2 has a good plot whereas Farcry has the most disappointing story ever.
November 9, 2007 11:14:32 AM

Half life 2 is one of the best FPS I have played along with F.e.a.r. I have completed it three times now and each time it's still just as good.

HL2....
Benchmark in Game physics
Decent graphics
Good storyline plot
Excellent variety of enemies
Addictive :D 

Half life 2 and far cry are both good games, but HL2 is the winner for me. Each to their own :) 
November 9, 2007 12:08:38 PM

yeah to each their own but Far Cry's story was weak and the game got annoying in the later levels. HL2 had a really good story and felt like it could be completed.

My question is how do you get lost when you say that it's too linear?
November 9, 2007 12:41:10 PM

Getting lost in HL seems next to impossible, its really that linear.

Far-cry is the boss though, far superior imo. You could literally do some levels however you wanted to, which was awesome. The level where you start on the inflatable and have to take out 3 transmitters was just awesome. You could just stalk and pick off everyone, or just take a boat and do the transmitters in any order. Total freedom, brilliant.

I only ever tried matto 4, none of the others, voice acting was bloody awful!!!! Couldnt finish it cos it just annoyed me.
November 9, 2007 3:39:34 PM

Half Life is better cos its storyline is amazing, the game flows like a movie and thats beautifull, Far Cry brought to fps games, driving vehicles and shot with them, amazin AI, total freedom. Crytek is making a Far Cry 2 and is pack with new features plus even better AI.

Half Life Pros:
Gravity Gun - Amazing feature, love this gun but i hate the little stupid puzzles in all half-life games.
Graphics - Impresiive graphics also rus very good on mid range machines
Storyline - Proper hollywood storyline, wirth arrtists voices and game flows like a movie
Driving Levels - Driving levels are very nice to play
Giant Spiders

Half - Cons:
AI - The enemys are very stupid and just fire at you on the same place, only the giant spiders are clever
Puzzles - The game i full of little stupid puzzles, i dont really like puzzles
Episodes - I dont see much point on these episodes!!!! They should start a new game from scratch and that it!!!!

Far Cry Pros:
Enemy AI - The best ever done, only F.E.A.R. have AI compared with Far Cry
Scenario - Those amazing islands are a beautifull scenario indeed
Graphics - Very good graphics but requires more horse power then Half Life
Cars - Driving and shooting in jeeps
Long game - takes you longer to finsh Far Cry then Half Life

Far Cry Cons:
The Monters look a bit stupid
Storyline is week, some voices are very stupid as welll

Overalll i prefer Far Cry!!!!!!!!!!

CPU: Intel Core Duo E8650 @ 3Ghz
Graphic Card: GeForce 7950GT
Motherboard: EVGA 680i SLI
HDD: Wester Digital Raptor 74Gb 10.000Rpm
Ram: 2Gb Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 PC2-6400 (800)
Cooler: Zalman CNPS9700-LED Super Aero Flower
Sound: Creative Xfi Elite Pro
PSU: Enermax 600w
Case: Thermaltake Kandalf
Monitor: 22" Asus Widescreen

Have a look at my Blog about games, hardware and computing!
November 9, 2007 3:55:36 PM

I have to go with Far Cry too.

I love HL 2 and think it's a great presentation, one of the best ever. But you're more of a character in an interactive movie.

Far Cry is the greater "game" IMO.
November 9, 2007 4:46:14 PM

Octagonz said:

Episodes - I dont see much point on these episodes!!!! They should start a new game from scratch and that it!!!!

Agreed

I would also prefer a full half life rather than these short episodes. Half life 2: episode one was enjoyable, but just far to short and priced near the fee for a full game. It seems it's a marketing ploy to rake in more money.
November 9, 2007 6:13:04 PM

agreed, but I think the OP wanted to know about the original games, IMO at first farcry is the better game, but once the trigen appear, it just turns into a normal, linear, very difficult, and frankly, poor game while HL2 got better as the game went along (ME WANT MAWR BLUE GRAVITY GUN!!!)
November 9, 2007 6:26:36 PM

spuddyt said:
agreed, but I think the OP wanted to know about the original games, IMO at first farcry is the better game, but once the trigen appear, it just turns into a normal, linear, very difficult, and frankly, poor game while HL2 got better as the game went along (ME WANT MAWR BLUE GRAVITY GUN!!!)

I've heard this quite a lot and I respect other's opinions, but I couldn't disagree more.

I'm currently playing Far Cry for the first time (I'm pretty sure I'm almost done) and I've enjoyed all of it (as much or more than I enjoyed HL2). So many people said "it'll start to suck when the mutants appear" but that hasn't happened in the least. Many gave me the impression that once you go underground you stay there. Did they play the entire game or just give up during the first dungeon sequence?

Perhaps it's build 1.4 that makes all the difference; I don't know. I never played an earlier one.

I don't mind the "story". I didn't get Far Cry for the story. It's servicable.
November 9, 2007 8:18:45 PM

I think honestly they are both great games but in certain levels FarCry is less linear. I think that I was expecting HL2 to be much better than FarCry. It is better in terms of graphics than HL1 but I'd say there is nothing to choose from between them in terms of graphics quality. AI is probably better in FarCry, Alyx is a hotter than Val - the latter is a bossy pain in the neck.
November 9, 2007 8:21:05 PM

These are my two favorite single player FPS games. Good enough to replay over an over as my hardware was upgraded. I really can't pick a favorite between the two, so I won't vote. I like the puzzle solving in HL2 and can't recall getting lost. I think I have leaned both ways back and forth so I have to say tie. Alot of people faulted the story of farcry and the trigens, but I myself got into it bigtime.

I'm also looking forward to Farcry 2 bigtime. Probably as much as crysis. An african setting doesn't bother me like it does some people who want the tropics. But I disagree with Ubi that Jack Carver was forgetable and not important to the game. IMO having him in the next game would have made it better. Maybe they didn't have rights to the charactor name?
November 10, 2007 1:19:24 AM

OK Crytek is doing Crysis and UbiSoft is doing Far Cry 2, which is interesting. Evidently both places have great talent pools.

As far as which Half Life I intended to talk about, well that is kind of a blur. I'm playing Ep1 right now so when I say HL2 I'm thinking about a mix of the original HL2 and Ep1 together. They are smeared together in my mind. Sorry for any confusion that generated.

Call me crazy but I like the Far Cry story. The binocular/radar works because Krieger had everyone implanted with tracking devices...I like having a reason for your super human abilities, the suit in Crysis, the "implants" in FarCry etc.

Bioshock has a great story BTW.

November 10, 2007 7:15:55 AM

Episode 2 is much better than episdoe 1 IMO. Kinda short, but fun.
November 12, 2007 10:39:59 AM

Far Cry all the way :)  way more replay value in it..
November 12, 2007 4:06:52 PM

For me it is not even a contest. Half Life 2 is a much better game IMO. I didn't even play far cry until recently so when i did play it I played it on my 24" with everything maxed and full surround sound. Half life 2 I played with stereo speakers on a 15" crt. I wish i could articulate all the reasons that half life 2 is better. Far Cry is just a cheeseball game. With horrific voice acting and yeah I only played it on medium but I don't think well trained mercenaries sneak up behind you and yell "I am gonna shoot you in the face" before shooting you. The Source engine is so smooth and natural where as the cryengine used in far cry felt stiff. Things like using the gravity gun to shoot a Giant saw blade and cut a guy in half... very cool. Far Cry just had nothing to hook me.. nothing to make me feel the game. Really though.. the way I see it, if Far Cry brought you the enjoyment that Half life 2 brought me.... then I am all for it.
!