allowing someone on the network

we've got a small bed and breakfast.
i've just purchased a wireless internet set
i've enabled the WEP encryption

i want to allow b&b people to use the WIFI
what should i do ?
just give them the WEP key ?
but then they can access the shared folders too....

what's the solution
i'm using windows xp and a us robotics 9106 router/modem

koen

--
win free tickets for the culture club, cafe d'anvers, ...
http://www.free-tickets.be

Why not turn off WEP encryption? That will make it easier for your guests
to connect. You will still have to help those who have trouble.

--
Bob Alston

"skorvin" <none@themoment> wrote in message
> we've got a small bed and breakfast.
> i've just purchased a wireless internet set
> i've enabled the WEP encryption
>
> i want to allow b&b people to use the WIFI
> what should i do ?
> just give them the WEP key ?
> but then they can access the shared folders too....
>
> what's the solution
> i'm using windows xp and a us robotics 9106 router/modem
>
> koen
>

> --
> win free tickets for the culture club, cafe d'anvers, ...
> http://www.free-tickets.be

---

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:55:02 +0200, "skorvin" <none@themoment> wrote:

>we've got a small bed and breakfast.
>i've just purchased a wireless internet set
>i've enabled the WEP encryption
>
>i want to allow b&b people to use the WIFI
>what should i do ?
>just give them the WEP key ?
>but then they can access the shared folders too....

I assume your shared folders are on a windows xp computer.
if so they wont be able to see the shares if you set up file
permissions correctly. just deny access to everyone and make sure your
administrator password isnt blank.
a good idea is to rename the administrator account to something else.

with a small amount of effort your home computer should be completely
safe from casual snooping,

mind you if a dedicated hacker comes to stay and he is on your network
then obviously he will get access to your stuff one way or another.

"skorvin" <none@themoment> wrote in news:4117ba79$0$289
$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be:

> we've got a small bed and breakfast.
> i've just purchased a wireless internet set
> i've enabled the WEP encryption
>
> i want to allow b&b people to use the WIFI
> what should i do ?
> just give them the WEP key ?
> but then they can access the shared folders too....
>
> what's the solution
> i'm using windows xp and a us robotics 9106 router/modem
>
> koen

You should turn off the WEP key what good is it if you're giving it out.

You can install a personal firewall solution and block the ports on your
machine from accessing your computer; even XP's FW can do that. You could
use the router's static IP(s) and let them through the FW, if you need to
network with other machines on the LAN.

You can follow some of the security measures for XP in the link, like
removing or disabling the Guest account on your machine. Only use the
Authenticated User account on shares.

The Authenticated User account on a share requires that a user on another
computer trying to access a share on your computer must have an account
with the user-id and psw that's been created on your machine for the
user, otherwise, the access is not granted.

Of course, you would delete all accounts off of the share and create the
Authenticated User account on the share.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

Duane :)

TRENDING THREADS