enPhotic

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2006
I was looking at the shelf next to my computer, seeing all the games I have purchased over the past few years. Then I realized that quite a few of them I hadn't finished, for some reason or another. School, work, drinking binges, excuses, excuses...

Feel free to list any games (good or bad) that you haven't completed entirely.

1. Far Cry - you can bash me all you want for this good game. But this is a long one that I never got done.

2. F.E.A.R. Extraction Point - finished the original, just not the expansion.

3. Resident Evil 4 - I thought it was a horrible port to PC, despite great reviews on the console version. Lost interest.

4. Black & White 2 - I think I have a save file for the last land...

5. Splinter Cell: Double Agent - finished 1 & 3, but haven't gone past 4 or 5 levels on this one, don't know why.

6. Bioshock - I'd say I'm 2/3 of the way through? I actually like this one too.

I have never finished Neverwinter Nights. I just never really got into the game plus it don't work properly on Vista and I am not going back to XP. But let me tell you that NWN2 has great story and totally worth it if you are a hardcore RPG fan.

I also never finished "Brothers In Arms: Road to hill 30" - I didn't finish this because I was playing this when I upgraded my video card (onboard gfx to a X1650XT) and I started playing Oblivion again on ultra high settings with HDR disabled with 6x AA. I always wanted to play Oblivion like that, my old card was a 5200FX...

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I never finished System Shock 2 (got it a looooong time ago) and it just freaked me right out I never beat it.

Oblivion, haven't done the Thieves Guild quests, I got kicked out like twice lol.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
you know if you attack your horse, it counts as attacking yourself, and so you can get kicked out of any guilds you are in for attacking a guildmember (you)

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Let me think about this.

For sure:

1) NWN. I tried, tried, tried to like this game. It even had a small "wow" factor period near the beginning when you get to hire a henchman. But in the end I just couldn't get myself to finish the included campaign. I might try again with the Shadows of Udrentide (or however you spell that) that came with it.

2) Baldur's Gate: Throme of Baal. This one bugs me. I've finished Baldur's Gate 3 or 4 times, Baldur's Gate 2 once but I got stuck on this one and never came back to it. I got stuck in that room where all the statues come to life; it's a really long battle. I might be sunk on this one though because I think the PC the save games are on is dead.

3) The original Black & White. I got pretty far into this one but sort of drifted out of it and never went back. I don't see myself restarting.

4) Thief 2. I loved Thief and finished it and was really looking forward to Thief 2. But somehow it didn't captivate me. I need to get back to this game sometime.

5) Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. I didn't hate this game like most did (probably because I didn't spend $50 on it; I bargain binned it for a few $). I was even avidly playing for a while. But eventually I got bored and stopped. Any hope of me finishing died when the laptop with my save games crapped out.

6) This one probably bothers me most of all - Wizardry 8. I loved this game and played through a good part of it. But then I got stuck. I really shouldn't have been so lazy not to try and finish it.

7) Planescape Torment. I was very close to being done (I think) but I did something wrong earlier and had no recent save games to fall back on. I'm talking about the point where you have to decided whether to let a pile of skulls "collect" a certain sidekick. I was too pissed to finish.

Those are ones I can think of off of the top of my head.

Warlords IV

Civilization III - My expansionistic and megalomaniac style of gameplay crashes the game because of the 512 city limit and shear number of military units. Tried to tone down my style of gameplay three times, never gotten any further than the mid 1800's.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
lol about the meglomania, I never finished NWN2 either, but that was because a glitch broke the game, really close to the end of it, and i couldn't be assed to restart the WHOLE thing.
still haven't finished fear, but thats because my brother stopped lending me the disc, and i reformatted my hard drive so cracks dont work, umm... what else..... AOE 1 and 3, (i only got aoe 2 when i was about 9, so i cheated, a lot :lol:)
I also didn't finish the included missions in worms 2...... or splinter cell double agent... (variable types of games...)

spanner_razor

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Far cry, Fear, Age of Empires. There's others but I have every intention of completing them, i just have a large pile of games to play (mostly rpgs so could take a while).

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Halo 1, single player. I need to do finish someday but there are so many good games right now....

I'm stuck at a river in "World in Conflict". You gotta manage 2 camps and I can't multi-task well enough to keep both safe.

Never finished "Duke Nukem Forever" cause 3dRealms never finished it.

Nearly done with HL2ep1. (will finish soon)

GTA SA. Hate it! I'm some chump on a bicycle in getting shot at and run over by gang members in pink Caddys. Hate the console style controls too. Might never finish. Lost all the time, hate that too.

Don't think I ever finished "Descent". Got lost in that 3d retreat thing you had to do after you blew up the ship you were in.

Never got too interested in "PainKiller". Cool looking game but too non stop slicing and dicing for me.

How about games you HAVE finished??

Duke Nukem 3d (several times, old favorite back in the day)
Most of the Quakes and Dooms including GLQuake. (GLQ was an amazing leap forward in smoothness and graphics quality over software rendering)
Call of Duty 1, 2, not 3, 4 is in the mail.
Far Cry 30+ times (my favorite)
BioShock
Return to Wolfenstein
HL, HL2, and Lost Coast
Alice
FEAR
Maybe some MOH games, can't remember.
Unreal
Maybe a Star Wars Jedi Knight game in there somewhere...Maybe never finished, can't remember. Wasn't good with the LS.
Portal
Turok: Dinosaur Hunter
Shadow Warrior with Lo Wang. You no mess with Lo Wang!

EDIT

Forgot about Max Payne which was pretty good actually. Finished!

I left out a game that I was playing recently but totally forgot about.
Fate - Its OK I guess, too Diablo like if you ask me.
Morrowind - My bro beat it then I lost interest. Decent RPG but a bit on the tedious side with all that running.

Geese, the games I finished would take up pages! But here are a few of my favorites.

Nox - I LOVED this game. Nice multiplayer too!

Diablo - I haven't even played the other(s), great game at the time.

Warcraft I & II - LoL, need I say more? Good games.

FFI - FFIX - I know they are console games but I beat them all again about 2 years ago using an emulator and a good joystick. I Luv FF! :love:

Neverwinter Nights 2 - The beginning is VERY boring but it don't take too long to get into the meat of the game. I like how when you kill those guys they respawn in the Shadow Vale - I wish I could do that. Never did get that Golem working though.

Unreal Tournament 2004 - This is still one of my favorite FPS's. I like killing with the Shock Combo - and obviously the Shock Rifle is my favorite weapon. Being able to install on Linux is a definite plus!

Oblivion - Still one of my favorite games. I love shooting something across the room for 6x dmg with a bow. I also like being a Thief/Mage - easy on the wallet :kaola:

Guild Wars Prophecies and Factions - IMHO Factions sucks, but I beat the hell out of Prophecies!

That is all I can think of for now.

~SinxarKnights

Phenium 4 FX

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
I have finished RE4 2times in PS2, after waiting for PC version because of high resolution expectation there is only a little problem, a lack of mouse support which make you forget this version & return to your console!

Flingpoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Believe it or not DOOM3 is one I never finished.
I think I just got bored. After I got over the original creepy-ness of it and it no longer startled me when something jumped out it just became a pain switching back and forth with a flashlight and weapon.

The only other one would be Grand Theft Auto - Vise City. I'm sure I'm not the only one with that game though.

Oh yeah! I had two Tom Clancy games and I remember there was one I didn't finish. The game came with a Creative Sound card, so I didn't have a manual. I got stuck on a certain level and even after looking at a walk through I couldn't get past it.

I may give Doom3 another shot. They system I played it on didn't support the highest setting. Something to do with lighting or shader effects. I'm pretty sure I was close to the end too.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah I'm not a big fan of being lost in the dark either. There is a duct-tape mod that allows use of a weapon and the flashlight at the same time based on the idea that someone it the facility must have had duct tape so you could tape the light to your weapon.

http://www.fileplanet.com/143993/140000/fileinfo/DOOM-3---Duct-Tape-Mod-v0005

Flingpoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007

Thanks lakedude!
Very cool. Make that 1002 uses for duct tape. Assuming you have some on Mars. Really though. Who goes all the way to Mars without at least one roll of duct tape. :D It's totally conceivable.

I saved that page and will install the game again.
Worst case I get bored again and find a God mode cheat and blast my way to the end of the game. ;)

polarity

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
HL:E1 is pretty much in the dark for the first half (especially when you keep forgetting to turn the light off, walk over nades in the darkness resulting from a flat battery, and then your suit battery ends up always low).

I'll usually hit god mode if things are getting boring from just reloading the same save (not weapons or ammo though, doing the whole game with a BFG ruins it completely, although I did HL:E1 onwards with the 357 and ammo, when I replayed it for the director commentary). I'll play a lot of things through to see how the story goes, even if the game is a bit poor.

The one game I wish I could complete is Psychonauts, spent ages on that getting all the figments, then got stuck on a jumping puzzle near the end (knife thrower part).

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Games I've finished; the flip side....

Thief
Deus Ex
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Dungeon Siege (on autopilot at the end :pt1cable: )
Soulbringer (my most underrated game story of all time)
Fallout
Gothic (all possible factions)
Gothic 2 (all possible factions)
Morrowind (Dagoth Ur did help me by commiting suicide off of the bridge :kaola: )
Rune
Tomb Raider 1,2,3
Diablo/Diablo 2 (only once each.. got bored)
Half Life 2/ Half Life 2 episode 1
FEAR

ok, I'm done straining my brain for now. There has to be a ton more.

I don't even want to think about counting up the RTS, sports, and racing games that I spent probably 3 times as much time on completely maxing out.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

My horse disappeared, shadowmere, after getting the armor pack. (and no it's not back at the fort, i've gone there and let time go buy for months!)

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007

Dude the story finishes really well. I was actually moved. Sort of like the end of Fallout.

You should complete it.