[SOLVED] Why don't the MAC uses Hexacore

Status
Not open for further replies.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I am a Window user planning to buy MAC.

However I am little amazed to find that none of the Mac laptops come with a hexacore. I mean I like there aesthetic looks but inside they use pretty old hardware, Air comes with a dual core , Mac Book pro comes with quads at the max.

Hexacores are not just for gaming, I wanted to use as I planned to use lots of windows applications paralleley using parallelx etc but the max you can get is a quad.

Solution

NO REALLY?! :lol:

thats not true

Totally is.

OP, the only hexacores (apart from server chips) are AMD (and Apple doesn't use AMD CPUs) and i7-980/990X, which cost $1000.. with Apple's magical tax it would convert to $2000. And these are desktop chips. There're no laptop 6-cores, AFAIK.

Seriously, a power user like you won't see ANY benefit from a Mac. They're made for computer illiterate people and serve them well... for double the price. There's NOTHING you'll gain from Mac. "Better OS optimization?" A myth; worked with a C2D MacBook Air last week; as slow/fast as any other non-tweaked Windows C2D laptop. "Better...

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
I don't know if you're trolling us. What's the point of getting an overpowered Macintosh so you have enough juice to emulate Windows programs?

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with that.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

the reason is even without a too much hype about popularity of MAC, itis not very popular with application developers. I can see now that MAC is good when one wants to brows, do facebook, and check mails etc, however if you are planning to do some serious work with it, I think mac sucks.

I am a network security engineer, and most of my network auditing and security softwares do not come for MAC, ( this is making me think, why no, do they consider MAC in-secure ).. so I am bound to use something which can help me run those windows applications in MAC.

I hope you are getting the hold of situation now. I am a bit getting frustrated now, as I almost made my mind to have one, but looks like apart from looking beautiful and giving a nice HOME user's env, MAC has a long way to go.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006

thats not true

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

NO REALLY?! :lol:

thats not true

Totally is.

OP, the only hexacores (apart from server chips) are AMD (and Apple doesn't use AMD CPUs) and i7-980/990X, which cost $1000.. with Apple's magical tax it would convert to $2000. And these are desktop chips. There're no laptop 6-cores, AFAIK.

Seriously, a power user like you won't see ANY benefit from a Mac. They're made for computer illiterate people and serve them well... for double the price. There's NOTHING you'll gain from Mac. "Better OS optimization?" A myth; worked with a C2D MacBook Air last week; as slow/fast as any other non-tweaked Windows C2D laptop. "Better security"? Same as any other UNIX OS, and it will last only as long as the malware doesn't decide to target Mac OS.

Solution

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Another myth. My 3D design and music-creating friends disagree with you and loathe Mac. I've heard it SO MANY times... let me tell you why it's like that. Most of the "creative" people don't know $h!t about computers apart from their favorite program and obviously they welcome a Mac. Other than that, there's NOTHING more beneficial from a Mac in terms of creative work. I've heard that "a Mac is better for web design" - BS, web design has nothing to do with an OS, and same goes for other "creative" work.

theDanijel

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

Even that is not the case, I worked on iOS programs and done over 80% on a PC (artwork, graphics code, logic code), just coded the iOS specific code on a MAC using Xcode.
Honestly said, MAC is not a developer frendly OS, you cant do serious network related or buissenes related work on a MAC, not power user friendly, the myth that artist use it is also not true (I know a lot of artists and studios and not one uses a MAC), way too expensive (for the price of an iMac I can get a way better PC), ...
Macs only looks pretty (fasionable, gay, girly, bling,...), are for basic tasks (surfing, facebook, watching videos and pictures) and for people who don't know what is good, so buy what is expensive....

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

you think serious work in only in ART industry,,, haha.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
KO Ladies/Gents,

we are drifting from the topic. My intention ws not to start the mythological MAC vs Window debate.

I am just curious now, as why MAC laptops do not target hexacores.

I can understand for AIR, as in order to keep it light you can not have it Hexa as that will require a better fan etc and increase the weight.. but why not MAC pro offers a Hexa for those who want it. And I am not ready to believe that it is because of cost... well thats one thing MAC does not care about.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
OP if your serious about mobile computing power then drop the mac idea. Head over to http://www.sagernotebook.com/

You can customize a work station "laptop" with a 990x hexacore cpu. Dont expect to pay any less than $3000 though.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Not a Myth, its a Legacy. Once Apple had superior hardware over wintel, and altough it may or may not have nowadays, its doesnt matter, the OS is the benefit.

I tottally agree with "a Mac is only worth it you need to do something exclusive to the platform" To me that includes time spent in the OS. Thata benefit that any user can get. It comes from the way the user comunicates with the computer. You do things faster, if own one, you know it.

If you turn your computer and go into an Application, then both computers are the same...wacthing a DVD on Windows or Mac is realatively the same.

OP it has been said many times that there are NO HEXACORE LAPTOP CPUS. And apple doesn't put desktop cpus in a laptop like some custom laptop companies do. No OEM puts desktop cpus in laptops.

Mac is still a waste of money, ever since they switched to intel, it's been pretty easy to just install mac on a pc, save money and have better parts/performance. There are mac exclusive programs as well as pc exclusive programs and I've had preferences to use these but I'd never buy a mac for this reason. Mac or pc? Pick your poison, but I have to work on both. You argue mac does things faster, that's a load of crap, day to day activities are the same for either if you know your way around both.

halcyon

Splendid

Um, that would be BS and it sounds ignorant. The kids here never fail to make me chuckle.

However, there's no real benefit to getting a Mac vs. a solidly built Windows machine. As long as you can got a solid chassis (magnesium, aluminum, etc.), a good screen, a nice keyboard with little or no flex, and the class of CPU and GPU you want you can probably find a PC laptop cheaper. There are no mobile specific hexacore CPUs but do you really need one? With the 2920XM and 2960XM "Extreme" mobile CPU you've got more power than you probably need.

I currently have the most powerful Mac laptop they make and while I'm very happy with it its extremely expensive. If you're going to spend that kind of money and you don't just have a preference for OS X or Apple hardware you can speck something like a Sager for the same or less money and get a faster CPU, GPU, and HDD or SSD. Service and support may not be as easy as popping into an Apple store but perhaps onsite service options can be bought. If you're really serious and don't need something too portable look at the Dell Precision M6600 mobile workstation.

Now, I'll admit my laptop's i7 2820QM is quite quick. Running multiple VMs simultaneously (which I do every day with Parallels) can benefit from all the cores but hyperthreading on these CPUs really does give you a lot of power. If you're serious about running these VMs you'll want gobs of RAM. 8GB at least and 16GB would be nice. For best performance you'll want multiple fast storage. I use a Vertex 3 SSD and a 7200RPM WD Black in my MacBook Pro so I can run multiple VMs simultaneously.

My Mac Pro has a hexacore while it is more powerful than my MacBook Pro for running VMs its not night and day, really, which is quite nice.

...and folks, there's a lot of benefit to running VMs as opposed to physical machines for a lot of things.

Serious work, on a Mac, and it has nothing to do with the arts.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

All [:amk-aka-phantom:1] serious work [:amk-aka-phantom:1] you've described can be done on a PC. For half the price. Macs aren't the only computers to use Xeons.

halcyon

Splendid

Not this again. A PC with a Xeon processor (not that one is needed) is not half the price of a Mac with the same Xeon processor. You're right, there's nothing that can be done of the "lifeless white box with holes in the front" that can't be done on the lifeless black box with holes on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.